Live bait bag plumbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sford1952

We are planning to install a live bait bag on our 1983 CHB 35 I have been told the boat wash down thru hull will suck air while underway so don't tap that for a continuous water source, so I hope someone can suggest a good alternative

Thanks, Steve

I'd test it first by seeing if you can wash down the deck while running. A scoop type thru hull would be best. You could tap off your engine thru hull.

I'm following with interest, hoping to due something similar. Now for fishing trips we use a 5 gallon bucket with a fish tank air pump during the day to keep the live spot Chesapeake Bay stripers love. It's a chore change the water to keep the fish overnight.

I don’t know what a bait bag is but I have a lot of experience with bait wells, bait tanks and tuna tubes. All work best with a LOT of water flow. In South Florida we often use two or three Rule 2000 bilge pumps in a flooded box. There are no shortage of bait well pumps. If this bait bag is of any size I suggest you install a dedicated pump that is continuous duty. I suspect you’d burn up your wash down pump pretty quick.
https://www.hopkins-carter.com/pumps---plumbing-bait-well-pumps.html

Attachments

• BF7E8D5E-4F8A-44E2-BB15-31CA09388B9E.jpeg
    BF7E8D5E-4F8A-44E2-BB15-31CA09388B9E.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 17
  • A39AEBEA-0F97-4EFA-AD02-87FD482EAF6F.jpeg
    A39AEBEA-0F97-4EFA-AD02-87FD482EAF6F.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 110
I think that it would depend on where the pickup for the wash down is located. If it is towards the stern then it would probably work ok. In the bow, probably not.

If your wash down will pickup while running, I agree about using a continuous use rated pump that taps into that seacock.

If your wash down will pickup while running, I agree about using a continuous use rated pump that taps into that seacock.

I checked the specs on the wash down pump and you're right, it was not made to run continuously, using it for my bait bag would have ruined it and my day too. After asking around this is likely the perfect pump: Jabsco #50840 series high flow low pressure Cyclone pump 29.7 GPM $250.00 Thanks

I checked the specs on the wash down pump and you're right, it was not made to run continuously, using it for my bait bag would have ruined it and my day too. After asking around this is likely the perfect pump: Jabsco #50840 series high flow low pressure Cyclone pump 29.7 GPM $250.00 Thanks

Looks like a great pump for your needs. It must be installed below water line as it won't pull water thru a vacuum. I didn't see how many head feet of water it will push, also your container must be able to outflow the amount of water you calculate after figuring in the head feet/high it has to push the water. A guess oat 20 gpm should be easy to accommodate. Good luck and tight lines.

Pump

Belt driven jabsco is the only way to go

Rules are commonly rigged for west coast bait tanks (and every west coast fishing boat worth its salt has a bait tank), but Rules are known to fail after a season or two. Jabsco makes at least one 12v model with a bronze pump head and replaceable impellers (Rule's are plastic housings with non-replaceable impellers), which seem to last much longer, but they are noisy and draw more current (though if I recall correctly, they are self-priming). With bigger bait tanks (mine is 170 gallons), 120v jacuzzi pumps are common, but overkill for a bait bag. With proper pickup placement, sucking air, aka losing prime, should not be a problem. Also, I wouldn't tie into the engine's pickup as I wouldn't want to reduce flow to the engine and I would be concerned about the engine depriving the bait pump of adequate supply, especially at higher rpms.

Back
Top Bottom