Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw some really cool boats during our recent stay in Sydney Australia. Seems the museum offers tours of the harbour.

https://www.sea.museum/collections/arhv

Did you do the tour of the old Oberon class submarine HMAS Onslow?

If you have spent any time on USN SSN's you may have got a surprise how cramped the Oberons are in comparison. They were operated by the RAN right into the 90's and were even able to fire Harpoon missiles alongside the Mk48 torpedo.

I remember spending time on them as a Midshipman and they were almost prehistoric with heritage from WWII, but they were VERY quiet and performed well at RIMPAC for many years.

There was a massive step forward for the crew when we went to the Collins Class.

Last edited:
Adopo, did you see the Krait at the Museum? An Asian style fishing vessel, used by Australian Z Special Commandos during WW2 to attack Japanese ships in Singapore,
easily overlooked as a simple fishing boat it has an important history. Prior to its mission to Singapore the crew exercised and trained on the Hawkesbury River system just north of Sydney, where we keep our boat. There is a plaque on a rock in Refuge Bay recording its exploits.Here`s a Wikipedia sheet on it:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Krait

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 6
  • tri.JPG
    tri.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 4

If you have spent any time on USN SSN's you may have got a surprise how cramped the Oberons are in comparison. They were operated by the RAN right into the 90's and were even able to fire Harpoon missiles alongside the Mk48 torpedo.

I remember spending time on them as a Midshipman and they were almost prehistoric with heritage from WWII, but they were VERY quiet and performed well at RIMPAC for many years.

There was a massive step forward for the crew when we went to the Collins Class.

I did see that, art first glance I thought it was a Russian sub due to the way it looked, and noted the line of people on it, and thought, do I really want to get trapped on there by slow people? It looked tight from the outside, and I would have liked to see it but he admiral (boss lady) was not interested. So I saw Vampire instead. Any Navy ship named Vampire is worth a look I thought.

Attachments

• 20240125_111257.jpg
    20240125_111257.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240125_114756.jpg
    20240125_114756.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240125_115419.jpg
    20240125_115419.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240125_115650.jpg
    20240125_115650.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240125_115323.jpg
    20240125_115323.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Adopo, did you see the Krait at the Museum? An Asian style fishing vessel, used by Australian Z Special Commandos during WW2 to attack Japanese ships in Singapore,
easily overlooked as a simple fishing boat it has an important history. Prior to its mission to Singapore the crew exercised and trained on the Hawkesbury River system just north of Sydney, where we keep our boat. There is a plaque on a rock in Refuge Bay recording its exploits.Here`s a Wikipedia sheet on it:MV Krait - Wikipedia

Yes, I noted that vessel, but was unable to board due to the exhibit being closed. Thank you for pointing this out. Real men...

Attachments

• 20240125_130830.jpg
    20240125_130830.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
On galley up vs. galley down—as another owner who does the cooking, I like the open space of our galley, as it's part of the saloon, and we can talk this way. We either eat on the back deck (same level) or more often in the saloon on the 'settee-converted to lounge' arrangement that we prefer to a conventional table and bench arrangement (we are more comfortable sitting cross-legged, and we can both stretch our legs out if we want).

I'll head over to the Seahorse Marine site and look at the layouts of the 462s. I recall reading somewhere that George thought the sedan design was less ocean-worthy because of the window area, but might be wrong about this.

[later] Hmm. Seahorse Marine has a new site, and I cannot see where to compare the sedan and pilot house versions.

@dannc: loved the GB "fish bait" story—I can almost see it!

When I do galley designs I really see how the galley up really looses storage space. Our house has a fairly large kitchen and it is open to the living room, but once I start actual cooking, there is really no talking going on mainly because we can't hear each other. If we want/need to talk, the wife comes and sits in the kitchen. :D

For the galley designs, I have sitting and tables in the galley space so we can talk while I cook. :) If we want the view while eating, there is a table "upstairs."

Either George and/or Bill at Seahorse said that the sedan was less ocean ready than the pilot house 462. Which makes sense because the sedan has more top side weight. Having said that, plenty of 462 sedans have crossed oceans. One of the 462 pilot house boats was knocked down to at least 90 degrees and righted. I do wonder if a 462 sedan would have done the same. Heck, with the extra volume in the sedan maybe it would have done better? Anyway, we wanted the 462 pilot house or a large pilot house version.

One of Bill's non Diesel Duck boats was/is a rather large and beamy that was really designed as a live aboard in sheltered waters. A guy did buy one and took it across the north pacific to Alaska. :eek:

George was such a character. He really was. :D He gave us a ride here and there in his old diesel pick up truck. The interior was covered in dog hair which was fine with use since we have dogs. One of the 462 was painted brown/tan. Apparently the Chinese yard workers called it the Dog Poo Brown boat. :eek::D That boat happened to be on the hard and the wife and I were looking at it when George drove by in his Dog Hair Truck and honked at us. :rofl:

During this trip, we also did a Ponant Cruise around all of New Zealand, and was surprised to not see many boats cruising, I guess it must be the wrong time? I expected to see some Nordhavns and others like we did when we did Alaska with NW Explorations, but no.

I did see this boat. If I had a way, I'd love to cruise that area, and then bring her back to the US. I was told by the broker that this is indeed a Bristol condition boat. Should be stable, I think it has a nine foot draft? We have no idea what the economy will look like in a few years, but I wonder if you could cruise it there, then cruise it home and if inclined sell it for a good bit more then the purchase price? No worries about the $250,000 plus plus in the adventure portion. What a dream....

https://au.boats.com/power-boats/1994-delta-marine-63-rph-passagemaker-6917775/

I’ve seen it listed for many years.
There’s one in Alaska as a live aboard for decades. He made wonderful videos. It looks like a great boat, but that draft is worth thinking about.

George Buehler

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2013-diesel-duck-40-5950323/

I'm in the minority, probably, but the DD in wood is my preference. If it has been done properly, it will be quieter and warmer, and more easily driven. When I look at boats these days, at my age, I only want one that will last 10 years. I am certain that this one would. And look at the price!

But I am reminded of Hippocampus's remarks about layout: my partner does not like the galley-down design and the 'cramped' feeling of the relatively narrow beam. I have studied George B.'s books a number of times, and I am in agreement with his design philosophy, overall. The pertinent question here is, though, in a cruising year, how long do you spend crossing oceans?

IMG_2032-1 2.jpg

58' William Garden built 1952.. George highly regarded Bill Garden, and referred to him a bunch. I know Bob Perry and Sam Devlin also revered the guy. (Sam just bought a 45' Bill Garden wood, for his retirement Alaska cruise.)

Your question "how long do you spend crossing oceans?" My 58' is designed to cross oceans, similar robust stuff as the DD's. But located in Puget Sound, I can spend years not crossing an ocean. Crossing is not that fun..:)

Some of these boats look like the rigs we see on land.. jacked up, big tires, snorkels, racks, lights etc., they look ready to take on the Serrengetti..but they are at Safeway getting milk, or picking up soccer kids.

Nice to have the reserve of potential weather, but my gosh, with weather forecasting now days, hiding out is so much more pleasant. And a whole whole lot cheaper.

Last edited:

RIMPAC '88 the Aussie sub (Otama maybe ?) was crazy. Both at sea being the bad guys and on shore in Waikiki.

@trawlercap: your Garden is lovely from what I can see. That would be a forever boat for us. We're almost finished the slipping of our boat, and we're going off the slip at 'sparrow fart' Tuesday morning (local expression for very early!).

RE the Med Yacht 62- you don't see many boats with a full blown rolling tool chest in the engine room. Nice.

... '89 Marine Trader Med Yacht 62... Surprised by the 400hp 471TIB's for a displacement hull. Why not the plain vanilla 671s? Seems totally pointless to get to 8-9kts.

That's not a full displacement boat, not at 30 metric tons. She's SD. Heck you could repower with a couple of little Kubotas and still achieve 8-9 knots. With 900hp she must be doing at least 12-15 knots.

Funny how at that size they still put the washer/dryer in the engine room. Must have been a 1980's thing.

Funny how at that size they still put the washer/dryer in the engine room. Must have been a 1980's thing.

Maybe they wanted to take advantage of any sound insulation in there so you don't hear the washer/dryer when it's running?

Maybe they wanted to take advantage of any sound insulation in there so you don't hear the washer/dryer when it's running?

Or maybe it's "the help" doing laundry so who cares? :angel:

Could be

This looks nice: '89 Marine Trader Med Yacht 62. Too much exterior teak, but could be fixed by re-decking and lots of paint. Surprised by the 400hp 471TIB's for a displacement hull. Why not the plain vanilla 671s? Seems totally pointless to get to 8-9kts.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1989-marine-trader-med-trawler-9186836/

a smaller interesting boat for us, just 2 reserve :

-engine still too big for our use (and in France all the custom boat fitted with this brand they replace them by Cat and said consumption decrease a lot )
- will remove the "aquarium" on the flying bridge, never use (only twice when we pass under bridge with 3 cm gap :) ),

- steel tank after 35 years could be a problem (don't understand the capacity of this tank may be they want wrote 4x 1900 lt and wrote 1900 usg ? Or 4 tanks for a total of 1900usg ?

and at last the access to the sea , must make a new transom ?

@trawlercap: your Garden is lovely from what I can see. That would be a forever boat for us. We're almost finished the slipping of our boat, and we're going off the slip at 'sparrow fart' Tuesday morning (local expression for very early!).

Hope your slip down went smoothly. I recently hauled...we got 25' in the air, and the travel lift locked up. Warning buzzers sounded. Seems my 61 tons was too much for the lift to travel. They claimed it was rated for 80 tons, but I did not want stand around discussing it..(with my boat hanging up in the air)

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

54' Modern Yacht (Katy Krogen?) 58' William Garden Heavy Timber built 1952

Definitely a Kadey-Krogen. I think it's the "50 Open" model.

Certainly an impressive (and capable) pair of boats.

It was last summer, I remember the owners telling me the length, and I though it was just a few feet short of my 58'. But I could easily be wrong, my memory is not to be relied on..:)

It was last summer, I remember the owners telling me the length, and I though it was just a few feet short of my 58'. But I could easily be wrong, my memory is not to be relied on..:)

Kadey-Krogen's website shows the 50 Open as just shy of 53' LOA, so that's right in the ballpark.

Kadey-Krogen's website shows the 50 Open as just shy of 53' LOA, so that's right in the ballpark.

Good eye, 54' stuck in my mind. I see KK at 68,000 disp. Fuel 1,240 water 400

William Garden 121,000 disp. fuel 3,200 water 800

KK John Deere 230HP with twin John Deers option

WG..Twin Luggers (John Deere) 370 HP total.

Just making observations

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 11.02.33 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 11.02.33 AM.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 8
Yes, the slip down went without a hitch, apart from being soaking wet for a few hours; it was absolutely pissing down, and very dark. Once our boat was back in the water, we checked all the new through-hull fittings (by torch), fired up both engines, and moved her over to a nearby wharf, and tied up. Then we reset the cradle (fairly big job; ours is a power cat, and the next boat up was one of the Marine Rescue vessels, the unit I am part of) so it was all hands on deck. Then the MR vessel's props and shafts were removed for service and balancing. On land now, trying to get warm!

Two lovely boats above, @trawlercap. What does your WG cruise at—9kn?

Good eye, 54' stuck in my mind. I see KK at 68,000 disp. Fuel 1,240 water 400

William Garden 121,000 disp. fuel 3,200 water 800

KK John Deere 230HP with twin John Deers option

WG..Twin Luggers (John Deere) 370 HP total.

Just making observations

I enjoyed reading your last few posts and looking at the pics. I grew up on carvel planked, Gardner powered vessels and have a soft spot for woodies!

Yes, the slip down went without a hitch, apart from being soaking wet for a few hours; it was absolutely pissing down, and very dark. Once our boat was back in the water, we checked all the new through-hull fittings (by torch), fired up both engines, and moved her over to a nearby wharf, and tied up. Then we reset the cradle (fairly big job; ours is a power cat, and the next boat up was one of the Marine Rescue vessels, the unit I am part of) so it was all hands on deck. Then the MR vessel's props and shafts were removed for service and balancing. On land now, trying to get warm!

Two lovely boats above, @trawlercap. What does your WG cruise at—9kn?

Man that makes me cold and tired just reading..:)
I run between 7 and 8 nowadays. I try to keep it to 4 to 5 GPH. I am glad to have flo-scan meters. I can do 9 but the fuel goes to 10-12 GPH. At $4 a gallon I wince.

But she does slip through the water, barely a wake, no fuss. Smoothest boat I ever drove..:)

IMG_0996.jpg

He is highly revered by other designers. Bob Perry and George Buehler, Sam Devlin recently bought a mid 40's Garden to make his retirement cruise to AK.

I remember reading Garden's design books when I was a kid. My dad owned a lot of boat books and I used to read them for hours. One of my favourites as a kid was Voyaging Under Power (the first edition) which I read many times over while dreaming about crossing oceans.

I remember reading Garden's design books when I was a kid. My dad owned a lot of boat books and I used to read them for hours. One of my favourites as a kid was Voyaging Under Power (the first edition) which I read many times over while dreaming about crossing oceans.

WG is highly revered by other designers. Bob Perry that I talked to and George Buehler that I read, Sam Devlin recently came onboard, he bought a mid 40's length Garden to make his retirement cruise to AK.
Bob Perry said "William Garden is the Frank Lloyd Wright of boat designers." I had no idea until I looked into buying this boat. Bob kinda blew me away with this post.

IMG_3241.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom