Old 09-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #21

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Industrial Canal before Kennedy's Marina?

ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #22
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
The hole next to the cedar lake bridge

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #23
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
How's that work, swamp? Looks like everyone tied bow first to the bank. I don't see any sign of stern anchors, etc. Rely on plenty of fenders and let the sterns move as they will?

Genuine curiousity here - not a critique. I know the guys over there have been doing this for decades with success, apparently.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I'm glad there was little drama associated with Gordon. The system I am watching VERY closely is now developing off the west coast of Africa (INVEST 92)

http://vmcluster.wright-weather.com/model_tracks.html
Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I'm glad there was little drama associated with Gordon. The system I am watching VERY closely is now developing off the west coast of Africa (INVEST 92)

http://vmcluster.wright-weather.com/model_tracks.html
And Jebi is the strongest tycoon to threaten Japan in 25 years.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
The hole next to the cedar lake bridge
I bet there was an all night party going on between the boats! Glad everyone was safe! Did you make any money selling ice from your onboard giant icemaker? I would want to be real close to you during a storm!!!!

After a storm down here ice becomes more valuable than fuel!
Old 09-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
How's that work, swamp? Looks like everyone tied bow first to the bank. I don't see any sign of stern anchors, etc. Rely on plenty of fenders and let the sterns move as they will?

Genuine curiousity here - not a critique. I know the guys over there have been doing this for decades with success, apparently.

I am not certain what their plan was but I have 600 of 1 1/4 line that I would have stretched out from the stern and hooked a tree. Cat 2 or above there is a lot of lines out, Im surprised they closed the harbors for a ts but you never know
Old 09-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
I bet there was an all night party going on between the boats! Glad everyone was safe! Did you make any money selling ice from your onboard giant icemaker? I would want to be real close to you during a storm!!!!

After a storm down here ice becomes more valuable than fuel!

We did! Had lots of ice and cooked steaks. Met new friends and hung out with old friends. To much beer and fireball, glad the storm turned because I would have been worthless.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
We did! Had lots of ice and cooked steaks. Met new friends and hung out with old friends. To much beer and fireball, glad the storm turned because I would have been worthless.
Glad you made the best of it!
Old 09-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #30
Guru

"I’m surprised they closed the harbors for a ts but you never know"

That's the only thing that keeps me out of there this time of year. The MS marinas seem hell bent on kicking boats out at the first sign of a ripple. Additionally, Biloxi instituted a citywide 7:00 pm to sunrise curfew last night.

Everything over here (NOLA) shut down for yesterday and today. Let me be more clear - all of government took two days off. Everybody else went to work. I understand not taking any significant stom for granted, but the pendulum sure seems to have swung to borderline ridiculous.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #31

City: Biloxi
Quote:

During big storms about every 3rd boat has someone staying on it, as the tidal surge comes in they go to their neighboring boats and let the bow lines out. All the boats rise together. During Katrina there must have been close to 100 boats in Hurricane Hole, the tidal surge was incredible somewhere between 25 to 30 ft. Only the tops of the pine trees were showing. As the surge recedes they tighten the lines. If a boat breaks loose and is just free floating around someone will take a shot gun slug to it below the water line and sink it so it doesn't sink other boats. Happened during Katrina. Our 40' survived up there with no damage.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:06 PM   #32
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:

That's the only thing that keeps me out of there this time of year. The MS marinas seem hell bent on kicking boats out at the first sign of a ripple. Additionally, Biloxi instituted a citywide 7:00 pm to sunrise curfew last night.

Everything over here (NOLA) shut down for yesterday and today. Let me be more clear - all of government took two days off. Everybody else went to work. I understand not taking any significant stom for granted, but the pendulum sure seems to have swung to borderline ridiculous.
One would think the govt would keep the necessary govt personnel 'onboard', ready to direct the recovery process.
So much a real Plan A.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #33
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Do marinas in Pensacola and other FL panhandle areas also make you move in a storm? That seems like a huge PITA for a non-local.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #34
Guru

OldDan - I was actually referring to the "non-essential" 90% government tail. The doers (first response) organizations were remarkably measured - alert status up, but no substantive moves, evaluating the situation as it matured. It was the city halls, schools, govt offices that way over reacted.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Do marinas in Pensacola and other FL panhandle areas also make you move in a storm? That seems like a huge PITA for a non-local.
Wifey B: Huge PITA for anyone. Build better marinas. Good floating docks with tall pilings. Well secured docks and boats. I hate to think of the number of people put at risk to move some of the boats.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #36

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Rain Dog
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Some marinas in Pensacola evacuate, some don't. Depends on where they are located. For example, Palifox and Santa Rosa require evacuation for any named storm. Some (most?) of the marina's on Bayou Chico do not require evac.
Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #37
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:

We live on the Mississippi gulf coast. A lot of folks here still expect every storm to be the next Katrina (and, of course, a lot of the the government; state, local and federal, are still pretty embarrassed about a lot of what they did before and after Katrina). No one wants to be accused of under-reacting. It will be a while longer before that notion changes, I suspect.

But, now, with every storm treated as an apocalypse (that doesn't actually happen), you have more and more people who discount the warnings completely, setting things up for a real mess when the next big one actually does show up.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #38
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
It was not the boats that caused the trouble. It was the unused buses to take people inland before the storm. Had to commercial driver's license. Sometimes the the rules should be ignore in the interest of getting people out of town.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

But, now, with every storm treated as an apocalypse that doesn't actually happen, you have more and more people who discount the warnings completely, setting things up for a real mess when the next big one actually does show up.
Wifey B: I call that the "Chicken Little Effect." The sky is falling, the sky is falling, the sky is falling. Then when you try to warn people, they don't listen.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #40
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Huge PITA for anyone. Build better marinas. Good floating docks with tall pilings. Well secured docks and boats. I hate to think of the number of people put at risk to move some of the boats.
This has to be true. Moving a large number of boats to "wherever" has to be more dangerous than having properly built marinas in the first place. Of course it DOES remove the marina from needing to have good docks. "Oh, named storm, you have to leave." (Because our docks aren't good enough) of course eventually the marinas that do have well designed and built docks will attract more customers willing to pay more for better security.

Ken

kchace is offline   Reply With Quote