Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boatpoker!? She's right in your back yard!

Boatpoker is a surveyor but I suspect you could hire him to do an initial walk thru survey for not much more than it would cost you to drive up and back with lodging. Besides the welds, main issues with metal boats in fresh water is electrical leaking issues.

Boatpoker is a surveyor but I suspect you could hire him to do an initial walk thru survey for not much more than it would cost you to drive up and back with lodging. Besides the welds, main issues with metal boats in fresh water is electrical leaking issues.

I think I'll do the initial walk through myself. If the time comes to hire a surveyor, he'll be the first one I call.

Yet another cheap eBay project boat:

1979 Lien Hwa $4K with four days to go, Solvang, CA. Other pics look good but could be hiding much. No deck or ER pics. No mention of water leaks and damage.

s-l1600.png

Last edited:
....I've never heard of MetalCraft, but she looks to be built like an iron lavatory. That spray rail is almost more of the sort of hard chine you get on a planing hull. I wonder how slappy that thing gets at anchor. Good thing the master cabin is aft. .
Dave, the likelihood of wave slap with that chine design occurred to me right away too. But as you say, the Master is aft.

Yet another cheap eBay project boat:

1979 Lien Hwa $4K with four days to go, Solvang, CA. Other pics look good but could be hiding much. No deck or ER pics. No mention of water leaks and damage.

s-l1600.png

Yer bidding on this, aren't ya? :rofl:

Looking at the Hyd steering I think a link like a heavy rod that paralleled the cylinder action would reduce any load on the welded structure.

Greetings,
Good grief! What a name for a vessel E-Coli. THAT'S an omen right there! (Post #7176)

200w.webp

Ha! Good catch. We all know where E-Coli comes from.

But, Uh Oh. You may have made a cultural PC violation. "Ehkoli is a Chilcotin word for "Whale".

That boat has a very REAL history.

Ship details

The engine could go in a museum

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently the form of propulsion is "screw" as opposed to a paddle wheel, junk sail or 50 slaves on oars.

That's a big 300hp engine. Probably push a Grand Banks 42 nicely around the world... or under the ocean :)

I assume that huge level on Ehkoli is for reversing. She's got to be a monster to run. Still, I get a little dreamy about spending the rest of my days trying to keep her floating or running or both.

Not going to happen.

Maybe I could get Leo to come over for a week from Tally Ho and just give her a jolly good once over.

Midnight Lace Rumrunner

But for all the brightwork, I could really like this 1984 Midnight Lace Rumrunner 44 and the price seems reasonable. The broker claims it was built by Cheoy Lee in Hong Kong. Fuel capacity of 200 gals seems a little light but I could live with it. No pics of the engine room and with two DD 8.2L V8s and an 11' beam, I can imagine no room at all to do maintenance. But she is pretty!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/19...r-express-3560013/?refSource=standard listing

Attachments

• Lace.jpg
    Lace.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 60
But for all the brightwork, I could really like this 1984 Midnight Lace Rumrunner 44 and the price seems reasonable. The broker claims it was built by Cheoy Lee in Hong Kong. Fuel capacity of 200 gals seems a little light but I could live with it. No pics of the engine room and with two DD 8.2L V8s and an 11' beam, I can imagine no room at all to do maintenance. But she is pretty!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/19...r-express-3560013/?refSource=standard listing

OOOH! That's HAWT!
In another life I would buy it, fill the engine space with batteries, and make it a 6-knot hybrid-electric picnic-ish boat.

Pretty boat, but I learned my lesson on bright work when I owned a Nordhavn. No thanks.

They are sexy boats.. look even better underway at 15kts! The front cockpit is a interesting touch. I will never forget the afternoon one ran up on the beach at the Santa Barbara Yacht club while the guy and his girlfriend were busy taking a "nap" below!
HOLLYWOOD

Ha! Good catch. We all know where E-Coli comes from.

But, Uh Oh. You may have made a cultural PC violation. "Ehkoli is a Chilcotin word for "Whale".

That boat has a very REAL history.

Ship details

The engine could go in a museum

Despite the historical aspects, this boat has seen too many years of maintenance deferrals. If it came with the first 5 years of cost of recovery, say $1,000,000 to do the catch up on maintenance, it might then be worth $100,000.
As is, the poor guy who owns it now will die before he sells it, then the Gov will eat the cost of breaking it up and cleaning up after it.

Pretty boat, but I learned my lesson on bright work when I owned a Nordhavn. No thanks.

“Learned my lesson” ......
Sounds like you’re smarter than those that do brightwork. It’s a choice not a level of intellect. If you want to go boating in a UPS truck it’s your choice.

If you feel attacked .. don’t be. This comment is aimed mostly at a a few hundred others that have made essentially the same comment. And your boat is probably better looking than most despite it’s lack of brightwork.

I think you're right about the maintenance deficit. We can't say without looking, but even with charity and sweat equity it could absorb $100K, easy. Forget making it "nice". It is a long way to roll back that clock.

That other boat with the DD 8.2s. I have no experience with the 8.2 but have heard nothing but bad about them. I am guilty of second hand prejudice.

I think you're right about the maintenance deficit. We can't say without looking, but even with charity and sweat equity it could absorb $100K, easy. Forget making it "nice". It is a long way to roll back that clock.

That other boat with the DD 8.2s. I have no experience with the 8.2 but have heard nothing but bad about them. I am guilty of second hand prejudice.

I had the DD 8.2's....you don't want them, believe me!

Here's another eBay give away in Florida:

From the description it could have a bad battery terminal or a locked Lehman diesel engine.

1953 Novi Fishing Vessel

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 74

From the description it could have a bad battery terminal or a locked Lehman diesel engine.

1953 Novi Fishing Vessel

I'd blow that cabin right off and rebuild. Hull looks to be a fine candidate for a costal boat.

1953 Novi Fishing Vessel

Wait, what? - his tax return for the donation said it was valued at $85,000!��

“Learned my lesson” ......
Sounds like you’re smarter than those that do brightwork. It’s a choice not a level of intellect. If you want to go boating in a UPS truck it’s your choice.

If you feel attacked .. don’t be. This comment is aimed mostly at a a few hundred others that have made essentially the same comment. And your boat is probably better looking than most despite it’s lack of brightwork.
Not having brightwork doesn't mean you don't appreciate it. Most people have a limited amount of free time and have to make a choice between cosmetic maintenance and actually using the boat. Not all of us feel the primal need to sand and varnish or spend a thousand hours reinventing the anchor. :rolleyes:

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom