Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the listing:
"Magnificent new design with brutal shapes"

I agree, the design is brutal-- to the eyes. They remind me of a toucan for some reason.

But it is definitely interesting!

Last edited:
Thought this little craft worth submitting for your enjoyment.

Al-KEtchikan

From the listing:
"Magnificent new design with brutal shapes"

I agree, the design is brutal-- to the eyes. They remind me of a toucan for some reason.

But it is definitely interesting!

The relative size of the dinghy I think is way off. Makes the boat look more like 60+ feet. Or is it just me?

W
Hmm, this is interesting. Electric full displacement steel pocket expedition trawler...

2017 Trondheim Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Not really electric, diesel-electric, a mature and widely-used technology. Note the fuel capacity: either high consumption or you're gonna be "tankering" a lot of weight..

Their claim that it's quieter is patently absurd. Any acoustic technology they are claiming to use on their two diesels can be fitted to anyone else's two diesels.

. ...oh yeah, almost forgot, it's nasty ugly and likely to maneuver like a billboard in any wind. 650K?! I'd be surprised if they can give it away.

Last edited:
Hmm, this is interesting. Electric full displacement steel pocket expedition trawler...

Wow - this is bizarre. What would be the fully-charged range on an electric trawler I have to wonder... How do they get the 2,500 miles calculations? Ahh... they have diesel generators to get the electricity...

Current Price:
US$ 650,000
World first electric powered quiet and efficient trawler,

Twin Electric Power, Designed for passages in remote areas
Electric powered quiet and efficient long range trawler
-Class A - Ocean
-Metal hull Ice class B
-Magnificent new design with brutal shapes
-Long range 2500 nautical miles
-Comfort on board 6 sleep places
-“Torqeedo” electric motors and batteries with 9 years warranty
-Powered with generators 2 times quiet from diesel engine powered boats

Trondheim Trawlers

"The 40-ft (12-m) vessel will feature two Torqeedo brand Deep Blue i 1,400-rpm electric motors, which will be powered by two battery packs. One charge of those batteries should reportedly be good for six hours of cruising.

Needless to say, though, fishing expeditions can last longer than six hours. For that reason, there will also be two Torqeedo diesel-powered generators on board. These will produce electricity both to run the motors, and to recharge the batteries.

As compared to non-electric boats of the same size and fuel capacity (3,500 l/925 US gal), such a combination of running under battery power and generator power should allow the trawler to have a 30 percent longer range – it can go up to 2,500 nautical miles (4,630 km). Additionally, due to their acoustic shielding, the generators are claimed to be 40 percent less noisy than a full-on diesel engine. They'll also take up less space, allowing more room for storage."

Full story here:

http://newatlas.com/trondheim-40-electric-trawler/47223/

49768e_530a98a5c1dc444a854856297aecd551~mv2_d_3000_2250_s_2.webp

Last edited:
Wow - this is bizarre. What would be the fully-charged range on an electric trawler I have to wonder... How do they get the 2,500 miles calculations?

As AlaskaProf pointed out, it's diesel electric. So 2 diesel generators charging batteries.

Thought this little craft worth submitting for your enjoyment.

Al-KEtchikan

All the police forces and Harbour Masters use them in the UK, so they must work in all conditions; my local police patrol on the Shannon river uses the Bothnia too and tracks straight as an arrow at displacement speeds . The guys told me it can stay up on the plane at 10-11kts! I think that's what makes it into such a fantastic rough water boat; when the the conditions get bad, slow down.

Only bad point of the design is the I/o with the dreaded maintenance headache .

Using the TF app on my phone. Suddenly cant follow any posted link.
Any ideas anyone??
And I dont know how to ask the administrator for help from the app!!!!

All the police forces and Harbour Masters use them in the UK, so they must work in all conditions; my local police patrol on the Shannon river uses the Bothnia too and tracks straight as an arrow at displacement speeds . The guys told me it can stay up on the plane at 10-11kts! I think that's what makes it into such a fantastic rough water boat; when the the conditions get bad, slow down.

Only bad point of the design is the I/o with the dreaded maintenance headache .

Expensive per foot. Nice boat for cops! Not too bad if sailing solo with lots of cash and big charge cards. Not my cup o' tea. :popcorn:
BTW: Refreshing honesty from reviewer regarding accommodations and other items. However, his feeling that water conditions were on the rough (i.e. choppy) side simply does not pan out. I've seen hot tubs with more turbulence... when "adult" fun time was in progress! - LOL :D

Last edited:
AlaskaProf wrote;
"Their claim that it's quieter is patently absurd. Any acoustic technology they are claiming to use on their two diesels can be fitted to anyone else's two diesels."

I think their claim to low noise is probably much more legitimate than you think as a first thought. Those engines are probably small. Smaller engines make less noise. Excluding chainsaws and dirt bikes of course. And often only one engine will be running. So the engine has a small footprint and/or smaller. What makes more noise on your boat, the main or the gen? Double the size of the engine and you get much more noise. And I forgot to mention that being FD the mains will be smaller in the first place.

Using the TF app on my phone. Suddenly cant follow any posted link.
Any ideas anyone??
And I dont know how to ask the administrator for help from the app!!!!

I use the TF app exclusively on my iPhone and am having no issue. The standard admin response to app wonkiness issues(technical term lol) is to delete the app and reload it. That has worked for me on the two occasions the app started acting wonky over the last several years.

That's honestly about it really as app developers are seldom if ever part of the normal staff at a website.

I've taken the liberty of reporting your post(best way to contact the admin at any forum) so someone from the Site Team should be contacting you via private message soon.

No Limit Ships crosses North Atlantic slideshow:

Last edited:
I wonder if that boat has any kind of stabilizers?

I am behind in this thread but I like this concept. The boat in some ways have the same appearance of a GH37. The interior layout is basically the same as my boat but with more beam. If I could afford it, and had the time for extended cruising from Olympia to Alaska, I would definitely look at something like this.

An interesting Trawler / Cat (former fishing boat) conversion out of Canada:

5831232_20160608111951599_1_XLARGE.jpg

Full details here:

2004 Ocean Voyager Expedition Catamaran Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Rogue is a former university ocean mapping vessel and is a latest conversion by The Ocean Voyager who have successfully delivered the long range expedition vessels PINK SHRIMP, CHAGOS, and ACHARNE. Her catamaran form offers features seldom found on mono-hull expeditionary vessels. She is stable, fast, and efficient and acts as a comfortable multi-purpose offshore platform. She can traverse 7,000 nautical miles of open ocean without refueling. She has a large crane and extended deck that allow her to carry and deploy a 25' SAFE Boat AND up to a 5 ton submarine. She has commercial scanning sonar and a suite of electronics that are unrivaled in a 90' vessel. Her back deck provides a large outside living and working area. She is as efficient, self-contained, and green as can be with a 2500 watt solar system coupled to a large battery bank, LED lighting, 1600 gallon watermaker, waste treatment, 54 kw of electrical generating capability, excellent HVAC and air handling, and many duplicate systems for maximum reliability and comfort.

Rogue is a true global cruiser. Her twin 400 hp Cummins diesels give her an easy 12 knot cruise speed and up to 14 knots of speed when needed. She carries 3,800 gallons of water and 12,000 gallons of fuel. She is built entirely with high strength marine grade 5083 alloy and 6061-T6 framing for maximum stiffness and 3 foot transverse frame spacing and 1 foot longitudinal spacing. The plating is 5/16” thick under the waterline, ¼” for hull and decks and 3/16” for the superstructure. Rogue is an excellent high lattitudes catamaran and, while not ice classed, was was originally built for the waters around Newfoundland and Labrador where ice is common into July. Her comfort systems make her equally at home in the tropics.

I think their claim to low noise is probably much more legitimate than you think as a first thought. Those engines are probably small. Smaller engines make less noise. Excluding chainsaws and dirt bikes of course. And often only one engine will be running. So the engine has a small footprint and/or smaller. What makes more noise on your boat, the main or the gen? Double the size of the engine and you get much more noise. And I forgot to mention that being FD the mains will be smaller in the first place.

Possible we're talking about different technologies. I envisioned something like diesel-electric locomotives, or submarines (watch Das Boot), or the 80,000 ton ro-ro on which I had the good fortune to sail.

If their concept is to cruise on battery for a hundred miles or so and then run an overnight charge, like my electric Smartcar, I suppose thety make a valid claim.

But, the massive fuel capacity and twin generators suggest that case 1 above is what they propose.

'prof

Last edited:
The boat might not need them, but I Sure would.

I don't know...the deep vee steel hull would slice & dice waves, and the two "tunnels" for the props where the stern flattens out would presumably slow down snap rolls. That, and you could easily run at whatever speed is most comfortable. Every boat is a compromise, and this one could get you into all manner of wild exposed coastlines or make fast sprints across open water :thumb:

Haven't looked at the price however...

Looks like about $500k for a 2003 model

I hear ya! It is a cool boat though.

I could talk the admiral into that. Wish it didn't have the DD671, or the over 5' draft, or the nearly 70' length. Never mind. Lol.

Looking at that Paravane setup, I thought a center mast was needed to distribute the loads generated? Maybe I misunderstand.

Back
Top Bottom