Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems to me that Boatshed could strike a balance, like I've seen on some other sites. You can see a few pix and high level specs and, if you want more, you need to register.

Greetings,
Mr. M. Fully agree. I get enough spam e-mails without registering with yet another source (Boatshed). Screw you Boatshed!

iu

Betty White, the most beautiful and funniest woman that has ever graced this harsh water covered rock we call Earth. Sorry, I fall in love all over again when I see her pic and have to comment.

I do hope boat shed is happy. When I see I have to register to read their ad, I dont.

I totally agree! It's absolutely insane how many people want you to "sign up for a free membership" for just about everything. . . . just to view some basic information. Then if you don't remember that particular user name and log in, if you ever want to sign on again, using the same e-mail, they often won't let you sign back in, saying you already have an account. I just don't sign up anymore. If I am missing out on "important offers" it doesn't make me loose any sleep at nights!:D Like automotive sites that won't allow you to see how much shipping costs are unless you sign up . . . that's okay, there are lots of other sites out there!

I do hope boat shed is happy. When I see I have to register to read their ad, I dont.

I'm in the same camp,I dont sign up either... Many of these sites sell lists to other sites as a secondary business. After all they are supposed to be trying to sell me a boat!
HOLLYWOOD

Greetings,
Mr. kw. Re: Your post #9570. I'm glad you're satisfied with your Boatshed experience. Whatever works for you. Unfortunately, I've been "bitten" one too many times. I get enough junk e-mail as it is. I don't need more. It's data mining, plain and simple.

You mention opting out which in two of the situations I've experienced proved almost impossible. It's as bad as those extended car warranty phone calls IMO.
"You have been selected for a valuable prize..." etc.

Sometimes, on a cold winter's night, spam is fun to read but, stopping the spam is difficult, if not impossible.

Sometimes, on a cold winter's night, spam is fun to read but, stopping the spam is difficult, if not impossible.

I really dislike spam on computer or phone. For computer I immediately and prodigiously place any spam that may arrive into "Junk". Then if that same spam tries again it simply goes directly into junk and I don't even see it.

I usually clear my junk folder each few weeks. Usually has several hundred junk mail in it. Seldom do I get junk in my in-box any more!

This one’s a little more practical especially for me, a Beebe design. Not the most beautiful lines I’ve ever encountered but great for a family of four intent on traveling somewhere, layout is anything but traditional for a vessel of this size and class but strikes me as comfy for living instead of entertaining.
https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/custom-beebe-passagemaker-3683500/

Found more info on this boat today, cruising the interwebs. She is or at least was lying at Queen City Yacht Club.

“Bob Chatfield was a retired airline pilot and personal friend of Beebe. Chatfield worked with Beebe and his design #96 which evolved into design #118. Chatfield contracted with a shipyard in the Philippines to build her. Construction began in 1978 and she was launched in 1982 as "Cassiopeia". She came over on her own bottom first through the South China Sea, along the coasts of Japan, Russia and across the Aleutians and through Alaska before ending up in Vancouver B.C. Length...50', LWL 47'6", L over all 57", Beam 16'5". Fuel capacity 2100 gallons in 4 fiberglass tanks provide 5500 mile range. Powered by a single Gardner 8LXB driving a Hundested 3 blade variable pitch prop. Hull construction Airex core fiberglass. Pilothouse is built out of aluminum.”

Attachments

• BEE29D0F-C8EC-45DF-9AE1-82569EC08B22.jpg
    BEE29D0F-C8EC-45DF-9AE1-82569EC08B22.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 52
Any idea what her draft is? I can't find it anywhere. . .

Found more info on this boat today, cruising the interwebs. She is or at least was lying at Queen City Yacht Club.

“Bob Chatfield was a retired airline pilot and personal friend of Beebe. Chatfield worked with Beebe and his design #96 which evolved into design #118. Chatfield contracted with a shipyard in the Philippines to build her. Construction began in 1978 and she was launched in 1982 as "Cassiopeia". She came over on her own bottom first through the South China Sea, along the coasts of Japan, Russia and across the Aleutians and through Alaska before ending up in Vancouver B.C. Length...50', LWL 47'6", L over all 57", Beam 16'5". Fuel capacity 2100 gallons in 4 fiberglass tanks provide 5500 mile range. Powered by a single Gardner 8LXB driving a Hundested 3 blade variable pitch prop. Hull construction Airex core fiberglass. Pilothouse is built out of aluminum.”

Any idea what her draft is? I can't find it anywhere. . .

Owner says 5.5 ft at typical loading. Original design from Beebe was for 5’ but it was built with larger tanks than originally planned and I would guess a single Gardner might weigh more than twin small Lehmans.

I’m looking hard at her. Some very interesting systems that seem to make sense but are atypical. A wing engine with a chain drive to the main shaft instead of using its own, and a variable pitch prop. AC generator is a hydraulic unit run from PTOs on both the main engine for cruising and the wing engine when not underway.

Last edited:
Haul out, survey on hull and mechanical came out thumbs up. A 1952 vessel will be in our care now?
1B1CC5A5-EC53-4006-B4D5-73C21223456B.jpg

Last edited:
Owner says 5.5 ft at typical loading. Original design from Beebe was for 5’ but it was built with larger tanks than originally planned and I would guess a single Gardner might weigh more than twin small Lehmans.

I’m looking hard at her. Some very interesting systems that seem to make sense but are atypical. A wing engine with a chain drive to the main shaft instead of using its own, and a variable pitch prop. AC generator is a hydraulic unit run from PTOs on both the main engine for cruising and the wing engine when not underway.

She looks really intriguing. Would require some serious plan changes for us though. Plan was to dink around on East coast, Bahama's, etc for 5 or 10 years, then go through the Panama Canal, up the coast to the PNW as we are less able to kayak/dive etc. Don't want to dive again in cold water:eek:. Would like to see some out of water pics, as well. And some more pics showing better idea of interior layout. Detail pics are good, but nice to see ones from farther out as well. Also pics of rear deck and swim platform. Thanks for the info on draft though! A tad deep for Bahamas, but the more the better in PNW.

Katherine Jane. Amazing boat and you Pacific NW boys are lucky that you can own traditional planked wood boats. Here in Florida that is a downhill battle

Katherine Jane. Amazing boat and you Pacific NW boys are lucky that you can own traditional planked wood boats. Here in Florida that is a downhill battle

Exactly. I swoon over those refreshing PNW styles of vessels vs. the monotonous carved bars of soap found in FL waters & marinas. My boat may be slow and ugly but at least you can tell it from the next one.

This was on the Port Townsend Shipwrights Co-op front page, don't know anything about her. Pretty lines.

Attachments

• Capture88.JPG
    Capture88.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 89
Exactly. I swoon over those refreshing PNW styles of vessels vs. the monotonous carved bars of soap found in FL waters & marinas. My boat may be slow and ugly but at least you can tell it from the next one.

I agree. At least the hull could be something other than boring white.

Some very interesting systems that seem to make sense but are atypical. A wing engine with a chain drive to the main shaft instead of using its own, and a variable pitch prop. AC generator is a hydraulic unit run from PTOs on both the main engine for cruising and the wing engine when not underway.

These are an excellent solution ,for an offshore voyager , hardly needed for an inshore cookie.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom