Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• seapiper-35-aft-perspective-1024-1024x576.jpg
    seapiper-35-aft-perspective-1024-1024x576.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 93
2006 Custom Kolby 68 Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Really nice boat, overall.

Few items I would not enjoy:

1. Pilot house windows too confining for unobstructed visuals. Though, great for really heavy seas.

2. Don't think engine room had stand-up height?? I require that; whether stand-up head room under a sole or stand-up room by having hatches wide open in the sole.

3. Those anchor-at-rest positions are a problem waiting to happen!

Numbers 1 and 3 are why I like to pilot from flying bridge. Even if that pilot station were available I'd still like the anchors in completely different at-rest locations.

Really nice boat, overall.

Few items I would not enjoy:

1. Pilot house windows too confining for unobstructed visuals. Though, great for really heavy seas.

2. Don't think engine room had stand-up height?? I require that; whether stand-up head room under a sole or stand-up room by having hatches wide open in the sole.

3. Those anchor-at-rest positions are a problem waiting to happen!

Numbers 1 and 3 are why I like to pilot from flying bridge. Even if that pilot station were available I'd still like the anchors in completely different at-rest locations.

The windows raised my eyebrows too. Not to mention all the windshield wipers would break my wiper blade budget. It really could use a flybridge.

You would think with a 5 1/2"+ draft the engine room would be standup but it looks to me to be about 5'.

Yep, the anchors don't very dock friendly. Actually, they look like they want to bite you.

Anything by Charles Neville is great!

The Jolly Man 57 should be a fast FD boat for her length and she ain't short.

Last edited:
Expensive per foot. Nice boat for cops! Not too bad if sailing solo with lots of cash and big charge cards. Not my cup o' tea. :popcorn:
BTW: Refreshing honesty from reviewer regarding accommodations and other items. However, his feeling that water conditions were on the rough (i.e. choppy) side simply does not pan out. I've seen hot tubs with more turbulence... when "adult" fun time was in progress! - LOL :D

Botnia Targa is made Finlad and boat is high quality and strong constructions rough water going boats fast drivings. Only 0,47gal /nautical mails diesel speed 26-30 knots.

Targa is CE-B sertifications boats Average waves 13 " with max wave can be 26" feet:hide:

https://www.targa.fi/boats/30-1

Looking at that Paravane setup, I thought a center mast was needed to distribute the loads generated? Maybe I misunderstand.

It doesn't need to be a centre mast, the a-frame will work to transfer the loads into the ship but it must be something a lot more substantial than the flimsy square-tube structure on this boat. This setup is perhaps okay at anchor in light weather, but it's not going to hang together in a big sea.

Looking at that Paravane setup, I thought a center mast was needed to distribute the loads generated? Maybe I misunderstand.
Dude

Dude: I was glad to see this example because I don't want a compression post in the center of my deck behind the pilot house, essentially dead center of my salon windows and no bulkhead below. A keel stepped standpipe would be in the middle of the salon. I figured to move the stresses out to the cap rail in just this fashion, and this is the first design I've seen do it without a towering center structure. Exactly what I had in mind, and the paravane polls can still be laid back for bridge clearance if necessary. Of course, gussets, local reinforcement and careful selection of materials is more important than ever. Now if I can just cough up the bucks and get Tad to do his magic.

It doesn't need to be a centre mast, the a-frame will work to transfer the loads into the ship but it must be something a lot more substantial than the flimsy square-tube structure on this boat. This setup is perhaps okay at anchor in light weather, but it's not going to hang together in a big sea.

True, but maybe you could send them a note telling them that the rig might be appropriate for something less weighty, like Oh, say a Krogen Manatee, and offer to design them something with some beef! I'd take the old kit off your hands later on.:popcorn:

Larry

So if Tad designs it, will you build it?

That's the difference between me and you-- you can actually build stuff like this. Well, there are more differences, like the fact that you are about 6'5" and outweigh me by maybe 100lbs, but all that notwithstanding, you can build stuff.

I love Tad's sketch of my boat (that he did out of the goodness of his heart btw) for my paravane idea, but there is just not enough robust fiberglass to mount that structure IMO. Moving the stresses out to the cap rails would probably give enough strength but I don't think I would like the looks of a squared off structure on my boat.

Do you have a mock up of the proposed paravane idea for your boat? I know you do, Mr Photoshop.

Last edited:
Cruising around the other marina in Rockport Tx. They have cooler looking boats.

IMG_1484349173.570301.jpg
A Buhler designed motorsailer. Wood construction. Pretty damn cool.

IMG_1484350289.045788.jpg
A sailboat with an oxygen tent. Not as cool.

T

Yep, the anchors don't very dock friendly. Actually, they look like they want to bite you.

Total surprise!!!:socool::socool: This thread is NOT GOING to address those anchors???:facepalm: Has the Anchor cat have the experts tongue tied ?:angel: They by them selves would warrent a thread or continuance of the many threads.:thumb: Really enjoy seeing the anchor discussions reach a fever pitch.:D:D

Al-Ketchikan:hide:

Total surprise!!!:socool::socool: This thread is NOT GOING to address those anchors???:facepalm: Has the Anchor cat have the experts tongue tied ?:angel: They by them selves would warrent a thread or continuance of the many threads.:thumb: Really enjoy seeing the anchor discussions reach a fever pitch.:D:D

Al-Ketchikan:hide:
I`ll bite. If the anchor looks like it will bite an unwary dock walker, surely it will bite the bottom away from the dock.

Not sure about the anchors but stepping through the photos it seems to me there may be evidence of some pretty significant galvanic corrosion going on in the area of the bow.

I'll see if I can link the picture....

'Glare' off the anchors?:D:D

Taint dem big purty anchors that gots me ta wincen.... tiz the accident filled placement o' dem babbies that's gots me ta flinchen!

Taint dem big purty anchors that gots me ta wincen.... tiz the accident filled placement o' dem babbies that's gots me ta flinchen!

Art,:flowers: give this to us again whets yu draw a sober breath:popcorn::rofl::rofl:

Larry

So if Tad designs it, will you build it?

That's the difference between me and you-- you can actually build stuff like this. Well, there are more differences, like the fact that you are about 6'5" and outweigh me by maybe 100lbs, but all that notwithstanding, you can build stuff.
Do you have a mock up of the proposed paravane idea for your boat? I know you do, Mr Photoshop.

First I have to pay Tad to spec-out the rig, but he already warned me that it would have to be quite substantial cuz the initial stability of the boat is too good and would really put torque on the rig. I guess it would either be a lot of small tubing or a perhaps less big tubing. The photos shows what 6" schedule 40 alum. would look like with 4" poles. I dunno, man.

And you must be confusing me with Hopcar. This old body isn't even 6'2 anymore, but of course after the Christmas pounds I just put on, I sure feel like I'm carrying the extra 100 lbs..:nonono:

Attachments

• Bucky with paravanes.jpg
    Bucky with paravanes.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 127
Someone mention anchors?

I only use a 10lb Danforth knock off on my 1000' luxo ocean liner. Anyone have any better suggestions? She kind of drags in a -1 knot wind. Oh and I also set at a 2:1 scope. In a 1000' of water. :rofl:

Vaporetto

I'm every now and then in Venice due to job reasons. Naturally they have quite an array of various vessels there. The ordinary water busses - Vaporetto - are probably my favourites. Especially the older and sleeker versions move seemingly effortless through the water. They accelerate up to operational speed in no time and they look very fit for their purpose. No ocean passage boats though.

I've seen occasional private owned Vaporettos no longer in city service. Some rebuilt to workboats, but also to house(ish) versions.

Attachments

• _MG_2782.edit.webcopy.jpg
    _MG_2782.edit.webcopy.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 122
  • _MG_2764.edit.webcopy.jpg
    _MG_2764.edit.webcopy.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 139
  • _MG_2797.edit.webcopy.jpg
    _MG_2797.edit.webcopy.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 133
  • _MG_2787.edit.webcopy.jpg
    _MG_2787.edit.webcopy.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 136
I'm every now and then in Venice due to job reasons. Naturally they have quite an array of various vessels there. The ordinary water busses - Vaporetto - are probably my favourites. Especially the older and sleeker versions move seemingly effortless through the water. They accelerate up to operational speed in no time and they look very fit for their purpose. No ocean passage boats though.

I've seen occasional private owned Vaporettos no longer in city service. Some rebuilt to workboats, but also to house(ish) versions.

Vaporetto water buses are great & so convenient there.

I love the very beautiful wooden limo water taxis that ply their trade in Venezia.

I took pic #1 in Venezia underway from VCE airport to the city, pics #2 & #3 at... lake Tahoe, CA side.

Attachments

• 2016 december in Venezia.jpg
    2016 december in Venezia.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 200
  • LAKE TAHOE 1.jpg
    LAKE TAHOE 1.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 144
  • LAKE TAHOE 2.jpg
    LAKE TAHOE 2.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 156
For history sake... :D

Attachments