Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A go-anywhere boat…as long as the water is more than 12' deep. Quite the little ship.

Those North Sea rescue boats come up for sale all over Scandinavia but they are always expensive... and that's before any conversion works!

BTW, I really dislike those Clear-Views. Is there anyone here who has one and actually likes it??? Even Houston Pilots recommends NOT installing them in pilothouses (in favor of pantograph or linear wipers).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 10.47.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 10.47.48 AM.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 66
I didn't see that in the first link. :thumb:

I'd like more information but I dont want to excite the seller. One of those, "fill out the form" thingies. I get the feeling once they have your email address, they will show case every boat that comes along.

What's the asking price. How many staterooms and heads. Recommended crew size....FW tank size, fuel tanks and size. Number and size of the A/Cs and heating furnace.
Need a lot more pictures and information before we can criticize this boat.
Does the piano come with the boat?
I do like the boat. I'd look really handsome on that boat.

Last edited:
I'd like more information but I dont want to excite the seller. One of those, "fill out the form" thingies. I get the feeling once they have your email address, they will show case every boat that comes along.

What's the asking price. How many staterooms and heads. Recommended crew size....FW tank size, fuel tanks and size. Number and size of the A/Cs and heating furnace.

Via extrepulation, I guess:

You must mean...Only on that boat??? :facepalm: :rofl:

And it came with 2 beat-up scuba tanks and a very nice card compass.

Buyer can probably dismantle and scrap it all for a couple thousand bucks.... one man's trash is another man's treasure!

It might be relisted in a week or so. Some of them take a while to go away.

That compass caught my eye too.

Last edited:
Well carp! If I knew I could get that boat for that little, I would have found a way to get it up here. Then stripped her down and rebuild her in a more beautiful form.

If you had bought the boat for $510, I would have suggested you dont tell anyone. I dont even see $99.

There is a little bit more information in this listing. I think it's a pretty neat boat, as is has a very 'classic' look! :thumb:

Jim

Pretty tight for actual cruiser/ live aboard

Yeah for a pretty big boat (57x15’) that saloon area did look tight. Guess it’s the wide walk around decks on both sides that took up the room.

Yeah for a pretty big boat (57x15’) that saloon area did look tight. Guess it’s the wide walk around decks on both sides that took up the room.

You want tight? 34/36 ft, single stateroom, single head, 4 adults, 2 months.... YA HA!!

Good thing I was tied to the dock. No way to carry enough fresh food for 4 adults.
I went the grocery store 3 times a week. LOL

The only consumable I did not have to refresh was coffee and canned milk for the coffee.

One of my many responsibilities was preparing breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lucky me, cleaning up was not my responsibility.

Last edited:
I like it.

The wide covered walk around decks along with the outside steering station that isn't a flybridge, all mean less weight above the waterline.

I'd take out the stand alone bench seat at the saloon table and have a collapsable chair or two handy for extra guests, which would make the saloon seem less tight.

My preference seems to be towards boats with a design philosophy leaning more towards safe/efficient travel to far off places rather than the luxury needs of the owners.

That aft steering station seems... odd. It'd be more like piloting a long canal boat than a flybridge. But I suppose that was part of the design, given the description mentioning canals in France.

Some boats have the outside steering station on top of the pilothouse roof, but you stand/sit on the saloon roof...something I really like and have been pondering as a future project on our boat. Gets you outside without the weight penalty of a flybridge.

Some boats have the outside steering station on top of the pilothouse roof, but you stand/sit on the saloon roof...something I really like and have been pondering as a future project on our boat. Gets you outside without the weight penalty of a flybridge.

Plus it’s a great place to pilot when docking. Also, the motion in a heavy sea is less close to the stern of the boat. And finally, the outside steering area is close to the galley so easy to get a drink or snack.

I like the location of the outside steering obviously!

With modern 'fly by wire' control systems it's possible to put control stations just about anywhere. Though I can't imagine they're very cost-effective to retrofit onto older boats. Not unless there's a major refit going on.

With modern 'fly by wire' control systems it's possible to put control stations just about anywhere. Though I can't imagine they're very cost-effective to retrofit onto older boats. Not unless there's a major refit going on.

A guy can dream...

We manoeuvre very close to rocks and/or shallow water for photographing wildlife, so I miss many shots being stuck in the pilothouse. It would be worth the effort (but not the cost of a fly by wire system) to figure it out!

And how reliable are fly-by-wire systems and their associated electronic engines?

I like redundancy/safety of two well outfitted, stationary control stations. One on FB and one in salon. I also like well lubed cables and mechanical mechanisms. These units are pretty easy to keep on top of and maintain in good condition... for very long periods of time. And, if a portion goes suddenly bad it is usually capable of quick modification in order to get your boat to safety. Cost for total repair is often quite affordable.

"Fly by wire" stuff can create a bad seen when suddenly going caput. I've heard too many stories. Repair cost can be quite steep.

In reality - I'm old-school... and, in this case, happy to be so!! :dance:

And how reliable are fly-by-wire systems and their associated electronic engines?

As reliable as anything else. I mean, honestly, everything sucks in one way or another.

Sure, cables won't suffer any electronic glitches, but chips don't fray or corrode. Is one better than the other? Well, electronic controls bring along a lot of other features that help make piloting the boat easier. This, of course, runs afoul the grumpy old man syndrome of "we knew how to do it the hard way".

Yeah, whatever. I'll pick throttles with selectable power curves over crankly old cables any day. Nice to have fine control during some situations, but sync'd rpms or faster controls in others. And having trailed a friend's Palm Beach 50 a few weeks ago, I'd trade out for the nearly no wake, flat profile he was cutting while clipping along at +25kts with pod drives. Using half as much fuel as my straight shafts.

For some having electronic controls is absolutely worth it. For others being able to service a cranky old set of cables and pulleys in the middle of nowhere, for nothing, has it's merits. Different strokes...

As reliable as anything else. I mean, honestly, everything sucks in one way or another.

Sure, cables won't suffer any electronic glitches, but chips don't fray or corrode. Is one better than the other? Well, electronic controls bring along a lot of other features that help make piloting the boat easier. This, of course, runs afoul the grumpy old man syndrome of "we knew how to do it the hard way".

Yeah, whatever. I'll pick throttles with selectable power curves over crankly old cables any day. Nice to have fine control during some situations, but sync'd rpms or faster controls in others. And having trailed a friend's Palm Beach 50 a few weeks ago, I'd trade out for the nearly no wake, flat profile he was cutting while clipping along at +25kts with pod drives. Using half as much fuel as my straight shafts.

For some having electronic controls is absolutely worth it. For others being able to service a cranky old set of cables and pulleys in the middle of nowhere, for nothing, has it's merits. Different strokes...

Woooo Tilly! - "... +25kts with pod drives. Using half as much fuel as my straight shafts."

You saying that pod drives use 1/2 as much fuel as straight shafts??? I find that hard to believe. Maybe the engine difference and different hull configurations saved on fuel. However... if the pods and straight shaft units were propelling exact same hull design, powered by exact same propulsion units... I'd place my money on a basic match in fuel usage... maybe even giving an edge to straight shafts!

Wadda ya think!

Where you live also factors in.

We have no tow services and no radio in some mountainous inlets. I'd like to think I can fix stuff, or at least give it a good shot, before hitting the 'HELP' button on the Spot Messenger. (We have a 9.9hp kicker on the swim step, so [in theory] wouldn't be totally screwed).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom