Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a few more...

Attachments

• 8839086_20230428151158211_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8839086_20230428151158211_1_XLARGE.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 8839086_20230428151155298_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8839086_20230428151155298_1_XLARGE.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 8839086_20230428151238340_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8839086_20230428151238340_1_XLARGE.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 28
  • 8839086_20230428151247378_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8839086_20230428151247378_1_XLARGE.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 8839086_20230428151235311_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8839086_20230428151235311_1_XLARGE.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 8839086_20230428151250377_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8839086_20230428151250377_1_XLARGE.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 8839086_20230428151259397_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8839086_20230428151259397_1_XLARGE.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 8839086_20230428151311394_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8839086_20230428151311394_1_XLARGE.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 8839086_20230428151326462_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8839086_20230428151326462_1_XLARGE.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 8839086_20230428151347464_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8839086_20230428151347464_1_XLARGE.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 27
Thanks a lot. So what was your profession, raining on parades?

Oh, I thought you were making a joke.

That boat appears to have major structural damage - a broken backbone. Likely it was cruising shallow waters in heavy swell/waves and literally landed on a rock.

Best you can do is offer your condolences to the owner and walk away.

a few more...

Attachments

• 8839086_20230428151411514_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8839086_20230428151411514_1_XLARGE.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 8839086_20230428151417584_1_XLARGE-2.jpg
    8839086_20230428151417584_1_XLARGE-2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 33
  • 8839086_20230428151423535_1_XLARGE-2.jpg
    8839086_20230428151423535_1_XLARGE-2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 8839086_20230428151429554_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8839086_20230428151429554_1_XLARGE.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 8839086_20230428151432575_1_XLARGE.jpg
    8839086_20230428151432575_1_XLARGE.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 8839086_20230428151438561_1_XLARGE-2.jpg
    8839086_20230428151438561_1_XLARGE-2.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 25
I would investigate it with a showing. Alas if I had that boat I would end up with a lot of “friends” onboard, sitting in the saloon, watching me handing lines, piloting the boat, eating and drinking the free food and booze. No thank you.

I like these Cheoy Lee yachts, this one looks like it is in really good condition with just over 1,000 hours. Why are all of these boats so far away?
Somebody in the area should look at this.
/QUOTE]

They're not far away! You're just in the wrong place!:dance:
Buy it and make a trip out of bringing her back to East Coast. That's what we're doing. We couldn't find the boat we wanted on the East Coast, or Gulf Coast, so we're bringing the one we found back to where we want to be!:D

I like these Cheoy Lee yachts, this one looks like it is in really good condition with just over 1,000 hours. Why are all of these boats so far away?
/QUOTE]

Buy it and make a trip out of bringing her back to East Coast. That's what we're doing. We couldn't find the boat we wanted on the East Coast, or Gulf Coast, so we're bringing the one we found back to where we want to be!:D

Employ a captain and at least one crew member who is familiar with your boat and mechanically inclined. Load up with spare parts etc. By the time you reach your new home port, you should be comfortable handling and working on the boat.
I recommend you investigate their resume too.

I emailed the broker, note his response. It sounds like this is one of those rare boats like I have been looking for.

Hi Shane,

Tell me more about this boat.

Location?

Is it really as good as it looks?

Why so little hours?

Everything tested and up to speed on maintenance?

How much is the dock space?

Covered slip available?

What does it need? For instance, it looks like original electronics?

Bottom paint etc.

Best,

Hi, the boat is located in La Conner, I just listed her yesterday and brought her over. Ran flawlessly. She is in fantastic condition. She was used as a floating vacation home by the previous owner and kept in fresh water on Lake Union, thus the low hours. Everything is up to date, owner is fanatical on maintenance. Only thing that I would do is maybe replace the couch(just personal preference), the watermaker is pickled so it may need a few things. The dock spot in Friday Harbor is available, it runs about 850 per month. Covered moorage would be a challenge, I might be able to get you a sublease in our personal marina.

Shane Walsh USGG Master
Owner
Fairhaven Yachts
105 N. First St
PO Box 1531
La Conner, WA 98257

Truth... just the facts. Nothing more. nothing less. Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Would you purchase that boat at that price and "try" to repair extreme damage from an obviously severe grounding that crushed the keel and warped the boat's bottom plane??
Read some of the posts after mine.

Please let it rest Art. It was a joke. Capiche?

Venture Forth
46ft Nordy anchored beside us yesterday @ Lady Musgrave.

I wonder if she came to Oz on her own bottom?

Attachments

• IMG_20230501_070415.jpg
    IMG_20230501_070415.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
/QUOTE]

That's so cool! I wish I could do that. There was that Outer Reef in Oxnard I want to see, even had some kind soul check it out for me but just could not get out there. It sold for around 1.1, a deal I think, 2009 63 cockpit boat, one of three.

You should document your trip on here or in a blog. That would be interesting.

Employ a captain and at least one crew member who is familiar with your boat and mechanically inclined. Load up with spare parts etc. By the time you reach your new home port, you should be comfortable handling and working on the boat.
I recommend you investigate their resume too.

I like this idea, if I don't do it now it will be never.

Well, not exactly. If you are motoring your sailboat it should be because conditions are not good for sailing.

That is a convenience, not a necessity. Literally the whole world was explored extensively under sail (and oars) centuries before engines were invented.

That is a convenience, not a necessity. Literally the whole world was explored extensively under sail (and oars) centuries before engines were invented.

In that case, you could get out some oars when the motor quits in your power boat?

In that case, you could get out some oars when the motor quits in your power boat?

Port holes properly positioned = Oar holes!

Three people simultaneously stern-sculling off transom too!

Last edited:
I’m about as hard heart a sailor as one can be but…….
Think about the hundreds of thousands of lives lost off lee shores.
Think about the huge areas of coast never explored before engines as being inaccessible by sail so never gotten close enough to be explored by oar.
I will admit when alone and it’s gotten snotty enough I’ve triple reefed the main rolled up the headsails and turned on the engine. Although many sailboats have better AVS than some power in the snot power is less work. Now think of a square rigged ship v power. On which you you prefer to be a mate? Think of the lives lost on sail in weather.
I know when dodging coral heads or inching in skinny water the sails come down and the engine comes on.
Only once have I docked under sail. Then only because the transmission saving coupling failed. Scared the pants off of me.

No engines aren’t only for when there’s no wind. I’m a 95%+ sail 5% power on a sailboat. But I really, really need that 5%.

I’m about as hard heart a sailor as one can be but…….
Think about the hundreds of thousands of lives lost off lee shores.
Think about the huge areas of coast never explored before engines as being inaccessible by sail so never gotten close enough to be explored by oar.
I will admit when alone and it’s gotten snotty enough I’ve triple reefed the main rolled up the headsails and turned on the engine. Although many sailboats have better AVS than some power in the snot power is less work. Now think of a square rigged ship v power. On which you you prefer to be a mate? Think of the lives lost on sail in weather.
I know when dodging coral heads or inching in skinny water the sails come down and the engine comes on.
Only once have I docked under sail. Then only because the transmission saving coupling failed. Scared the pants off of me.

No engines aren’t only for when there’s no wind. I’m a 95%+ sail 5% power on a sailboat. But I really, really need that 5%.

All great points Hipp, which is why I was trying to say that just because you have a sailboat doesn't mean you are at zero risk if the engine fails.

I was once piloting a charter sailboat in the BVI when the shaft de-coupled from the engine (I don't know exactly what failed because I didn't have to fix it). Luckily we were just approaching the Bitter End mooring field and coasted close enough that a friend grabbed a line and swam to the nearest mooring. Also helps to be young in those situations!

That's so cool! I wish I could do that. There was that Outer Reef in Oxnard I want to see, even had some kind soul check it out for me but just could not get out there. It sold for around 1.1, a deal I think, 2009 63 cockpit boat, one of three.

You should document your trip on here or in a blog. That would be interesting.

We probably will. My better half does some blogging on Instagram and Facebook, but I avoid those like the plague!:D

Single Screw: The one engine stops working = Misery!

Twin Screw: One engine stops working = Not too big a deal!

It is meant literally and not figuratively, what is meant by this is the following.
Approximately 90% of commercial vessels operate with one engine, the remaining 9% are equipped with two engines to require better maneuverability and power transmission.
The last 1 percent is purely out of safety, think of lifeboats.
The most common failures when an engine stops working are due to a fuel problem.
When a fuel system is well executed, double filters (of a good brand), day tank, maintenance (tank with manhole), purification station, the chance of engine failure is very small.
If the fuel system is not in order, there is a real chance that a ship equipped with two engines will fail both engines, for example contaminated diesel refueled.
Two engines is an expensive affair, both in purchase and in maintenance.
It takes up a lot of space and weight, the question is why two engines when it can be done with one?

I would agree with you that most issues are fuel related, which is a good thing because fuel is a simple system to manage.

Thinking back however, the problems I had with 2 electronically-controlled engines were both electrical in nature.

Regarding a boat owner preferring a single or twin engines:

Each to their own and own to their each!

Fuel issues can absolutely take out both engines on a twin, although assuming separate tanks and no common feed points, it's unlikely you'll take out both at the same time. That said, in the majority of situations, a reliable single with plenty of spares on board will do just fine.

On the sailboat (one engine) we carried 12 racors. Before going Norfolk to BVI topped off in Norfolk. Boat had 4 fuel tanks. Two required topping off. Both got contaminated. Went through 6 racors and they still came out dirty. Wanted to make sure we had a functioning engine at time of landfall. So ran the engine on the two fuel tanks we believed were clean briefly. One fouled for one racor (probably what was in the fuel line). Then both were run briefly without fouling. Changing racors wasn’t any fun in open ocean and our available fuel went from 200g to 100g.

In a motorboat we’d been screwed. Two or one engine would make no difference. You plan at least 10% reserve. Losing 50% of available fuel would have been a disaster. Same with lightning strike and common rail. Or fly by wire. Hand steering any distance is torture.

Airplanes auger in if a key system fails. Think of boats the same way. Regardless of how well designed the boat is you’re still left with disabling single failure points without available redundancy. For blue water sail a common failure point is steering. With considerable effort you can sometimes (depending upon seastate) convert a wind vane into a rudder or deploy drogues or steer by trimming the sails out of balance. My current boat has hydraulic steering with no backup. It has two fuel tanks. It’s has one engine. It has multiple single point spots for being disabled. While shopping (even looking at KKs and Nordies) there are single point failure spots. For coastal recreational trawlers they abound.

Good blue water recreational trawler designs engineer those key systems to a point risk of failure is extremely low. Same attitude as airplanes. That costs big bucks, adds complexity, adds weight and uses space. There’s a reason good blue water boats (sail or power) cost more. But for my current program all this talk about singles and twins seems hair splitting. Number of angels on the head of a pin. While coastal you do not need to be self sufficient. You are rarely in situations where you couldn’t just drop an anchor and get help or sort yourself out with not having risk of loss of life. That’s not an option once the depth meter no longer reads but is for us.

Last edited:
In a motorboat we’d been screwed. Two or one engine would make no difference. You plan at least 10% reserve. Losing 50% of available fuel would have been a disaster. Same with lightning strike and common rail. Or fly by wire. Hand steering any distance is torture.

You made the right call by using the newly filled tanks first. Because of that, you wouldn't have been screwed. When you determined there was a problem and that fuel was unusable, you would still have been early in the trip and would have turned around (due to having only half of your expected fuel available). You'd only have been screwed if you waited until later and found out about the bad fuel 60% of the way through the trip with not enough good fuel remaining to divert somewhere.

Left behind one front and before another. Would have been interesting to turn around but you’re absolutely correct doable. You’re further absolutely correct captains thinking on power needs to be different than on sail. On power before undertaking a passage would definitely run engine(s) in every combination of engine(s) and fuel tanks. Even with a day tank. At that time I was a sailor. I’m still a newbie on power and a newbie to coastal. I come to think the shift in thinking is the hardest part of the transition.

Currently we are done with putting in a new bow thruster. For the moment everything on this boat works. Last few days and today it’s been quite windy. On sail I would have just left. Headed off shore, gotten into the Gulf Stream and made a beeline for home. Now I’m waiting a couple of days for things to calm down. Leave tomorrow. If feels so wrong from past decision making but is definitely right with our current program.

Last edited:
Thinking about it, I've seen quite a few mentions here of 10% fuel reserve. Personally, that's much tighter planning than I'm comfortable with. And on some boats, 10% may really mean you have half that before the pickups start sucking air (especially if it's not dead calm). I don't really like to plan with less than 25 - 30% reserve. If stretching it towards 15 - 20% to make a run, I'd need to have a diversion option and determine by a certain point how our fuel consumption is tracking to make the call to either continue or divert for fuel. If it's an open water "no diversion ports with fuel available even by jerry can" kind of run, then I'd really want a 25% reserve. With really well known fuel burn history for the boat and good monitoring, I might drop that to 20%.

For our boat, I typically plan to a maximum of 300 gallons of trip fuel with the rest as reserve / contingency fuel. Total capacity is 420 gallons, so that's about a 27% reserve. Annoyingly, once the port tank gets down to somewhere around 40 - 45 gallons, the generator pickup goes dry. So we wouldn't have to burn all that far into our reserve before losing the ability to use the generator if needed. Personally, I think it was poor design that the builder installed a shorter pickup for the generator to prevent you from running that tank dry. There's a second fuel tank on board and no ability to run the generator from the stbd tank (but you can run both engines from either tank or run tank to engine), so even without the shorter pickup it would have been impossible to run yourself out of fuel with the generator.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom