Lehr Propane outboards - Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can’t you just close the valve on the bottle?

I love the idea of a propane outboard and the 15hp Lehr is attractive. I have been concerned by the number of complaints about reliability problems that I’ve heard over the past few years.

However, like many things, usually the folks that are vocal are the ones that have had a bad experience.
I’m just using the 1 lb disposable bottle and there’s no valve. I don’t think I could make room for the larger container with valve, but that would solve this problem.

Dave I think Pack Mule is talking about the little one pound bottles that screw directly into the engine. No valve to turn off. The engines larger than five hp don’t use the little bottles.

If you get a 15, get the electric start with the internal battery. It is wonderful!

As usual, you were spot on. I didn’t think about the 1 lb bottles. I recall that you sold them. How was your customer experiences with the 15hps that you sold?

I’m just using the 1 lb disposable bottle and there’s no valve. I don’t think I could make room for the larger container with valve, but that would solve this problem.

With the small motor, I think the 1 lb disposables would be most convenient. I use those on my grill on the boat. The only issue I’ve had is that if I don’t keep them capped when not in use, the threads rust quickly in the marine environment.

Dave I only sold two 15’s and I bought one of those. I never had any feedback from the first customer. I once picked up a plastic bag on mine and ruined the pump impeller. Pretty easy fix. Unfortunately I haven’t put a lot of hours on mine so I really can’t speak to it’s reliability over the long run. It’s sitting on the back of a little skiff I built and I haven’t used it in about two years. It has the internal battery electric start. About a month ago I got to wondering about the battery so I turned the key. That little battery spun the engine just fine.

Parks,
You cranked it after sitting for two years ..
then cranked it on a dry impeller?
Tell me you had it wet in a barrel.

Sure wish I could convert my 4hp OMC lighttwin to propane. But it does fine to OK on gas using alcohol free gas. And always run it dry. I won’t give up my smooth twin.

Attachments

• EAB2C6D9-4143-4FCB-A91E-A8AF1B87952D.jpg
    EAB2C6D9-4143-4FCB-A91E-A8AF1B87952D.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Parks,
You cranked it after sitting for two years ..
then cranked it on a dry impeller?
Tell me you had it wet in a barrel.

Sure wish I could convert my 4hp OMC lighttwin to propane. But it does fine to OK on gas using alcohol free gas. And always run it dry. I won’t give up my smooth twin.

Now that you mention it, the impeller was dry. I only turned it for a second. I hope I didn’t hurt it. It’s got a hose connection for flushing. Next time I get the chance, I’ll hook the propane and water to it and see if it will actually start.

Dave I only sold two 15’s and I bought one of those. I never had any feedback from the first customer. I once picked up a plastic bag on mine and ruined the pump impeller. Pretty easy fix. Unfortunately I haven’t put a lot of hours on mine so I really can’t speak to it’s reliability over the long run. It’s sitting on the back of a little skiff I built and I haven’t used it in about two years. It has the internal battery electric start. About a month ago I got to wondering about the battery so I turned the key. That little battery spun the engine just fine.

I don't use my dinghy a lot, which is why I currently don't have the Honda 8hp stroke on it. Not worth the hassle of keeping gas on board. The Torqeedo is great, but there are times when some speed/range would be helpful. So I'm thinking a lightweight console RIB with a 15hp propane motor might be handy.

Dave give some thought to where you’ll put the fuel tank. I use a 30 pound forklift tank. It is on its side just in front of the center seat on my skiff. The 15 likes to run on liquid propane which is what forklift tanks deliver. Mine is made of fiberglass.

Dave give some thought to where you’ll put the fuel tank. I use a 30 pound forklift tank. It is on its side just in front of the center seat on my skiff. The 15 likes to run on liquid propane which is what forklift tanks deliver. Mine is made of fiberglass.

Thanks!

Fiberglass?
Where do you get it filled?
Around here they won't fill FG tanks.
A layer probably did a Corvair gig on them.

Fiberglass?
Where do you get it filled?
Around here they won't fill FG tanks.
A layer probably did a Corvair gig on them.

There was a recall on FG tanks a few years back and propane vendors were not filling them. I think that is all resolved now.

I’m still using my 2.5 and love the motor but it’s a pain to disconnect the 1lb cylinder every time it’s not in use. I don’t really have a space for a large propane tank.

I’m wondering if there is a way to turn the small canister around and use a hose to hook up the the the other connection for larger tank and have shutoff valve inline. It sounds kinda weird but it might work. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I’m still using my 2.5 and love the motor but it’s a pain to disconnect the 1lb cylinder every time it’s not in use. I don’t really have a space for a large propane tank.

I’m wondering if there is a way to turn the small canister around and use a hose to hook up the the the other connection for larger tank and have shutoff valve inline. It sounds kinda weird but it might work. Any other suggestions?

Marty, you need to get one of these 5 pound tanks and a hose.

71pzgRizALL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ted

Marty, you need to get one of these 5 pound tanks and a hose.

View attachment 105224

Ted
Thanks Ted, that’s what I need . It’s small enough to stash on the transom seat. I’m not using that seat anyway. The seat is too close to throttle/ tiller.

Attachments

• 021AF078-0D6F-4218-953C-4E38F3D61974.jpg
    021AF078-0D6F-4218-953C-4E38F3D61974.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 16
  • A3865EB4-02BC-4AB0-8F19-09B9B36F6588.jpg
    A3865EB4-02BC-4AB0-8F19-09B9B36F6588.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
If you can find an older tank without the tip-over valve you can mount it sideways, too.

If you can find an older tank without the tip-over valve you can mount it sideways, too.

I think you’re thinking of Overfill Protection Valves. These just prevent the tank from being overfilled. It won’t stop propane from coming out if it is tipped on it’s side.

The reason you don’t want to put a tank that is designed for vertical use on it’s side is that liquid propane will come out instead of vapor.

In this case the Lehr doesn’t care if you feed it liquid or vapor. In fact when you run it on the one pound canisters it runs on liquid until the tank is about half empty.

Most forklifts use a horizontal mounted tank.

You guys probably already know this but if you do decide gas works better for you, Suzuki makes their motors down to 9.9 as EFI. Other makes may have caught up as well. I’m in my 5th season with a 20hp that has always started by second pull with no special treatment other than a bit of stabil in the tank at the end of the season.

Back
Top Bottom