Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting points. Here's a comparison of the rails in three colors. First photo is as is white. 2nd is gray, third is an autumn orange closer to the color of the wood. I love the boat, but it is a cluttered mess.

And with the color change, the railing are disappearing.

What is Autumn orange? Will I find at a boating store? LOL

SS railings work for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 75
SS railings - everywhere! And... very little to no exterior wood!

Attachments

• Large TO Pict - 100_1412.jpg
    Large TO Pict - 100_1412.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 75
Here's the same boat de-flybridged and cleaned of clutter. I lifted the sagging canvas a bit and lightened the rails on the boat deck. Vessels with long lines like this one look better when those accents are kept clean. She could be a real beauty.

Attachments

• de-flybridged and cleaned.jpg
    de-flybridged and cleaned.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
My railings are very small dia being life lines. They are white but w their very small dia don’t show up terribly bad. May be better if they were dark green like a lot of the trim but green lifelines would draw much notice by being weird.

If you have white coated lifelines, consider (when the time comes) replacing them with dyneema line. Gray in color so less obtrusive, and not being coated SS, they won’t have hidden rust issues.

Interesting points. Here's a comparison of the rails in three colors. First photo is as is white. 2nd is gray, third is an autumn orange closer to the color of the wood. I love the boat, but it is a cluttered mess.

The boat would look 100% better without that fly-bridge and Bimini.

Of course, I still like the look of it as is. If I had unlimited funds, it would be a great boat to own. Otherwise, I’m happy to admire and critique it from a safe distance. ;-)

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 68
Really wonder if the sail does anything other than steadying. Also wonder if there is ballast. Kind of looks like a Great Harbour N37 with a mast. There must be something dreadfully wrong with a 2014 47' steel boat for $65K and power by a JD 4045 to boot. Might be worth a flyer for cheap lodging in Costa Rica.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2014/custom-47-townsend-custom-3556988/?refSource=standard listing

What tha hell? Yeah that seems too cheap. Not super fancy, but pretty damn cool IMO. She probably rolls pretty much just looking and WAG, so that steady sail is a big plus. However, it’s just a jib so it might not do all that much. My jib does help slow the roll if the waves are not too bad, but if big and directly on the beam the main needs to be unfurled as well, and I need at least 10-15 knots of wind.

Sure like that JD engine!

Last edited:
seems like its super cheap because of personal problems rather than boat problems.. Its an interesting boat for sure. I would want to know who designed it. It may be in the listing but I only skimmed it.

"personal problems" = got the woman pregnant and she hates boats?
Maybe you can sneak out under cover of darkness?

seems like its super cheap because of personal problems rather than boat problems.. Its an interesting boat for sure. I would want to know who designed it. It may be in the listing but I only skimmed it.

A lot of unanswered questions.
Fuel and water capacity?

Look at Art’s pic in post #13.
Railings don’t overpower or distract.
Good.

Reactions: Art
Personal problems makes me think the boat didn't live up to the owners expectations or he got done with the passage and said," This $h!t ain't fur me", and headed home on a cozy aeroplane.

Personal problems makes me think the boat didn't live up to the owners expectations or he got done with the passage and said," This $h!t ain't fur me", and headed home on a cozy aeroplane.

...and/or he got the crap scared out of himself in a storm...

Oh yea. "Everyone put on your PFD we are going for a free carnival ride.
We are having some fun now, eh?"

De-clutter this boat! Really, there is so much stuff on the decks that you can't see much of the boat. The name, "Borrowed Horse", is interesting in its own right. Plenty of pics but none of the engine room. And it is dog friendly!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/19...t-trawler-3554304/?refSource=standard listing

For bluewater cruising, a boat is likely outfitted on deck with a number of accessory items. I carried an extra dinghy & outboard, liferaft, 2 fullsize bikes, at least 2 if not 3 gas cans & heaven knows what else. Once met an interest catamaran from Canada, the Eh Team, in Mexico. They carried a motorcycle on deck.

VERY interesting boat, & even though it meets none of criteria (life is like that), she is such a proper nautical lady & resides in the next village, so I think we may have to pay her a respectful visit.

Declutter? Declutter? I must be crazy as a bed bug.
I have a 34 ft one stateroom/ one head boat and the 5th person just moved on board for a few days, at least.
I'm sure happy to have a sense of humor and a big bottle of wine.

"personal problems" = got the woman pregnant and she hates boats?
Maybe you can sneak out under cover of darkness?
Oh yea. "Everyone put on your PFD we are going for a free carnival ride.
We are having some fun now, eh?"
you guys are harsh...

Here's some tasty crow for you in the news article.

He's been up and down the inside passage five times. This is second boat he's built. And he did it all with one leg after stepping on a mine in Vietnam.

I don't think this guy scares that easy...

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/n...-northland-man-finishes-building-47-foot-boat

Last edited:
Good sleuthing.

Maybe he just reached the end of ‘The Dream’

I was rope soloing halfway up Klahanie Crack beside Shannon Falls in Squamish when the thought came to me, “I think I’ve about scratched this itch”. So I down climbed out of it and pretty much quit climbing then and there.

Last edited:
I was rope soloing halfway up Klahanie Crack beside Shannon Falls in Squamish when the thought came to me, “I think I’ve about scratched this itch”. So I down climbed out of it and pretty much quit climbing then and there.

Sometimes it a matter of relativity. I tried climbing a rock wall while on a cruise ship in 2012. I didn't get very high, but then I was the only great-mother of 4 (then) that even gave the wall a try that day. I used the same reasoning a few years later when on a visit to Machu Picchu. The tour bus stopped so we could hike around a lake high in the Andes, & not surprisingly I was the last one back to the bus. My trek had been enjoyable, & I know for a fact I was the only great-grandmother of 5 (now) who'd even started the hike. Good enough--heck no, much better.

you guys are harsh...

He's been up and down the inside passage five times. This is second boat he's built. And he did it all with one leg after stepping on a mine in Vietnam.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/n...-northland-man-finishes-building-47-foot-boat

Damn, that guy is impressive. He probably didn’t have a lot of time to post on forums while building his boat. Old school bad ass...Respect.

Holy ****. He’s a bad ass for sure.

Sad that he’s having to sell this boat IMO.

you guys are harsh...

I did not intend to be harsh. SMILE Just tease him a big.

If I remember correctly, he use 1 inch plate below the water line. With that kind of weight, I doubt if he is worried about much ballast nor putting a hole in the boat.
I do hope he had LOTS of time to enjoy this boat and he chooses the next owner carefully.
Retiring from boating will happen to all of us and then, we have to find something else to fill our time. Boaters are not the type of people who sit around and do nothing.
I wish him a long life, filled with more interesting times.

Attachments

• Lavalo.jpg
    Lavalo.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 63
No, this boat isn't out of the 1930s. It isn't even a woody. Well, at least if you can believe the listing broker. With a beam of 9' 2", she almost qualifies as a trailerable ....err transportable trawler. Sadly, she will require way too much varnishing unless you are a true glutton for punishment. Really nice looking boat though.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/andreyale-12-meter-3557345/?refSource=standard listing

Did I overlook the engine room photos? I saw a driveline, which I assume means that the engine is forward for balance... Likely to be noisy and lots of vibration underway. Also, 90 gallons of fuel? It is a fast running (3600rpm) yanmar engine so there will be more noise than a slower running diesel.

No, this boat isn't out of the 1930s. It isn't even a woody. Well, at least if you can believe the listing broker. With a beam of 9' 2", she almost qualifies as a trailerable ....err transportable trawler. Sadly, she will require way too much varnishing unless you are a true glutton for punishment. Really nice looking boat though.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/andreyale-12-meter-3557345/?refSource=standard listing

Wow... Beautiful Boat!

However, several design items/features that place certain use restrictions.

Would make great "commuter" craft for wealthy person desiring water transport across NY or SF bays.

Bet her thin self slips through the water like a knife. Would love to see her bottom on the hard... as well as her wake while underway at cruise and WOT! :speed boat:

Back
Top Bottom