Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very cool boat, when cars had fins, men were men, and woman where women...chrome was thick. Check out the 56 Cadillac.

https://fiberglassics.com/forum/mai...project-the-realationship-cars-and-boats.html

A reply from From Fiberglassics...

Bill has the best examples of Boats that resembled cars that is for sure. How ever your comment about cars taking the shape of boats is kinda backwards when it came to the 50s and 60s. In that era the boats were modeled after the cars because Fins were in. Best marine historian I know is Andreas on this site. He is a wealth of knowledge. I sent you a email earlier so please do give me a call when you get time. I would make a trip to Bills personal museum to get some great history and pictures for your book.

Bob

In late-70's thru early-80's I drove a pink Caddy Coupe Deville! Very nice, with electric windows and seat. 331 cid V8 engine... oil bath air cleaner. Great highway beast!

In late-70's thru early-80's I drove a pink Caddy Coupe Deville! Very nice, with electric windows and seat. 331 cid V8 engine... oil bath air cleaner. Great highway beast!

Am surprised it came with such a small engine. My C’d’V had a 500ci engine and got fantastic fuel mileage. I think at one point I achieved about 8mpg! [emoji3]

Am surprised it came with such a small engine. My C’d’V had a 500ci engine and got fantastic fuel mileage. I think at one point I achieved about 8mpg! [emoji3]

That was my initail thought as well, why such a small engine in such a huge car? (Serious thread drift alert). In the 70's a friend droive a convertible caddy, not sure the year or model but it was a "boat" with a 500 something cu in motor. I remember one night a group of us all pooled our pocket change to buy some gas so we could continue cruising. It came to less than $1 but back then it was a couple gallons and a couple hours of driving. Back before cell phones and video games, our entertainment was going out and driving around to nowhere special. You didn't know where your friends were but somehow you'd find them. Different times!

I've owned 55, 61, 62, 63, 64, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 84 Caddies.

331 cid Cady engines stayed as such in the 50's +/-, 390 cid early 60's, 429 cid mid to late in 60's, 472 cid late 69's to early 70's, 500 cid mid 70's... therefter 400's, 350's and some real junk engines. There's my 2 cents on old Cady engines. Not necessarily correct on dates but close on cid sizes.

Guys, this is a boating forum.

Please forgive! I arrive home and become so excited when I find TF email on my laptop... that I immediately get all sort of quivery and forget what I'm even talking about!

Will say... I'd love to have a couple of hopped up 500 cid Cad engines in my Tolly. She'd fly from fuel dock to fuel dock - LOL :speed boat:

Honestly - Boats are Best!!

Please forgive! I arrive home and become so excited when I find TF email on my laptop... that I immediately get all sort of quivery and forget what I'm even talking about!

Will say... I'd love to have a couple of hopped up 500 cid Cad engines in my Tolly. She'd fly from fuel dock to fuel dock - LOL :speed boat:

Honestly - Boats are Best!!

Please refer to post 12471…

Will say... I'd love to have a couple of hopped up 500 cid Cad engines in my Tolly. She'd fly from fuel dock to fuel dock - LOL :speed boat

Good luck finding one though, I hear they became popular with the offroad/monster truck crowd, due to their high torque output and durability.

I had the 472 in my 67 and 70 CDV convertibles. I used to keep a 'fact sheet' flyer that I'd prop up on the dash. The funniest thing was coming back from a shop and seeing two kids reading it (having never seen such a road-going beast before) and one marvels to the other "It's got a SEVEN point SEVEN liter motor!" Knew it would pay off adding the stats in metric.

Lordy it was a thirsty beast though, 13mpg if I absolutely babied the throttle, around 9mpg otherwise.

Best part, the license plate read "ITS BIG".

Attachments

• ITSBIG.JPG
    ITSBIG.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 30
I know I'm gunna piss off Comodave, but I have to tell this story. My Coupe was possessed by the devil. The electrical system had its own mind and the engine would start itself up even without the key in the ignition. I remember when I sold it for $500 to some kid - the look of fright in his eyes when the motor turned over and started running on its own. He still bought it!

I remember when I sold it for $500 to some kid

Same, sometimes I wonder whatever happened to the beast. I'm sure some kid's wallet has some sob stories to tell.

Both of mine had been remarkably reliable. One didn't quite take well to a head-on crash into a tree, and the other (the kid's learning experience) was just a basket case of 'too many things need replacing' combined with "I'm tired of it sitting in the driveway".

This DD I like. I'd like to see a few pics of the ER just to make sure.

Volvo engine . . . no thanks:hide:

Normally I would agree but in this case, the rest of the boat checks all the boxes. My N46 had the same engine for my get-home.
I do wonder the material used in the house

That DD is a good design done wrong.
Wrong engine.
No stabilization.
Hopefully tankage recorded incorrectly. If not having a bigger holding tank than fresh water makes no sense.

Truly like the DD46. A little ship to cross oceans. The 41 makes sense if done correctly. This one could be a fine boat if you threw some money at her for fish, a watermaker, electronics etc. and ate the money the Volvo will cost you over time.

"Ugly Betty" on the Hudson.

Attachments

• 9854DFF2-1D25-4024-A455-2DEEFBD85ACB.jpg
    9854DFF2-1D25-4024-A455-2DEEFBD85ACB.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 41
I think she is very attractive. What is the large "staple" at the bow. Seen these on other boats. Is it a sightline thing?
I believe that it’s for mounting forward pointing floodlights so that they won’t blind you by reflecting off the foredeck as they would if they were mounted on top of the wheelhouse.

Attachments

• 4025A156-42A3-4E6E-84C0-9F2F9BB6E9F0.jpg
    4025A156-42A3-4E6E-84C0-9F2F9BB6E9F0.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 30
What does drinking beer have to do with a larger holding tank? I just P overboard.

If your fluid intake is not from your water tank, you may be excreting more than the water you are consuming! I think it's kind of funny, peeing overboard is frowned upon but if you are swimming it's fine, almost encouraged, especially for the masses at the beaches. Hypocricy anyone?.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom