Interior bulkheads - Laminate or Veneer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leatherneck

Vessel Name
Devil Dog
Vessel Make
1987 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
I've been looking at Taiwanese trawlers 1987 or so vintage and they all seem to have some signs of water intrusion - usually under portholes. I looked at a Marine Trader today and the owner mentioned that the bulkheads in the forward cabin were a photo laminate rather than veneered. Is this common in the Taiwanese trawlers or limited to certain models? I'm also looking at some Jefferson's and was wondering if they also used laminated bulkheads? Not sure how to tell the difference with being destructive. I was considering light sanding and refinishing if veneer but can't do that with the laminated ones. Any information on this?

If they are veneered plywood then you may be able to sand and refinish it. But the veneer will be very thin so sand carefully. If it is a photo laminate I don’t think that you will be able to sand it. Then I would go with covering it with something else. The PO on our boat didn’t take care of the windows in the cabin sides, although it was a very poor design. The straight aluminum windows were installed on a curved fiberglass cabin side. I removed the windows and made fiberglass “plugs” for them and glassed the windows closed, they don’t leak anymore. I added 3 10X10 vent hatches to replace the light and ventilation. As to the stains from the water leaks, we just ignore them.

Get a good magnifier and look closely at the surface. Laminate will be pixilated, made up of dots or small hexagons, while veneer should show the porosity of the wood.
I would not use a modern laminate on a boat, as it usually has a pressboard or masonite backing.
If white is your color, there are some textured solid plastic 4 x 8 sheet goods at the big box hardware stores which might work.
You can also order 4ft rolls of teak veneer, wh iui ch can be cut to size with a razor knife, installed with contact cement, and finished like solid wood. Not cheap, but ...

There is also a huge variety of vinyls in various textures and colors, “grass cloth”etc. Look up Japanese cloth or woven vinyl.

Last edited:
Trying to sand teak plywood, veneer and overlays is tough to do without sanding through the thin top surface. Applying new veneer or overlay is pretty labor intensive.

And on most older boats, there are usually unwanted holes from PO hanging pictures and other things that need patching.

Least work is to repair the imperfections and paint it.

It will make the interior brighter.

Last edited:
On a previous boat we tried the teak veneer overlay and it didn’t work very well. So I sanded and filled the imperfections and then painted with Interlux Brightside paint. I used a HVLP sprayer and it came out beautifully. Very durable paint. But I had to use a forced air respirator due to the small area.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Does anyone know if the 1987 Jefferson's used laminate or did they use veneer?

Hi all,

I've done a bunch of work with mohagany veneers. I wouldn't consider it super labor intensive, for what it is. I now look for the pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) veneer -- dont even need to mess with contact cement.

Cut to size with a sharp knife or scissors, put on, really light, really fast sand, and finish.

Ive never gotten it to match original wood super closely, but somewhat close, and I do enough that there are natural dividers to make the difference less obvious.

My boat is not a Jefferson. But, it has teak veneer panels in most areas,and in one area, ie the sun exposed flat area behind the windscreen, wood simulation laminate. Despite the age of the boat, it is in good condition. I cleaned it and applied low sheen Armorall, it came up really well. I have seen much younger boats with badly failed veneered ply in that area.
Depending on the condition issues you find, and where, if it is laminate you may be able to "bring it back".

With lots of area the "wallpaper" used in office lobbies ,and in bathrooms ,covers well, iis not expensive and can be replaced as required.

The usual hassle is the bedding compound sealing windows,ports and deck fittings is not considered as a PM project to be done every decade or so.

Carbon fiber veneer sheets?

Has anyone ever used or thought to use, or seen used...carbon fiber instead of teak veneers on interior bulkheads, cabinetry, etc., on a boat?

I think I've seen it around instrument panels at some helms, and I think it would be a really nice alternative to the overuse of teak on so many classic boats that is a carryover from earlier boatbuilding times and traditions. Of course, wood veneers are light, too, which is why a carbon fiber veneer would be a suitable replacement.

A nice combination of wood veneers and joinery sure would look good juxtaposed with CF, a la this photo...

4b2e7c04-startech-bentley-continental-gt-5.jpg

In many climates metal & glass ports will condense water from cooking or breathing so a wall covering that will not show signs of the drips would need refinishing less often.

Some folks have made up teak to mount under the ports that can hold some water and simply use a sponge to empty the catch basin.

For some reason my photos didn't post...trying again.

Here's what I thought looked like a nice combo of materials. The photo is of leather and carbon fiber, but I am imagining that the leather represents teak because the colors are similar. Also adding a photo of a Fleming with carbon fiber as the backdrop for the helm instruments. Well, I'll try... :blush:

Leather ("Teak") and Carbon Fiber:

startech-bentley-gt-tuning-interior-gear-knob-864x864.jpg

Fleming Helm:

218.jpg

Back
Top Bottom