Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and isn't that CQR the wrong anchor?
Yes! An Aussie designed and Aussie built boat should have an Aussie anchor.
One like this:
sarca-excel-gal.jpg

We have a heavy CQR anchor (~50Kg) and an all-chain rode and, so far, it has never dragged. We are in a marina at the moment (Shellharbour), and walking around seeing all of the Rivieras with tiny anchors – you can only think that they probably are never used. The Dashew-built FPB in the berth near us on the other hand has a large, heavy Spade-type anchor that looks the business. The new owner apparently just drove her back to here from New York... I hope to meet him later. Sorry, thread drift! :)

Speaking of ground tackle brings to mind my surveying experience on the West coast with Hatteras on the West coast namely Newport, CA. I inspected several new 46’ Convertible sportfish models that had nothing but a dinky Galley Maid vertical windlass with like a shot of 5/16” chain backed up with 3/4” nylon rode and a 36# HT Danforth. I wrote the survey up with inadequate ground tackle and every time got flax. Hatteras’s reply was it’s adequate for these boats as the buyers didn’t anchor ? Never got over that and buyers didn’t seem to care

Rick

Speaking of ground tackle brings to mind my surveying experience on the West coast with Hatteras on the West coast namely Newport, CA. I inspected several new 46’ Convertible sportfish models that had nothing but a dinky Galley Maid vertical windlass with like a shot of 5/16” chain backed up with 3/4” nylon rode and a 36# HT Danforth. I wrote the survey up with inadequate ground tackle and every time got flax. Hatteras’s reply was it’s adequate for these boats as the buyers didn’t anchor ? Never got over that and buyers didn’t seem to care

Rick

100mph out, drift and fish, 100mph back, hit the bar.

Rick

Hatteras was right. That anchor was there because there needed to be one, not because their target customer ever expected to use it. And those that wanted to use it probably wanted to pick out their own gear anyway.

Yes! An Aussie designed and Aussie built boat should have an Aussie anchor.
One like this:
sarca-excel-gal.jpg

Mate of ours went for one of these and swears it is worse than the lewmar delta it replaced.

They are full time cruisers, anchoring out most nights.

Mate of ours went for one of these and swears it is worse than the lewmar delta it replaced.

They are full time cruisers, anchoring out most nights.
Anchor evaluation is tough. Upthread, someone swears by CQR which are generally long out of favor. Bruce are still popular in PNW even though they too are long out of favor. SV Panope, the best evaluator going, ranks the Excel at or near top of heap. Go figure.

Peter Screenshot_20230114_203312_DuckDuckGo.jpg

First purchase for our new to us boat was a Vulcan (top of Peter’s list) to replace a Delta. Agree a fortress is good for loose mud. But it’s lousy in anything else. Skips on grass. Does not grab on compacted sand or dirt. Dislodges and doesn’t reset with tidal shifts.(same problem with Rocna). We carry a fortress and use it in loose mud but as the Wizard of Bristol said no anchor works for every bottom. Fortress is best for only one. The Vulcan is even better than a prior Rocna as your primary anchor in my experience if you face mixed types of bottoms and significant shifts. Even feel comfortable with 3:1 when necessary.

Last edited:
First purchase for our new to us boat was a Vulcan (top of Peter’s list) to replace a Delta. Agree a fortress is good for loose mud. But it’s lousy in anything else. Skips on grass. Does not grab on compacted sand or dirt. Dislodges and doesn’t reset with tidal shifts.(same problem with Rocna). We carry a fortress and use it in loose mud but as the Wizard of Bristol said no anchor works for every bottom. Fortress is best for only one.

The Fortress is also good for excellent straight line holding power in sand and some other bottoms (pretty much any bottom it'll set in). But that capability is special use, as it can't be trusted to re-set or handle a direction change in most bottoms.

The Fortress is also good for excellent straight line holding power in sand and some other bottoms (pretty much any bottom it'll set in). But that capability is special use, as it can't be trusted to re-set or handle a direction change in most bottoms.

Although I've not bothered to accomplish and test this theory:

Upon my Fortress FX-23 [or any other Danforth design anchor] I believe there could be four "relatively sharp digger-extensions" fastened onto to the leading pointed edges of each fluke.

These extensions would extend just a couple inches in both directions [at approximate 33 degree angle] off the flukes' points. Therefore, no matter how the anchor's flukes were being drawn parallel to whatever ocean bottom existed those "digger-extensions" would/could enable the flukes to begin to dig in. So... once the main flukes have begun to dig into bottom their continued deeper dig would occur. :popcorn: :thumb: :socool:

Although I've not bothered to accomplish and test this theory:

Upon my Fortress FX-23 [or any other Danforth design anchor] I believe there could be four "relatively sharp digger-extensions" fastened onto to the leading pointed edges of each fluke.

These extensions would extend just a couple inches in both directions [at approximate 33 degree angle] off the flukes' points. Therefore, no matter how the anchor's flukes were being drawn parallel to whatever ocean bottom existed those "digger-extensions" would/could enable the flukes to begin to dig in. So... once the main flukes have begun to dig into bottom their continued deeper dig would occur. :popcorn: :thumb: :socool:

It might help, but often when they don't reset, it's because the pivot has gotten packed full of mud or debris and the flukes can't move. In that situation, depending on what's going on when there, you can end up with the flukes pointing up instead of down, so they don't get a chance to dig in.

In a very soft bottom it's less likely to pull out and flip (and may just rotate in place), so it's less of an issue.

Just because one can doesn't mean one should.

HOLLYWOOD

My take was it looked like off-base housing for an enlisted guy, a "bachelor pad" as they used to say. I'm sure he had his reasons......and I'm guessing there's a lot of DNA scattered around that boat.

Peter

Why is it that so many people list their boats without making an effort to cleanup the interior or stage it even a little? That boat looks like a swine house

Why is it that so many people list their boats without making an effort to cleanup the interior or stage it even a little? That boat looks like a swine house

Just maybe the boat was cleaned up. Cleanliness can be rather subjective and why as a ex-surveyor I’ve had every hepatitis shot they offer. Especially when you consider hulls coming in from all over the world.

Rick

I agree and I often think the same looking at boat ads, but then again, that alone tells you a lot!

I agree and I often think the same looking at boat ads, but then again, that alone tells you a lot!

It sure does. Very insightful observation and like you I’ve relied on your instincts when surveying

Rick

Here we go
Fiberglass ex navy minehunter and a catamaran for $500k
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/ex-navy-bay-class-minehunter/277549

0_4.jpg

1_4.jpg

Further info on the engine/generator/hydraulic propulsion

https://trid.trb.org/view/429190

I'd like to see interior... inc propulsion layout and its room. That's an updated hull design and propulsion type of "John Wayne" style cruiser! Couple $Mill$ improvement$ should have her ready to play!

Comparing our little Tolly's avatar to the top photo... unusual profile similarity - LOL

Last edited:
It is logic

[URL="https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1976-winner-sports-fisherman-7881372/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paid%2520social&utm_campaign=yw%2520us%2520fb%2520dynamic%2520re&utm_content=dynamic%2520retargeting%2520us&fbclid=IwAR3uwuF7eKu0nOCjJU6snITIb5gc2iL0CpgePDWzm5EYag35XOKPJ8s0j5k" said:
k[/URL]
This 28' boat with a hot tub qualifies as interesting to me. Very interesting use of the old engine space after an outboard conversion. Certainly is a conversation piece.
Because in France the cockpit name is "baignoire" :thumb: A well chosen name !

Last edited:
That's a very large fiberglass hull. Something to do with the mine hunting? I'd have thought they'd build a vessel like that out of steel or Al. Did they build a mold and make multiple copies?

I like: 2 cabins, 2 heads, 17 berths - not a typical cruising cat ratio!
The vessel was designed to have a very low magnetic signature at the waterline.
It even has the engines deck mounted and the azimuth props are hydraulic driven.

The vessel was designed to have a very low magnetic signature at the waterline.
It even has the engines deck mounted and the azimuth props are hydraulic driven.

Ahh got it. Deck mounted engines -> weird stability, hence the need for two hulls I suppose.

Some aspiring YouTuber could make a whole career out of fixing up that boat!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom