Juneau to ABC islands?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve lived in Juneau since 1983 and I probably heard ABC islands the first year I got here.

For wildlife, far and away more in north coast (Alaska) than central (BC), in my opinion. Where Frederick Sound meets Stephen Passage I have seen five different groups of humpback whales feeding at the same time. A lot of wildlife are best seen at the beginning and end of the day, and in summer that can be pretty early (e.g. 0300) and late (e.g. 2300). Seals are all over. Locals can tell you where to see (and smell!) sea lion colonies. Eagles and ravens are all over. Oystercatchers and puffins and jaegers and albatrosses are less common, but can be found. Enjoy!

Have probably seen more breaching humpbacks in and around Snow Passage than anywhere else in AK.

ABC’s

Live in Juneau and Meyers Chuck. Using the term ABC’s is very common, at least the last twenty years anyway.

So, if wildlife viewing is our highest priority, should we initially focus on the central or north coasts? Eventually we hope to experience it all.

After one summer of cruising SE Alaska our observations are:

1. Most humpback whales - Frederick sound along the southern shore of Admiralty Island between Carrol Island and Elliott Island. We saw dozens of humpbacks in this relatively short distance. Some were very close.

2. Second to the most humpback whales - North Sandy Cove in Glacier Bay. We watched humpbacks and sea lions for two days in our anchorage. We were awakened early one morning by the boat rolling from the wake of a breach. Another time a humpback gently bumped our boat. We also heard, but didn't see, wolves in this anchorage. Note: You can purchase fuel in Bartlett Cove.

3. Other places for humpbacks - Sumner Strait near Point Baker, Holkam Bay to the east of Harbor Island, and Seymour Canal.

3. Brown bears - Many anchorages at low tide in the aforementioned ABC Islands. The most we saw were in Windfall Harbor-Admiralty Island (don't waste your time or money going to Pack Creek), and Red Bluff Bay - Baranoff Island.

4. Black Bears - Red Bay on Prince of Wales Island. I'm sure many anchorages on the east coast of Prince of Wales are similar. For some reason we didn't see any on the west coast anchorages.

5. Eagles, Kingfishers, Herrons - everywhere.

6. Orcas - the only Orcas we saw all summer were in Peril Strait. It was a pod heading west bound that passed very close to our east bound boat.

7. Sea Lions - South Marble Island in Glacier Bay. Hundreds of sea lions hang out here.

Hope this helps.

More SE AK Critter spots

We see lots of humpbacks in Icy Strait, around Point Adolphus and westward from there. And later in the summer, southern Stephens Passage, near and in Port Houghton.

Black bears on POW west coast, and smaller islands west of Craig, especially in Port Refugio.

Sea Lions on the Inian Islands, esp toward Cross Sound. Also on the islands in southern Stephens Passage.

Sea Otters in southern Glacier Bay, and many places as you get closer to the bigger water to the west.

Whales - Snow Pass and Cape Fanshaw area seldom disappoint.

Maineman - how much fuel can you carry and what kind of range
do you have with at least a 10-20% reserve?

I can comfortably go 230+ NM (1.4 NMPG at 25 Kts.) before thinking
about fuel on my 28' Crozier.

A few reference points, from KTN I can go to -

Juneau, with a top off in Petersburg for peace of mind.

Around POW with a top off in Craig or Pt. Baker.

Warm Springs Bay via Rocky Pass with a top off in Pt. Baker.

From WSB I can go to Sikta, Hoonah, Elfin Cove or back to Pt. Baker or Petersburg for fuel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom