Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sabbatical (adj.)

1640s, "of or suitable for the Sabbath," from Latin sabbaticus, from Greek sabbatikos "of the Sabbath" (see Sabbath). Noun meaning "a year's absence granted to researchers" (originally one year in seven, to university professors) is from 1934, short for sabbatical year, etc., first recorded 1886 (the thing itself is attested from 1880, at Harvard), related to sabbatical year (1590s) in Mosaic law, the seventh year, in which land was to remain untilled and debtors and slaves released.

Sharp dude - That Marx fellow!! :thumb:

What a way to get a free boat. Pay on it for 7 years and then, get your loan "forgiven".

Greetings,
Mr. A. Thread drift alert!!! Well, Mr. KL's query about the origins of the word sabbatical piqued my interest. Sounds a bit like sabotage.
As well, the Admiral is starting a sabbatical next June so somewhat apropos. The sabbatical NOT the sabotage.

200w.gif

Back to interesting boats...

Get two 40 feet boxes (or 52 high cube if you think you will need more space), bolt them together, add 3 floaters beneath and you will get the frame to let all your building imagination goes wild :)

L

Here is a sweet setup (Port Madison on Bainbridge Island):

Attachments

• sweetsetup-0497.jpg
    sweetsetup-0497.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 139
Here is a sweet setup (Port Madison on Bainbridge Island):

In Madeira Park, BC, some shorefront homes have cradles on train tracks which get winched into above high tide boathouses bigger than the house pictured. They must have a wee bit more disposable income than I.

Murray,
We spent some time there in late August.
Glad to find Maderia Park as before that I didn’t care for Pender Harbour.
Went to dinner w some Canadian friends in their dink .. super.
Not much swinging room at anchor though. My almost all line rode wasn’t the best there. The closest boat was a Nordhavn and it looked as if most everybody else was on chain too.

I have a 15 foot tri-hull (15' Boston Whaler clone) made of the Roplene material. I love it but mine isn't finished all smooth and fancy like the Triumph in your link. Mine was an unfinished hull from a builder that went bust not long after getting started. Kind of a rough industrial finish that I complimented with galvanized cleats and hardware when I finished her. Thick material, reported to be at least 1/2 inch thick minimum. I believe it. Smooth ride, reportedly due to flex similar to a wood hull. Doesn't have the loud slap from waves like GRP and aluminum. Did I say mine is an EXACT duplicate of an early 15' Boston Whaler. Obviously used one for a plug for the mold.
Got any photos to share with us? I'd like to see it.

Another steel boat

The interior doesn't look very fancy and almost amateurish but the hull and mechanicals seem very well thought out. Wasn't able to access the Oct 2010 edition of Passagemaker since I don't subscribe and I wanted to understand the pros and cons of having a hydraulic driven genny. Wouldn't that put a lot of load on the main power plant? Also, she lacks a fly bridge.:facepalm:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993/custom-perseverance-50-3204331/?refSource=enhanced listing

Attachments

• Steely.jpg
    Steely.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 94
The interior doesn't look very fancy and almost amateurish but the hull and mechanicals seem very well thought out. Wasn't able to access the Oct 2010 edition of Passagemaker since I don't subscribe and I wanted to understand the pros and cons of having a hydraulic driven genny. Wouldn't that put a lot of load on the main power plant? Also, she lacks a fly bridge.:facepalm:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993/custom-perseverance-50-3204331/?refSource=enhanced listing

Interesting bow, in that it almost looks like the aluminum riverboats we have around here...must loosen molars when pounding into a head sea.

All rope rode?

Another Dave Gerr design on the market...50' fibreglass boat with 2'4" draft and a 3/8" stainless steel bottom plate for beaching:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/19...0-trawler-3251089/?refSource=standard listing

I'm pretty sure this is fg over wood construction. Covey Island is known for their FG/wood builds. I don't think they build a fiberglass only hull. Kind of misleading by the broker if this is the case. There is nothing at all wrong with this construction and Covey Island has a great reputation.

Racy looking boat. Pushing heck of a bow wave. Not enough upward rake in the bow for rough water. Nice lake boat. I would not like to encounter big seas in that model.

If you visit BC and are worried about dragging your anchor in a viscous wind, be sure to give me a wave as I'll be the one in a lawn chair beside his boat on a drying flat safely waiting for a weather window :D :thumb:

Last edited:
If you visit BC and are worried about dragging your anchor in a viscous wind, be sure to give me a wave as I'll be the one in a lawn chair beside his boat on a drying flat safely waiting for a weather window :D :thumb:

:thumb:

That said...

I never look for too rough water; also, do my best to avoid it... but... I have been caught unexpectedly in water that was more rough than expected and that I felt was not good for the boat of the time, at that time.

My definition of "too rough water" = water conditions that could create catastrophe if pilot makes TOO BIG a handling mistake with the boat of that time or if the boat simply IS NOT designed to itself handle conditions that may suddenly come to hand!

I live in the premise of plan for the best but always be equipped to withstand the worst if required.

That sleek, racy looking boat is a pure pleasure to view. Still, I'd not like be aboard in "too rough" water!! :dance:

Greetings,
Mr. JB. Any idea on $$ for that bad boy?

From the website:

"The price of the 75-foot fully-loaded Arkup livable yacht, self-sustaining and with the capacity to self-elevate is $5 million. The vessel can be customized to the needs and taste of each client. Arkup livable yacht based price starts at just under $3 million for the technology-free base model, which does not include the electric propulsion, solar panels, batteries or hydraulic pilings."

http://arkup.com/faqs

Hmmmm......

Last edited:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993/custom-perseverance-50-3204331/?refSource=enhanced%20listing
Something about it makes me think of European TF member Longcours.62(apologies if I mispelt the name).

Last edited:
Too big engines, too large window, too high, too large, too,too and finally we bought her !?
But clearly we prefer our basic, simple Long-cours 62 but the new owner of her, unfortunately thinking exactly same and don't want sale her back to us :)

Attachments

• 100_2036 - Copie.jpg
    100_2036 - Copie.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 91

Oh, Art...judge it not in terms of aesthetic balance or ostentatious stylings, think of the places around the world it could carry you to whilst leaving spending money in your pocket!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom