Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
!st off if you have not been off shore in any of Dashew's boats either sail or power, you have no idea about the ride quality! Like I said earlier We sea trailed Windhorse on a very nasty day. We were not interested how it was at the dock or light sea states, We wanted the opportunity to see conditions that you probably would not choose to be out in. The video is from Sarah Sarah that is hull no2 (the boat that we were going to get built) No special camera that is just how the boat rides, if you went beam to (which We did) the ride was the same.
If everybody was the same and boats were all alike it would be a very boring world.
Now here is something you have probably never heard of before.

https://gearjunkie.com/motors/half-safe-jeep-boat-overland-around-the-world

It does not say Nordy, KK, Defever, etc. just shows you can do anything if you set your mind to it. Peter talks about Kevin with his Bayliner, I think it is great but what about Doug with his Willard 30 that is doing the same thing? Alaska to Baja.
Enjoy the above read and can't wait to hear the comments!
Rick

Loved to go to English Harbor when the rowboats came in after crossing the Atlantic west to east. None were lost. BTW they’re the ultimate ultralight long, lean and low powered. Even in my best day a feat I’d never even contemplate.

. Cruising boats should be simple. Especially for those of us without unlimited funds. Although magnificent N and KKs are complex ladies. Given power draws solar isn’t going to be able to keep up with hotel demands as there’s just not the available space in those designs unless always in sunny clement places. .

Funny you mention the complexity and expense of N

Today I had a listing for a N65 pop up and I was looking at the stove and refrigerator
$5000 for a wall oven that does what a $500 one does and looks the same
$22500 for a fridge freezer of similar size and design to the one we just installed for $1500.
I'm sure this runs through the entire vessel making it $4.5 mill vs considerably less.

We run pretty much the same gear, just no where near as complex or expensive but at days end, they do a similar if not the same job

And, we have the solar to pretty much run those "hotel" loads

Funny you mention the complexity and expense of N

Today I had a listing for a N65 pop up and I was looking at the stove and refrigerator
$5000 for a wall oven that does what a $500 one does and looks the same
$22500 for a fridge freezer of similar size and design to the one we just installed for $1500.
I'm sure this runs through the entire vessel making it $4.5 mill vs considerably less.

We run pretty much the same gear, just no where near as complex or expensive but at days end, they do a similar if not the same job

And, we have the solar to pretty much run those "hotel" loads

What it comes down to is capital$$$ available - or not... And of course bragging rights - which do not at all attract me. Close friend recently spent $4M on house "improvements". House was fine before that - IMO - LOL

What it comes down to is capital$$$ available - or not... And of course bragging rights - which do not at all attract me. Close friend recently spent $4M on house "improvements". House was fine before that - IMO - LOL

Not really the point I was getting at

My point is that it's entirely possible to make an equally good and more simple vessel therefore easier to maintain on the go by using "normal" easily sourced off the shelf stuff.

Even if I could afford $4.5 million for a boat I wouldn't want it if it had weird brands and complex systems.

As an example, if the nordies $22,500 Wolf Sub zero fridge has an issue anywhere not major metropolis USA then what?

I'm sure Dashews are the same in some respect.

Attachments

• custom-northern-sea-trawler.jpg
    custom-northern-sea-trawler.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 29
Wow. The exterior is artwork. Unfortunately the interior is worn and the engine disappointing. Wonder what it would cost to ship her to the Congo river, rename her "African Queen" and charter her out????

Absolutely gorgeous!!!

The only problem is, it's wood. That's a full-time job, probably for more than one person, to maintain.

Absolutely beautiful vessel. If I had the money to pay for the upkeep, which I don't, the money to put it in a shed, which I don't, and the money to buy it, which I don't ,
I would take it in a flash.

It's long enough ago that I can't swear to it but I think we have seen it out and about in our travels.

Some number of photos in, isn't there two similars tied at anchor? A big me and mini me!

In the video Bill linked to, I saw the excellent hand holds in that FPB that could not be seen in any of the sales images I linked to many posts ago; the video is this one:

Glad to see them there!. The ride through those steep waves in the 'compression zone' the narrator referred to looks excellent, to me. There is very little roll. As someone who used to drive a 50' wooden trawler-style vessel, with paravanes, we were used to seeing/feeling a LOT more roll.

No it's not
Paint the varnish white.[/QUOTE.]

Talking bout varnish to paint!

When I was in 7th grade dad purchased a 38' raised deck, fly bridge, sedan style sport fisher... woodie.

Since early grade school I'd been working on wood boats' exterior [and interior] finishes... with dad. This boat was a one-off beauty that had been built by the lead carpenter of Brooklyn NY Navy Yard. Keel laid 1950.

Everything inside the cabin and outside for her superstructure was artistically constructed and fully-varnished mahogany... and I mean everything!. When we got her the exterior had been let go to bad condition in year round exposures to NY weather for too many years by her second owner. And, the fool kept stupidly having varnish applied over badly weathered varnish - you can imagine the thick, black spotted, rough surface, peeling old-varnish mess on all exterior surfaces. Most of interior was still the beautiful original varnish finish.

Well... we used her for the first boating season with her bad looking exterior varnish finish. Then we spent two off seasons in a row to strip her exteror to bare wood and we painted her!

Except for the bridge and cockpit. We did a beautiful varnishing of her fly bridge and cockpit interiors. Heck of a nice boat that was in the family for years. Painted exterior for easy maintenance/refinishing and lots of cruising fun!

Last edited:
That YouTube above of FPB70-1 is my brother's boat...(Buffalo Nickell)......It had been stuck in Japan for over 2 years due to Covid...He left the boat there Nov 2019 and Japan locked it all down a couple months later....He could not get back until a few months ago to get it out......He and Parson's got it to Alaska, my brother and his wife cruised for a few weeks and it is now on the hard in Homer waiting the spring.....He started with a 64' FPB, he and his wife liked it so much they upgraded to the 70'........They love the boat and have put many thousands of miles on the 2 FPB's and a previous Selene 53.....He described the passage up the West side of Japan as unpredicted and "lively".....

Someone asked why swell and waves always seem to look smaller on video; WRT to the FPB video, as a videographer, I can think of two possible reasons: most video is shot with a wide-angle lens (wider than our eyes' field of view, both to encompass as much of what's being seen as possible and to calm the movement of the camera, even if stabilised), and the height above deck level the video was shot from—the higher the shooting position, the smaller the waves look. Had the camera person been strapped on the bow, lying down holding the camera, the waves would have looked terrifying—and many would have gone overhead.

Last edited:
Someone asked why swell and waves always seem to look smaller on video;as a videographer, I can think of two possible reasons: most video is shot with a wide-angle lens (wider than our eyes' field of view, both to encompass as much of what's being seen as possible and to calm the movement of the camera, even if stabilised), and the height above deck level the video was shot from—the higher the shooting position, the smaller the waves look. Had the camera person been strapped on the bow, lying down holding the camera, the waves would have looked terrifying—and many would have gone overhead.

Good points. My GoPro photos on land looks comical. About 99% of selfies are taken with the default lens setting. I try to teach my girls to zoom in slightly to flatten the photo, but they don't listen.

The last piece you missed however is that photos/videos are 2-dimensional. We use to analyze 3-D aerial photos using just the twin magnifying lenses (very 1960's technology). Two cameras mounted in a plane in parallel. It was phenomenal and we could even judge height of structures and trees.

Perhaps we can convince one of our TF members in the Pacific NW to mount a couple of iMax cameras on the bow of their boat the next time they head into the Graveyard!

One more thing: In the article linked below, Chris discusses the interior of his Explorer yacht, relevant I thought to the discussions of FPB layouts above.

One thing I've noticed about owners of these new types of boats is that they are former long range sailers. Always talking about lee cloths and single berths and sea berths and such. You can see how they have to adjust their mindset to the stabilized powerboat world.

PS - I do like the short (1/2" to 3/4") fiddles on the galley counters. Certainly no need for the usual 2-3" deep ones on sailboats, but these do reflect that there is a desire to go to sea.

@Mako: agree completely re, fiddles. And with respect to induction stoves, I absolutely love these new silicon non-slip/non-skid things that you put in between the stove and the pot or pan. This seems very sensible to me.

A few more at the St Pete show.

Attachments

• 20230121_151908.jpg
    20230121_151908.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230120_180455.jpg
    20230120_180455.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230120_180444.jpg
    20230120_180444.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230120_180436.jpg
    20230120_180436.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 30
That's a beauty and Outer Reefs have a great rep. Is all that exterior teak real wood? Seems like it is....

Too much power, too little tankage, Volvo engines.

Too much power, too little tankage, Volvo engines.

I thought they were Cummings? Agree tankage is not great for that size, but still a great looking boat depending on your mission.

See below:

Attachments

• AF10E23D-8B5A-4A89-BBC9-DD839CCF88EF.jpg
    AF10E23D-8B5A-4A89-BBC9-DD839CCF88EF.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 25
From the actual listing:

PROPULSION
Engine 1
Engine Make
Cummins
Engine Model
QSB6.7
Engine Year
Total Power
550hp
Engine Hours
Engine Type
Inboard
Fuel Type
Diesel
Engine 2
Engine Make
Cummins
Engine Model
QSB6.7
Engine Year
Total Power
550hp
Engine Hours
Engine Type
Inboard
Fuel Type
Diesel

Nice boat, but seems a bit narrow and frankly, cramped for a 62-footer. When available on the resale market, in similar price-point and usage, my friend's Horizon PowerCat 52 might catch your fancy. Here's a 15-min video walkthrough.

https://youtu.be/JX0es8qMi04

Peter

I like it! My schedule made me rush through the video. What's the co$t?

I like it! My schedule made me rush through the video. What's the co$t?
As backinblue states, in the $1.5m range used, similar to the outer reef from a few posts ago. My friend bought a 2014 model in 2017 and paid somewhere in that range (I don't know for sure). He could sell it this afternoon for roughly what he paid for it minus commission and whatever else he put in the boat. I'd never heard of Horizon before but apparently they are a large and respected builder - the PC52 is an entry level boat. Resale emails strong amongst buyers of new boats who don't want to be boatless while their 'real' boat gets built. Rich folk problems.

Not my cup of tea, but nice to have friends. Great Bahamas boat.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom