Hurricane Isaias— Stuart and Ft Pierce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bahamas essentially closed to tourists, especially Americans and especially Floridians.

We cleared in during the period when they were allowing people in with a negative test result that was less than 7 days old. Our tests were 4 days old. I was very careful to have all my ducks in a row with multiple copies of everything and lots of info. Customs in the Bahamas was serious and careful with us, but polite. No issues on our end, just took longer. It was stressful getting the tests and results and travel visa lined up though.

The Bahamas closed to commercial travel after we were already there, but we did not have to leave. They remained open to private vessels and airplanes, with the exception of Grand Bahama, which was on lockdown.

Also, we heard from reliable sources that they were looking closely at zip codes of applicants for entry and not granting entry to people from hot zones within Florida. We live in a very small rural county in Florida with less than 200 cases and 3 hospitalizations. It's a totally different world here, in many, many ways, than South Florida, thank God.

Crossed to the Abacos on the 6th, came home on the 30th.

It was a good trip, a little weird with Covid and the post Dorian issues, but still good. We intentionally stayed low key, didn't go south of Green Turtle.

GTC is making headway, Black Sound is a mess, New Plymouth is about 50% rebuilt. White Sound area is perhaps 60% rebuilt. Bluff House docks are about half done, Leeward is a total wreck and for sale. Other Shore Club is going to be rebuilt. Black Sound Marina is a total loss.

Good to hear there is progress happening. Wasn’t Leeward recently purchased by some Texas folks? Hate to hear about them and Black Sound Marina. We stayed at Black Sound for a couple of nights years ago when Roy Bowles ran the place.

Did you have to quarantine on your boat for 14 days?

It is now supposed to regain hurricane strength by South Carolina.

Good to hear there is progress happening. Wasn’t Leeward recently purchased by some Texas folks? Hate to hear about them and Black Sound Marina. We stayed at Black Sound for a couple of nights years ago when Roy Bowles ran the place.

Did you have to quarantine on your boat for 14 days?

Not sure on the Texas purchase of Leeward. But we are friends with a family from Freeport that manages/runs one of the larger hotels there. They said Leeward is for sale and that one of their close friends is considering purchasing it. It doesn't appear that any repairs have been done to Leeward since the storm.

When we were there last year we met some people that had a very large (65 plus) bleach jug type cruiser that was berthed for the summer at Leeward's T-dock. I'm going to bite my tounge and just say that they acted like everyone else on the docks was there to serve them. Not pleasant people.

Anyway, I ran into one of my friends who is a GTC ferry captain this summer. He said the bleach jug people walked away from their boat prior to the storm and did nothing to it, no prep at all. It broke loose and smashed into one of their ferrys, which also broke loose and was eventually found on Umbrella Cay, 31 miles away. The bleach jug sank. Rumor is that they just wanted to collect the insurance.

I probably saw that bleach jug cruiser there last summer. There were a few of them there partying hard.

When I got back to GTC after Dorian to retrieve my boat Josh told me one of their ferries moored in Black Sound had broken free and drifted far away and sunk. He didn’t tell me how it happened. That really sucks.

I can’t believe that big Defever named Spice made it through the storm on its mooring in Black Sound. It was floating fine when I was there, like no big deal. Lol.

Last edited:
Non event for sure in St Augustine. My American flag and pole are usually the last things down and first up. They were but it wasn't needed. about 15kts on the ICW where I am, and 20 kts on the beach. Not complaining....at all

I'm sure Ski isn't among those saying it's over. Myrtle Beach bracing for tonight as are Carolina Beach, Holden Beach and other coastal NC areas. The shelter situation is interesting as they've said they would be very limited and should not be your first choice as they've issued evacuation orders in NC. Forecast also for flooding with 8" or more rain, but still well below Matthew and Florence. It will only be a tropical storm beyond NC as it continues up the coast but as such and over land can cause a lot of issues. It will still have 60-65 mph winds well up the coast.

Back
Top Bottom