Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was next in line beside us a few days ago waiting for fuel

Of interest is that she's plastic
And
Single stabiliser wing.

0_4.jpg

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/badenach-60/255111

That widow maker on the sole between the pilothouse and the galley. I'd end myself twice a day on that thing. There's just no way I'd survive it. Within a week, every surface of the inside of that pilothouse would be evenly covered with a thick spray of coffee and blood and eggs.

29_4.jpg

Last edited:
Carl (of this forum) in Anacortes has a sister of the "Ulysses" in his "Delfin." I've seen several Fishers out here but none with the big awkward pilothouse like the boat in the photo.

They all have the distinctive pilothouse, but the 30 doesn't wear it well. 37s are the "right" ones.

Anyone have any idea what make and model this one is? Seen in Varina, Va.

Attachments

• PXL_20201129_202021894.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201129_202021894.MP.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 53
Yes, I know it as jacht and the place where it is built, a jachtwerf.

And if you want to see the true definition of jacht, you can see it here.

https://www.elburgyachting.nl/sp/s5790nl.htm

Bring something to wipe the drool with.....

I am familiar with Pieter's work, as well as many others. Spent the first 25 years of my life wallowing in the yacht building paradise that is The Netherlands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art
Or New Zealand:

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/comm...avigation-stability/hinged-fins-anti-roll.asp

Bureaucratic/governmental butt coverage.

These seem to be cobbled together solutions on commercial fishing boats, much like paravanes, but don't have their long history. They are sort of like deployable/retractable batwings.

WOW - "Hinged Fin Anti Roll Device" does have its drawbacks. Much more than I at first conceived/realized before reading the link you placed in post above. :eek:

A couple of photos from St. Augustine. Cat is "Next Chapter" - Malcom Tennant maybe?

Nice "Trumpy" (?) style at the dock.

Attachments

• 20201204_150256.jpg
    20201204_150256.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20201204_181200.jpg
    20201204_181200.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 48
WOW - "Hinged Fin Anti Roll Device" does have its drawbacks. Much more than I at first conceived/realized before reading the link you placed in post above. :eek:

They are in the business of describing risks, so that if an accident occurs they can't be "blamed" for allowing such devices to be used by a federally regulated fishing fleet.

Paravanes have been used for a long time, but carry a risk as well. Besides the obvious risk of losing one while underway, regulatory bodies always point out that paravanes instil a sense of confidence, where people may take their boats into conditions beyond what they were designed for.

The fitting of paravanes to small fishing vessels to reduce roll motion is becoming increasingly popular. The main impetus for the investigation discussed in this paper relates to the problems of asymmetric roll motion, such as might pertain to a vessel subject to a constant heeling moment, or 'bias'. In particular the effect on the motion of a vessel of losing a paravane is the underlying theme. It was prompted by the release of a Canadian Transportation Safety Board report on the capsizing of the small fishing vessel the STRAITS OF PRIDE II, which partially implicated the loss of the weather side paravane in the capsize. The report states that at least one other capsize of a Canadian fishing boat had occurred in which the loss of a paravane was considered to be a contributing factor.

https://trid.trb.org/view/455638

Last edited:
regulatory bodies always point out that paravanes instil a sense of confidence, where people may take their boats into conditions beyond what they were designed for.

Exactly, same with enclosed wheel houses!

I am familiar with Pieter's work, as well as many others. Spent the first 25 years of my life wallowing in the yacht building paradise that is The Netherlands.

I currently own one of his designs (on the market) and agree with your assessment of the boat building sensibilities of that geography. So compelling, no thing like them, and the one in the link is certainly on my short list of ‘next’.

I currently own one of his designs (on the market) and agree with your assessment of the boat building sensibilities of that geography. So compelling, no thing like them, and the one in the link is certainly on my short list of ‘next’.

The most extreme form I ever saw of it was the parting present for the retiring 40 year head of the "ship building academy". (Yes, there was a time people went to school before they got to call themselves a shipwright) It was built, my guess late 50's, by the student body and it was amazing. Bullet proof from every angle. Steel. Not one electrical wire crossing another. Every door/hatch and port was waterproof and able to take a wave. Every brass tube polished. It ended up being owned by friends of my family. I wish I had pictures of it.

Back
Top Bottom