Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only for a slow boat. Once you can outrun the waves, down wind changes from unstable to a fast and fun rocket ride. In 4 footers, down wind is the fastest and most comfortable direction to run for my boat. Just set engines to max continuous and start a cycle of slow down and climb, pitch over, accelerate / surf, repeat. All in good comfort and with just a light touch on the wheel.

Running downwind is a delight, it's why I fought my Bearing Sea mentor, and he had to get a video to convince me, down wind, down swell is the most unstable course. (it's also the nicest, and all the description you gave it.

Only for a slow boat. Once you can outrun the waves, down wind changes from unstable to a fast and fun rocket ride. In 4 footers, down wind is the fastest and most comfortable direction to run for my boat. Just set engines to max continuous and start a cycle of slow down and climb, pitch over, accelerate / surf, repeat. All in good comfort and with just a light touch on the wheel.

That's true for a planing hull in relatively calm [e.g. equally spaced duration and parallel] following sea gentle-swells.

Then there is this:

Confused following sea conditions; strong current and high wind.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...BC394121B8912504DACDBC394121B8912&FORM=WRVORC

That's true for a planing hull in relatively calm [e.g. equally spaced duration and parallel] following sea gentle-swells.

Then there is this:

Confused following sea conditions; strong current and high wind.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...BC394121B8912504DACDBC394121B8912&FORM=WRVORC

You know I’ve probably watched that video a half dozen times in past years and I just now noticed that the one in the lead has a batwing deployed, and seems to be able to avoid swapping ends much better than the vessel behind it.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Nicholson.JPG
    Nicholson.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 35
Nice ol' baby!

:thumb::thumb:

Looks fantastic until we see all the bright work that needs to maintained. Gotta either do yourself or employ a professional "varnisher" to do the work.
Personally, I learned my lesson on my N46. Just maintaining the rail cap was enough to decide to employ a professional.

Not sure but looks like an early glass boat... Waay better without that fly bridge and mast. Was probably a commercial boat. Not sure if there is a deal here or not..

Cold lam construction?? Some exploratory hand laminate fiberglass was happening back in early 60's.

I agree the mast appears unnecessary... not ample sail area... maybe makes it a bit more tippy.

And, she is a pretty design pre fly bridge; probably more sea worthy too.

However... I simply love to pilot from the bridge. Wonder if that skinny bridge can seat two?? Cozy! :D

All n' all - I kinda like that boat!

Is a Rawson 32 fiberglass built in South Seattle. Dime a dozen in AK. Slow and roll like a bad dog.

Is a Rawson 32 fiberglass built in South Seattle. Dime a dozen in AK. Slow and roll like a bad dog.

If they roll like a bad dog due to orig design... that revamped, top heavy one must nearly lay over in a sea of any extent??

If they roll like a bad dog due to orig design... that revamped, top heavy one must nearly lay over in a sea of any extent??

Yep, rolling Rawsons

The steady sail was an attempt to reduce the roll?

The Rawsons are glass. Round bilge and most have a tunnel. They do not have to be slow a light weight 300 hp diesel will get you around 18 knots. Lots of them have had rolling chocks added but they still roll a bit. But even with the rolling they are surprisingly good sea boats.

Saw this trawler in Fish Creek (Door County) WI today:

R615jE3.jpg

NsgpkCQ.jpg

Ei4K6CZ.jpg

Great Harbour GH-37 with some rather ostentatious canvas work on the boat deck.

I've learned more about different model boats and names of boat manufacturers from this thread than all of the other reading that I have done combined! What a great thread.

Raised swim platform, TV cabinet under the flag on the aft deck, 3 port holes on Starboard rather than than the usual 5. Every boat is different. We may pull up next to her if she's still there a couple months.

Great Harbour GH-37 with some rather ostentatious canvas work on the boat deck.

If you want to start a multi-million dollar business, open up a canvas shop for boats in WI. Gotta keep out of the wind, cold, rain, mosquitos, etc.

Our dual-console has canvas on it, and the sales guy said something to the effect of "it's a pretty boat when you remove all that ugly camping canvas". And I agree with him 100%, but man.... when it's 45 deg, overcast, drizzly, and windy, there's nowhere on earth colder than the waters of Green Bay or Lake Michigan! :D

Back
Top Bottom