Lazarette Hinges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 1984 GB 42 Classic has just broken on of the lazarrette hinges. They are bronze and I think may be described as butterfly hinges, because their width at the two ends is larger than the width at the hinge pin.
Does anyone know if/where I can get a replacement?

Look up Kevin Silver. Pretty sure he's on this site. You can also search for him on the Grand Banks Owners Facebook page. He bought a bunch of GB parts a year or so ago and is selling them off. I bought 4 chrome plated lazarrette hinges from him a few months ago. He might have bronze.

I had full length bronze piano hinges on the outboard two laz hatches on my 1972 GB and no hinge at all on the center one of the three. I finally ditched the hinges and replaced with a strip of bronze bar stock. It made dealing with the whole arrangement much simpler for me.

I had full length bronze piano hinges on the outboard two laz hatches on my 1972 GB and no hinge at all on the center one of the three. I finally ditched the hinges and replaced with a strip of bronze bar stock. It made dealing with the whole arrangement much simpler for me.

What did you do with the bar stock? Having a hard time picturing it.
Thanks

Lazarrette Hinges

Look up Kevin Silver. Pretty sure he's on this site. You can also search for him on the Grand Banks Owners Facebook page. He bought a bunch of GB parts a year or so ago and is selling them off. I bought 4 chrome plated lazarrette hinges from him a few months ago. He might have bronze.

Thanks very much for the info. Unfortunately I can't find Kevin on the forum, and I don't do Face Book.
Do you have any contact info, please.
Thanks.
Brian

Greetings,
Mr. rg. I am also interested in your use of "bar stock" to replace hinges, please.

Greetings,
Mr. rg. I am also interested in your use of "bar stock" to replace hinges, please.

Here is a photo of the hatches with the bronze piano hinge on the near side of this photo and bronze bar stock outlining the other two edges of the near hatch. The fourth (opposite to hinged side) side of the hatch edge is covered by an overlap of bronze bar stock from the center hatch which has bar stock on all four of its sides. The far side of the three hatches, outside of the photo, is a mirror image of the near side hatch. As designed, the center hatch had to be lifted and removed before either side hatch could be swung open on their hinges which required a bit of acrobatics. It would have been simpler to be able to lift out the side hatches after the center was removed, and that was the modification I made when to old hinges died. I got some bronze flat bar stock the right length, width and thickness to replace the old hinges. That was about 20 years ago, and the bronze cost about 10 bucks. Don't remember where I got it, maybe Grainger or online metals.

Attachments

• dec pipe aft (FILEminimizer).jpg
    dec pipe aft (FILEminimizer).jpg
    148 KB · Views: 36
I got some bronze flat bar stock the right length, width and thickness to replace the old hinges. That was about 20 years ago, and the bronze cost about 10 bucks. Don't remember where I got it, maybe Grainger or online metals.

Mine, on a different boat, have SS bar stock welded together to for a square around the perimeter of each of two hatches, One rests on the other at the centreline, with the plywood base of the lower hatch holding the top one in a curved rabbet. Pull tabs in the teak to lift with.

There are many different solutions. I am sure you will find one that works equally well.

Why can’t you just contact the Grand Banks office. If you want the real thing, get it and pay for it. Older GBs are now a dying breed.

Why can’t you just contact the Grand Banks office. If you want the real thing, get it and pay for it. Older GBs are now a dying breed.
Your comment is uninformed on multiple levels. The "Grand Banks office" of today does not stock or sell parts for the thousands of "legacy" GB yachts that continue to command top resale values on today's market. The breed of legacy GBs is a long way from dying, and the newer models that can now be purchased new arguably do not belong in the trawler category that this forum is devoted to. The only possible source of parts for "the real thing" are on the used/aftermarket. Believe me, owners are willing and happy to "pay for" authentic GB parts, which (again) "the Grand Banks office" has absolutely nothing to do with.

Whatever. For all you know I own GB. You my dear are uninformed. All the best. But, I know what I speak of. Adios.

GB Parts

Hi Brian,
Glad you were able to find the hinges for your hatch covers. Do you have contact info for Kevin?

Although I am not in need of any GB parts now, He would definitely be a good resource to have in our file.

Thanks in advance for sharing.
Best regards,
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Classic #819
Potts Harbor Maine

Gb lazarette hinge

Hi - We obtained exact sized replacements from R&W Rope New Bedford MA but in brass. We then removed two bronze ones from the forward engine hatch and used them on the lazarette hatch. The brass counter hinges are still made in England! After a few weeks one cannot tell the difference between brass vs bronze! The bronze ones where available direct from GB factory but at a PRICE!
Cheers IRONSIDE GB32 #821

Brian and Joy,

I recently purchased new lazarette hinges from Grand Banks in Florida. They were an exact match to the existing hinges on my 92 36' Classic. Contact Garrett Guettler at partsgba@gbmarinegroup.com.

GB Parts

Halinbrier, you mention that you acquired parts for your 92 36' GB Classic from Grand Banks Florida.
Is this the service facility in Stewart? When I googled this I only saw Grand Banks information on 50' and above.

In the 5 years we have owned our 88 36' Classic, I have not been able to find any outlets for parts, gear or apparel for Grand Banks, let alone the classic models of our vintage.

I did just look at the parts Kevin has which is the only and most I've seen.

Besides Kevin, are there any known source for GBparts, gear, apparel and the such? It seems that with the many hundreds of Classic Grand Banks still out there and the overall popularity of the class that there would be placed to get stuff.

Any tips on this area would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36'Grand Banks Classic #819
Potts Harbor Maine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom