Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a trawler, but it has a pilothouse and is interesting. Okay for the thread?

2009 31' motorsailor. Beta 38hp, keel cooled. Craigslist Seattle.

31 ft. Custom Pilothouse Cutter - $270,000 (Port Townsend)

Silverado, a 31 ft. Custom Aluminum Motorsailer with Pilothouse is one man's dream come true. She took the better part of 8 years to complete and 20,000 hours; however, the finished product is a vessel unparalleled in her class. She is powered by a Beta 38 with two stainless steel Porsche mufflers, includes a fuel polishing system and is keel cooled. In addition, she has Raymarine electronics, AIS touchscreen, Generator, Inverter, Watermaker, Cabin heat, Propane Stove, memory foam custom mattress, Airhead composting toilet and much more. The charming beadboard interior accented with Sonoran Mesquite is a wonderful contrast to the rugged Aluminum exterior. Special features on deck include custom canvas enclosure, 2 Harken Roller Furlers, Mack Sails, 4 Anchors with 270 ft. chain, Lighthouse Windlass and 3 blade Autostream variable pitch prop. This TURNKEY package is complete with 2016 Dinghy and Torqueto motor. Please call to arrange viewing at SEA Marine, Port Townsend.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/d/nordland-31-ft-custom-pilothouse-cutter/7179294876.html

Attachments

• stbd beam.jpg
    stbd beam.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 81
  • cabintop aft.jpg
    cabintop aft.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Helm.jpg
    Helm.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 85
  • galley forward.jpg
    galley forward.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 80

Silverado, a 31 ft. Custom Aluminum Motorsailer with Pilothouse is one man's dream come true. She took the better part of 8 years to complete and 20,000 hours; however, the finished product is a vessel unparalleled in her class. She is powered by a Beta 38 with two stainless steel Porsche mufflers, includes a fuel polishing system and is keel cooled. In addition, she has Raymarine electronics, AIS touchscreen, Generator, Inverter, Watermaker, Cabin heat, Propane Stove, memory foam custom mattress, Airhead composting toilet and much more. The charming beadboard interior accented with Sonoran Mesquite is a wonderful contrast to the rugged Aluminum exterior. Special features on deck include custom canvas enclosure, 2 Harken Roller Furlers, Mack Sails, 4 Anchors with 270 ft. chain, Lighthouse Windlass and 3 blade Autostream variable pitch prop. This TURNKEY package is complete with 2016 Dinghy and Torqueto motor. Please call to arrange viewing at SEA Marine, Port Townsend.]

Not my cup of tea, but looks to be a well built boat. Wondering why no engine space pictures. Seems odd for something that new to be on Craigslist.

Ted

That canvas enclosure aft is doing it no favours.

Man I thought my boat was a little tight inside. That thing is super coffin like.

The BC coast is littered with "custom" (codeword for "ugly") aluminum sailboats like that. Every marina seems to have one or two oxidizing away that you may have to raft up to. They usually sell for a fraction of the building cost.

You can identify the owner by the ripped, bloodstained, right pant leg from the hose clamps on the charterholders in the pilothouse.

Last edited:

Silverado, a 31 ft. Custom Aluminum Motorsailer with Pilothouse is one man's dream come true. She took the better part of 8 years to complete and 20,000 hours; however, the finished product is a vessel unparalleled in her class. She is powered by a Beta 38 with two stainless steel Porsche mufflers, includes a fuel polishing system and is keel cooled. In addition, she has Raymarine electronics, AIS touchscreen, Generator, Inverter, Watermaker, Cabin heat, Propane Stove, memory foam custom mattress, Airhead composting toilet and much more. The charming beadboard interior accented with Sonoran Mesquite is a wonderful contrast to the rugged Aluminum exterior. Special features on deck include custom canvas enclosure, 2 Harken Roller Furlers, Mack Sails, 4 Anchors with 270 ft. chain, Lighthouse Windlass and 3 blade Autostream variable pitch prop. This TURNKEY package is complete with 2016 Dinghy and Torqueto motor. Please call to arrange viewing at SEA Marine, Port Townsend.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/d/nordland-31-ft-custom-pilothouse-cutter/7179294876.html

Bob Milliken - The boat's builder... must be a rather slightly built chap. My wife and I have height and width requirements that would preclude comfortable movements in its closed quarters. Though, it does look like a fine one-off boat build.

urinal mount is too high:D:hide::hide:

Agree on the enclosure. In fact the "out of proportion-ness" of it made me gloss over the ad as yet another "shack aboard" type of Home Depot remodeled boat. But for some reason I clicked and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it looked (minus cockpit enclosure). Not my cup of tea, but I thought some here might find it interesting.

I wondered if it might be one of those long labors of love that never really got used, but I noticed the engine has nearly 4,000 hours on it.

God bless Bob's many years [comprising thousands of hours] boat building efforts... however... $270,000 is a lot of "cake" for that one-off. Was it self-designed; or, was it built following an experienced NA's plans?? IMO, that is an important item... regarding seakeeping abilities.

Looks like an "Ice Box" door... not a fridge??? Interesting prop. As I recall; lots of rigging and complicated sail lines. Don't recall furled, covered sail fabric.

Good luck to Bob for sale completion.

:eek::smitten:

If my plans hadn't changed. That hull shape is very similar to a Dutch Luxemotor. They are used to run ag products across the English channel in all types of weather.

Hmmm nope. We knew them as "binnevaart schepen" which translates to "inside water travel ships". You CAN cross the Channel in one, but only on a very nice day. You haven't seen the Channel when it's angry. These are NOT blue water boats. In fact the design goes back a long way as an inland freighter. They haven't been used for that in a loooong time. Modern inland cargo vessels have been designed by engineers who were trained in the modern era......This is either an 80 or more year old vessel most likely shortened, and converted to recreational including but not imited to new deck house and finished interior, or it is a purpose built recreational retro vessel possibly of the Luxemotor brand. $$$$$ Hard to tell from the pic.

Last edited:
9c0a5266ee12776d69f82dbe063f3b73.jpg

I would love to find out more about this boat! Here's what I've been able to glean from google:

It's a 1953 71ft Feadship. Steel Hull, twin Detroit 6-110's USCG Vessel # 267255

It was bought new by the Sheaffer Pen co. in 1953 and named the "Wasp II" (W. A. Sheaffer Pen Co.).

I wonder if it's still around?

Cheers! mike

Last edited:
9c0a5266ee12776d69f82dbe063f3b73.jpg

I would love to find out more about this boat! Here's what I've been able to glean from google:

It's a 1953 71ft Feadship. Steel Hull, twin Detroit 6-110's USCG Vessel # 267255

It was bought new by the Sheaffer Pen co. in 1953 and named the "Wasp II" (W. A. Sheaffer Pen Co.).

Cheers! mike

From the Feadship website.........:thumb:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 55

I'd bet she's still sailing. It's amazing how boats 50-100 years old are still cruising, having lived their lives in such harsh environments.

My 1956 Burger was built to a similar standard to the Feadship above. 65'x16'x5'. Steel hull, teak decks bolted directly to the framing. Wood deckhouse with canvas/paint for watertightness. Twin 6-71s. PO made crossings back and forth across the Pacific. Still operating in the charter trade today.

Here's my girl when I kept her in Newport Harbor :smitten:

Attachments

• HoG Newport Harbor.jpg
    HoG Newport Harbor.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: Art
Here's one I snapped not too long ago. I don't know anything about the boat, but she was moored up at the next marina down the river from me, and she's an absolute stunner.

Francis Marion
Sutton Island, Maine

Attachments

• IMG_3794.jpg
    IMG_3794.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3795.jpg
    IMG_3795.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 61
Here's one I snapped not too long ago. I don't know anything about the boat, but she was moored up at the next marina down the river from me, and she's an absolute stunner.

Francis Marion
Sutton Island, Maine

She's a gorgeous boat. I grabbed a not nearly as good cell phone photo of her in Oswego Harbor last August.

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_184939.jpg
    IMG_20190804_184939.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 55
It wouldn't have one and I doubt there was space to get the camera in position to take a pic inside the small box the engine is in.

:iagree:Correct observation to my thinking! Over time the thought of acquiring one of these for the accommodations in a boat that would fit my stall and offer "Couples" cruising were the two large gas engines replaced with a couple of small three or four cyl. diesels. Even then the engine space allowance would be tight so the thought dissipates quickly.:banghead:
Would like if an owner would rebutt on engine access.:dance:

Boat apparently needs a little bit of motor work, however.

From the add, "Dual 454's needs starter new exhaust on one motor other needs new distributor and heat exchanger." :ermm:

I saw that. From the first picture, however, I suspect they'll need a little more than that.

Amazing how that person had the guts to post that ad. Basically, it says "I've got a very expensive problem and I'd like someone to come take it off my hands for nothing."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom