Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, very nice "ship" looking boat, The yellow color Hull is surprisingly stylish on this boat from me. Huge space and certainly good seakeaping. Unfortunately, too much work to keep fresh, I understand your wife :hide::rofl:

i rememeber UK is very nice prise Cheoy lee 47' 1987 for sale about 126000$ Cheoy Lee Trawler 47, Motor Boat | Liverpool Boat Sales

And more info and pictures PDF link http://www.liverpoolboatsales.co.uk/pdfs/11000490/11000490.pdf

timthumb.php

Rare model, only three built this series and this is Hull 3. The boat was originally sold for the American Market before being shipped to the Mediterrean where she was berthed for a number of years.

NBs

That’s little brother to my boat. For the 52’ version they added the cockpit.

IMG_0243.jpg

Just a five minute walk around the dock from me in Ballard

Here is an interesting take, converted from power to power plus. What about portlights at the water line? any thoughts?

mitchif Boats For Sale

Attachments

• 4677768_20170111143154609_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4677768_20170111143154609_1_XLARGE.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 137
I would argue that the one you just posted could benefit by keeping its WLL and extending that ugly stern into a more beautiful fantail like style. The way it is has got too much sailboaty look to it. :)

Not in to sailboaty looks either. However most modern designs (sail and power both) have a WLL that more closly resembles the OAL. FD greatly favoes a long WLL. The one thing about the N46 and my Willard that I don’t like is the heavily raked stem.

Here is an interesting take, converted from power to power plus. What about portlights at the water line? any thoughts?

Yes, keep them closed or get a very high capacity bilge/de-watering pump or pumps.

All these canoe sterned boats would be an absolute pita to get aboard and resupply from a dinghy.

All these canoe sterned boats would be an absolute pita to get aboard and resupply from a dinghy.

A small swim platform is easily fitted to canoe sterned boats, but a full width platform requires more custom work to fit a round stern. No reason it can't be done, though.
Mine is rectangular (about 3 x 2 feet) but I'm considering building a wider curved one to enhance my girl's rounded backside. ;)

Not necessarily if you fabricate a side ladder with a small 2X2 ft folding platform just above water level. Not as convenient as a full transom swim step, but there are those who either have fan tails or don’t want a transom stern for reasons of seaworthiness, appearance or other factors.

Side boarding also has less motion than at the stern, although it lacks protection from the wind.

This brings up interesting debates about whether you design your boat for how it will be used 90% of the time or for the 10% factor. For me I would design to the 10% if those factors are life-threatening.

A small swim platform is easily fitted to canoe sterned boats, but a full width platform requires more custom work to fit a round stern. No reason it can't be done, though.
Mine is rectangular (about 3 x 2 feet) but I'm considering building a wider curved one to enhance my girl's rounded backside. ;)

Reminds me of Menorquin...:)

Reminds me of Menorquin...:)

Yes. They all have easy access swim platforms, but I don't think theirs enhances the shapely stern much.

Attachments

• 903330_20150820025939828_1_XLARGE.jpg
    903330_20150820025939828_1_XLARGE.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 175
A small swim platform is easily fitted to canoe sterned boats, but a full width platform requires more custom work to fit a round stern. No reason it can't be done, though...
The Resort 35 has a standard f/g platform, the inside edge follows the hull, otherwise it ends up quite conventional in appearance and usage. A Resort on my marina has one made of timber with ss framing attached back to the hull.

Attachments

• Penobscot.jpg
    Penobscot.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 141
Can't find that one any more but this 1974 model just showed up on YW. It could use some life lines or hand rails for the bow and its composite using C-Flex.

1974 Trawler 50 Fathom Penobscot Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I believe that boat has been on YW for years. Its a nice representation of a Penobscot trawler. Glass over wood,looks like a really good job of it. Repowered but unrealistically priced in my opinion. Its in My town somewhere.
Not a blue water boat but a solid coastal cruiser. Deeper draft than many want.

Last edited:
This comment was deleted.

Last edited:
I believe that boat has been on YW for years. Its a nice representation of a Penobscot trawler. Glass over wood,looks like a really good job of it. Repowered but unrealistically priced in my opinion. Its in My town somewhere.
Not a blue water boat but a solid coastal cruiser. Deeper draft than many want.

First impression was it might sell for half of the asking price. Allegedly, the owner is involved in marine electronics but the wiring in the pics is not very impressive.

Your town is only 25 miles or so away!

I love the lines of this boat. It's also glass over wood, but looks like a good job.

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/42-custom-cruising-trawler/212916

Nice, rugged looking boat. Cool video. For a 42'er, seems not a whole bunch of "leg stretchen" interior roominess. I'm not too impressed with 20 ltrs. / 5.28 gals hr. at 8 knot cruise... that's only 1.51 nmpg. Lots of open space on bridge-deck. Would rather have a pilots wheel at captain's chair. Lower helm area looks well laid out and comfortable. I wonder how easy it is to easily see out front windows and what sight lines exist for backing-up purposes?

Last edited:
I agree with your critique, Art. I do like a head with outside access, but it sure does cut out a whole lot of saloon space.

FG over wood seems to me it would be very expensive and heavy. When a wood boat goes south it’s time to make a new boat. The glassed wood hull has all the weight of the original wood boat plus the added FG. If the wood boat was structualy sound it wouldn’t need the FG. The wood hull will continue to go south so the added FG will need to be strong to hold the boat together. That requires a lot of FG. Weight. $.

FG over wood seems to me it would be very expensive and heavy. When a wood boat goes south it’s time to make a new boat. The glassed wood hull has all the weight of the original wood boat plus the added FG. If the wood boat was structualy sound it wouldn’t need the FG. The wood hull will continue to go south so the added FG will need to be strong to hold the boat together. That requires a lot of FG. Weight. $.

Is fiberglass ever installed over wood to reduce maintenance Prior to issues? I have read about CFlex...I was under the impression that it was not a repair but more of an improvement...

Is fiberglass ever installed over wood to reduce maintenance Prior to issues? I have read about CFlex...I was under the impression that it was not a repair but more of an improvement...

IMO

Cold lam FRP over wood is not best way for boat building or restoring. Wood should stay wood where it can be reached for repairs if rot occurs, fasteners need replacing, worms might-somehow gain access.

And, FRP should be built correctly to solidly stand on its own.

Increased weight conditions are important as well as non attainable wood repair in cold lam hulls. :ermm:

Yes. I have seen a few very impressive wooden boats with C-Flex sheathing. In the old days, wood hulls would be sheathed with copper from the waterline down to prevent teredo borer worms from eating up the wood. The fiberglass can accomplish the same thing.

I think you need more research on this one Eric. A good read is Alan Vaitses book "covering Wooden Boats with fiberglass" written in the early 80's by a boatyard owner. He pioneered wood boat covering with polyester fiberglass...He went against Owens Corning ,broke the rules and had many large and small yachts, fishboats , and workboats. His philosophy was that done right (mechanically fastened in the "green" stage, these FG coverings were as strong as the wood underneath. Way stronger than the epoxy folks treatments, dom
ne his way. As for adding weight, yes it did..but added usually more buoancy because it displaced water due to thickness. Ballast added in some cases. Interesting read that contradicts popular opinion . Whether you agree or disagree, read the book and see many examples of nice boats that have had there life extended for reasonable amounts of money. A Very good read. He is kind of like George Buehler, contrarian. RIP George.

Back
Top Bottom