Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mahal,
Probably a custom build and not a brand at all.
Also looks very specifically designed as a charter boat.
Nice looking though.

Simi asked,

I have seen images of the hull's preparation immediately before glassing: absolutely superb bare-wood condition, including replacing a plank and a full re-caulking job, but with epoxy putty. The current owner spent $40,000 on it, six months or so ago. He simply wanted to reduce maintenance. The great many photos show a perfect hull.

Liv (the Admiral) and I spent a couple of hours on her this afternoon; she is better than the images suggest. Best internal layout we have seen; far and away the best engine room, best accommodation, huge battery capacity, and plenty of room in the engine room to augment if necessary. The wiring is textbook. Three watertight compartments, and a survey-standard engine-driven emergency bilge pump to complement the electric ones.

We go out to sea on her tomorrow. We will report back. Overall, the best boat I have ever personally been on, so far. And am all clear on the 'honeymoon phase', too. We are trying to find faults, but have been unsuccessful, so far.
Advert says "SOLD in 4 days!". Congratulations due?

@BruceK: yes, sold. We bought her...

Where is the best place/thread to start a discussion of and show and tell about this boat? I want to show the massive amount of work that was done on the hard, over seven months, before her beautiful hull was glassed. I know that, usually, glassing a hull is a kludge and sometimes done to hide problems, but this does not seem to have been the case this time. I was in error above; 10 planks or parts of planks were replaced, not one.

I had a composite boat awhile back.

Sumner Craft.
Build in Amitivile NY. 1961
Was a cedar strip planked boat fiberglassed inside and out.
Hull started out inverted and planked over formers. Then righted and the forms removed. Then fiberglassed inside.
There seemed to be no issues w the hull but I was still a bit nervous. In the end when we moved to Alaska I sold the Sumercraft.
Was powered by a 120hp Sabre engine and was capable of 20 knots. She was 29’.

Attachments

• 7833E503-1F71-4143-B15E-6DC7AEED4EA5.jpg
    7833E503-1F71-4143-B15E-6DC7AEED4EA5.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 74
I had a composite boat awhile back.

Sumner Craft.
Build in Amitivile NY. 1961
Was a cedar strip planked boat fiberglassed inside and out.
Hull started out inverted and planked over formers. Then righted and the forms removed. Then fiberglassed inside.
There seemed to be no issues w the hull but I was still a bit nervous. In the end when we moved to Alaska I sold the Sumercraft.
Was powered by a 120hp Sabre engine and was capable of 20 knots. She was 29’.

Thanks for showing your previous baby. I recall Sumnercraft well. Hadn't seen one in many decades. Nice boats!

Sumnercraft link: https://www.google.com/search?q=Sum...KHdMEAR8Q9QEwAXoECAkQBg#imgrc=QxAcVnJZjJyggM:

My wife and I visited a boat show last year in Florida with the intention of browsing and getting some exercise. No intention of buying anything until we came upon this. We figured it would be fun and it is. Besides, it will make a good fair weather dingy.

Craig Cat catamaran. 30HP Evinrude, 30MPH draws 11 inches.

enhance

rKePIfhCSA2K8ZthkhGHfg

St John's River Florida.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. M. Fun? Hah! That's an understatement if I ever heard one. 30HP? Wowie! Wear your bathing costume. You'll be wetting yourself, for sure!

200.webp

Interesting boat. Yes it is likely scrap and needs a crew to operate.

I wonder what year it was put into service.

It may have been fast in its day. With the $300k turbine blown, its hydrofoil days are done.

I wouldn't have that boat even if they paid me. They let it go down hill. No doubt takes more than 2 people to run it.

17ft draft... that's reasonable!

But I suppose if you ripped the foils off it might make a relatively fun cruiser.

Oops, I forgot to put a smile at the end of my sentence :). Don't want anyone to think I'm an idiot... that boat is literally a big pile of crap. My advice to an enterprising local would be to take it for free and scrap all that wonderful aluminum. Probably make a few grand out of it.

Oh and the only thing worse than the boat is the broker's website, which requires registering in order to view any photos..

@BruceK: yes, sold. We bought her...

Where is the best place/thread to start a discussion of and show and tell about this boat? I want to show the massive amount of work that was done on the hard, over seven months, before her beautiful hull was glassed.....
Not sure, but General Discussion could be the default. Welcome Mat makes sense too, usually used by new joiners but we could welcome a new boat too. Don`t think it matters too much. "Other Makes" in the Builders Section?

Oops, I forgot to put a smile at the end of my sentence :). Don't want anyone to think I'm an idiot... that boat is literally a big pile of crap. My advice to an enterprising local would be to take it for free and scrap all that wonderful aluminum. Probably make a few grand out of it.

Oh and the only thing worse than the boat is the broker's website, which requires registering in order to view any photos..

May want to check for lead and asbestos first.... Once the Man finds out you're scrapping hazmat things can get very sticky and thus expensive.

It's amazing to look back at all the hype that went into the videos of the hydrofoil gunboats and how poorly they turned out as viable warships. I was in the Bureau of Naval Personnel in Washington DC when the skipper of one of them ran her aground while trying to take a shortcut from Yorktown to Norfolk. Displacement warships went all the way out through the two cuts in the bridge tunnel getting to and from the ammo piers at Yorktown, but this guy apparently tried to use the smaller vessel channel hugging the Hampton Roads peninsula and maybe got confused ending up running her aground while foil-borne. Our shop had the new CO's orders cut and the ex-CO.s orders to temporary staff duty an hour.

We've a tow behind 14'8" 4 seater with 50 hp johnson. Sun protected and very dry in any weather and most waves. 39 knots on GPS at slack tide with one aboard [me]. Linda and I cruise at 25 knots... getting great mileage! Our little toy's hull draws about 8". I imagine skeg on o/b draws an additional 12" +/-

Attachments

• DSCN1954.jpg
    DSCN1954.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN1955.jpg
    DSCN1955.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN1959.jpg
    DSCN1959.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN1961.jpg
    DSCN1961.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 65
It appears my last boat Boomarang is in search of a new curator. She was mine from 2011 - 2017. Prior to that she was owned by one of the TF founders, Doug Dupuis.

She's a Fales Caribe 30 which is essentially a Willard Vega 30 clone. Salty, seaworthy, economical and most of all reliable. Someone is in for a real treat.:)

https://www.lukebrownyachts.com/listings/1973-fales-30-caribe-boomarang/2767779_2

2767779_200856a0.jpg

Two points:
I rode on a hydrofoil on Lake Como and was very impressed. Fast and smooth but also quite awkward when around docks and ports. It had a sort of cage welded alongside to protect the protruding foils and their supports from contacting the sea wall.

Second; while I was initially horrified by the swoopie new style boats with curved blackout windows on the upper decks and windows in the hull, they no longer look so odd to me. There are so many here in the Bahamas and in South Florida that you get used to them. I also had a chance to go aboard one and was really impressed with how light and bright the windowed below deck cabins were. The hull windows are truly a case of new technology allowing form to follow function. I also rather like the vertical upper deck windows: not every boat has to look like a giant express cruiser. I do agree that they work better in lengths over 100’ and really come into their own above 150’.

What a great little ship. She looks like she's been loved.

How did Fales get away with stealing all their designs from Willard? I read that they paid to license a single design for limited production, but why didn’t Willard enforce their intellectual property rights for the rest of the Fales fleet? Surely they could afford it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom