Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look at this awesome Vantare Custom Flybridge Motoryacht I found on YachtWorld! https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1991-vantare-custom-flybridge-motoryacht-7522827/

Seems like a low price for that size fiberglass yacht. I wonder how much work it would be to cut the nose off of it, turn it into a plumb bow, and save about 15 feet per month in dockage fees???

Amazes me how someone owns such an expensive asset and still totally neglects the engine room. Perhaps has been sitting unused for the last decade.

The first thing I think about on big boats like that is, how much will it cost to wax that thing. Because no way I can do it myself.

Then I wonder, how much will it cost to dock it?

Then I ask, how much will it cost to maintain all the systems, because I’d never be able to keep up with all of it myself.

Then I like my little boat again.

The first thing I think about on big boats like that is, how much will it cost to wax that thing. Because no way I can do it myself.

Then I ask, how much will it cost to maintain all the systems, because I’d never be able to keep up with all of it myself.

Then I like my little boat again.

Don't forget dock fees and insurance. I like my little boat.

Don't forget dock fees and insurance. I like my little boat.

And, of course...

Don't forget per-foot haul out and bottom paint cost... not to mention per-foot cost each quarterly wet dive bottom cleaning. I like my little boat!! :dance: :speed boat:

Yeah honestly a liveaboard floating condo might be the best and highest use of a big boat like that. There are a few similar vessels around here in San Diego that I've never once seen leave their massive and expensive slips.

Keeping a vessel like that in top condition & ready to leave at a moment's notice would cost a fortune, and I suspect most who could afford it would pick a different (and likely more expensive) boat to start with. Most owners would want a crew as well for that size vessel; a level of expense I can't really even imagine.

Aluminum Chris Craft, circa 1965? This boat came into yard in Ensenada yesterday. I feel bad for the owner - he hired the same crooks who clipped me (NizaMarine.net). Hope his story ends better - it's a nice boat. Would be good to see her in top condition.

I like these classic "wheelhouse" style motoryachts. Shame they fell out of favor.

Peter 578430020.jpg20221209_095109.jpg

Looks like a nice boat. Age-wise, an aluminum Roamer would generally be anywhere from mid-60s to early 70s. They started out in steel and gradually transitioned various models to aluminum in that time frame.

Aluminum Chris Craft, circa 1965? This boat came into yard in Ensenada yesterday. I feel bad for the owner - he hired the same crooks who clipped me (NizaMarine.net). Hope his story ends better - it's a nice boat. Would be good to see her in top condition.

I like these classic "wheelhouse" style motoryachts. Shame they fell out of favor.

Peter View attachment 134337View attachment 134338

I like those boats too... especially the ones with a fly bridge included on top!

Those Tr-Cabin Chris Roamers are old school elegant inside, lots of power good handling and real comfortable as near coastal motor yachts. All were built in the special Roamer Division of Chris Craft in Pompano Beach. I’ve surveyed maybe a dozen including a rare 73’ model that had a Geiko problem. But be careful the earlier Roamers I was told use 5000 alum plate ( little or no chromium in the alloy ). They are therefore more suspecitble to corrosive wastage or pitting. I’ve never seen a steel hulled Roamer. Anyway a thorough UT or audiogauge underbody inspection is mandatory. With new coatings and 5052 plating the problem is minimized unless you tie up in a hot slip or have DC leakage onboard. I’ve sea trialed quite a few and they really are nice comfortable yachts

Rick

Those Tr-Cabin Chris Roamers are old school elegant inside, lots of power good handling and real comfortable as near coastal motor yachts. All were built in the special Roamer Division of Chris Craft in Pompano Beach. I’ve surveyed maybe a dozen including a rare 73’ model that had a Geiko problem. But be careful the earlier Roamers I was told use 5000 alum plate ( little or no chromium in the alloy ). They are therefore more suspecitble to corrosive wastage or pitting. I’ve never seen a steel hulled Roamer. Anyway a thorough UT or audiogauge underbody inspection is mandatory. With new coatings and 5052 plating the problem is minimized unless you tie up in a hot slip or have DC leakage onboard. I’ve sea trialed quite a few and they really are nice comfortable yachts

Rick

These days the steel Roamers aren't as common. I don't think they ever built steel ones as large as the biggest aluminum ones, and the steel Roamer seem to be most common in the mid-30 foot range.

I had to go into my library to dig out Conrad’s Essential Guide to Chris Craft and I learn something every time I open it. Anyway I didn’t know that CC offered the old ‘ Riviera ‘ and a few others in either steel or Alum. This would be around 1965-67 but they were dabbling in alum on smaller ‘ Regals ‘ and ‘ Rivieras ‘ as far back as 1962. The vessel pictured is a fairly rare ( 10 +- built ) 55’ ‘ Flush Deck ‘ motor yacht offered in 1972-74 only with a pair of Detroit 8V71’s . Aluminum hull but those salon fore and aft arrowhead windows and hardtop are the giveaway. If the bottom is sound could be a nice yacht/livaboard for somebody. In my experience most of these boats stayed in Florida and had few hours on the engines as they were dock queens.

Rick

Attachments

• 1A593130-96C5-4230-97A8-FCB224C47AD8.jpg
    1A593130-96C5-4230-97A8-FCB224C47AD8.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 49

I can guarantee you that in all the years our vessel has been in existence she has never seen wax.

She is hosed with salt water on occasion
Timber loves salt and salt loves timber

Nothing for us in the previous 6 years.
Use the boat

All what systems?
No more systems than a 40 fter
Arguably less.

I had to go into my library to dig out Conrad’s Essential Guide to Chris Craft and I learn something every time I open it. Anyway I didn’t know that CC offered the old ‘ Riviera ‘ and a few others in either steel or Alum. This would be around 1965-67 but they were dabbling in alum on smaller ‘ Regals ‘ and ‘ Rivieras ‘ as far back as 1962. The vessel pictured is a fairly rare ( 10 +- built ) 55’ ‘ Flush Deck ‘ motor yacht offered in 1972-74 only with a pair of Detroit 8V71’s . Aluminum hull but those salon fore and aft arrowhead windows and hardtop are the giveaway. If the bottom is sound could be a nice yacht/livaboard for somebody. In my experience most of these boats stayed in Florida and had few hours on the engines as they were dock queens.

Rick

Great Book! Any of Chris' 55' flush deck model have flying bridge... that you know of?

That's a nice 65 footer. Me likey.

How is it that they still wind up with the laundry in the engine room? I don't get that. Think I'd rather lose the crew quarters up in the nose and turn that into a utility storage space.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 10.27.30 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 10.27.30 AM.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 30
Great Book! Any of Chris' 55' flush deck model have flying bridge... that you know of?

Art I only looked into the Roamers all alum and bigger than 50’ but also rare. When I get a chance I’ll look further. These were some very attractive motor yachts then and today

Rick

Attachments

• 4D8E1D95-8BAA-44FA-9FE2-B02C73C16AEF.jpg
    4D8E1D95-8BAA-44FA-9FE2-B02C73C16AEF.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 35
  • EB49E34C-91E8-4F6C-BDBA-EFB7A4F309A9.jpg
    EB49E34C-91E8-4F6C-BDBA-EFB7A4F309A9.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 2DB73455-5B01-45BE-85F1-63C1281794B9.jpg
    2DB73455-5B01-45BE-85F1-63C1281794B9.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 35
That's a nice 65 footer. Me likey.

How is it that they still wind up with the laundry in the engine room? I don't get that. Think I'd rather lose the crew quarters up in the nose and turn that into a utility storage space.

Well I suppose if you have crew you can just tell them to go into the engine room and do your laundry. :rofl:

Well I suppose if you have crew you can just tell them to go into the engine room and do your laundry. :rofl:

Three affordables are always available on my crew! Me, Myself and I!!

Vic Franck’s yard in the world of custom wooden hulls is one of the masters. I’ve surveyed only three vessels this yard built and attended one at the shops and away came with only some very minor recommendations. I walked away from the job with reverence for their workmanship and skills. Every now and then an honest surveyor is tasked to enter a boat builder’s shop where upon entering he immediately comprehends that his skills fall short of the quality and workmanship in front of him. This shop was such. Vic Franck and Bill Garden were a perfect match.

Rick

Why? POCTA built only DeFevers for many years.

This doesn't mean that they were the only DeFever builders. Just that they only built DeFevers.
Thanks. I was blissfully unaware of the name. And it suggested to me a Communist country origin other than China.
Don`t forget the $ pricing is AUD, so significantly lower numbers in USD. Or CAN for that matter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom