How much wind can a Bimini enclosure take.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pluto

Vessel Name
Hot Shot
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I’m on my boat in Charleston Harbor. We are supposed to get tropical storm force winds tomorrow. My enclosure is tight and strong. Think I need to take it down? I dread doing that.

I would on my boat, even though it’s a PIA. I usually don’t worry about it for less than 40 it’s. Over 50 I always would.

While not a hurricane and I have a hardtop mine have stood up to 57 mph, however it was not sustained for hours on end. I would take a bimini down.

How much wind damage can your wallet handle along with a long wait to get the work done? Over 30 years boating in FL. Always took curtains off and folded bimini down and wrapped straps/rope around it. Also took of any window, flybridge covers. Twisted nylon(it stretches and absorbs shock) instead of braid. Witnessed lots of biminis get shredded and bent also saw cleats yanked out of docks with braid. Just tropical strength wind, rain and surge is all it takes.

How well does it survive a good thunderstorm?

Enclosures are a big reason boat insurance is so high....

Not only do a lot come apart because owners dont take them down, but the flailing frames break windows and scratch gel/paint.

A blown apart enclosure can be an easy $20,000 claim.

Last edited:
While not a hurricane and I have a hardtop mine have stood up to 57 mph, however it was not sustained for hours on end. I would take a bimini down.

Comodave - I seem to recall the hardtop over your flybridge is a poly-carb item from an online specialty shop. Would you remove that too, or just the side panels?

Psneeld's comments that damaged canvas doesn't just lift-off, it beats the crap out of everything within arm's length is oh-so-true. The little metal snaps flailing for an hour or two will likely do a remarkable amount of damage.

Good luck - fair winds.

Peter

Just take it down, PIA or not, insurance or not.

I have a night cover for my flybridge which takes only about 15 minutes to put in place.it's a PIA. I always put it up at night. Better when I am dressed and it is not raining and light out than at 2 in the morning with rain pouring down or blowing sideways and me in my skivies wishing I was in bed.

I think in eight years of owning the boat I have left it off maybe 5 times. Half of those times I was up in the middle of the night wishing I had done it earlier.

I know it isn't the same thing but "Better Safe than Sorry"

Pete

Even though the wind and storm do not look to ferocious (at this point on Monday morning), I have decided to take mine down
I have thot way to much about it all weekend.

And even tho windy.com says it wont be too bad...for my peace of mind and for not wishing early tuesday morning if the wind shifts and we get more of a blast than anticipated today.....I am taking it down.

Better safe than sorry

Tim

Take it down, fold it down, wrap it up and tie it down.
TS wind forces can cause so much pressure on the bimini the metal bows will bend out of shape. Stick you head out the window of your car going 50 mph for an hour, you'll kind of get the idea.

I’m on my boat in Charleston Harbor. We are supposed to get tropical storm force winds tomorrow. My enclosure is tight and strong. Think I need to take it down? I dread doing that.

All isinglass comes off. Leave bimini erected (if it has metal arms)but folded and put it's cover on or wrap with straps or rope and lay it down. No need to remove the frame. It's pretty heavy and not likely to blow around if tied down. Good opportunity to give curtains a thorough cleaning and lube zippers when you put it all back.

North Florida here. Some of our regular afternoon thunderstorms are brutal with high winds. I did not take my bridge enclosure down for this one. It’s brand new. I can also remake myself. It’s not to say I won’t take it down for the next one. I watch it closely and the shear this storm had has contributed to my decision.

Attachments

• 445CE5FB-BBAF-4497-8F51-7239BEA7032E.jpg
    445CE5FB-BBAF-4497-8F51-7239BEA7032E.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 15
I've learned - the hard way - to fold my bimini and cover it with the cover made for it. I've had the bows bent, set screws vibrate out, pins come out, fabric torn. I'm a SLOW learner, lazy, but cheap!

Fold it or take it down.

It all depends on the bimini and enclosure in question. Design and strength of the frame as well as how tight the fabric is, how well fastened it is, size of zippers, etc. will all determine how much wind it'll survive.

It all depends on the bimini and enclosure in question. Design and strength of the frame as well as how tight the fabric is, how well fastened it is, size of zippers, etc. will all determine how much wind it'll survive.

Exactly

I remove all the fabric, and then use diagonal lines to add bracing to the empty frame (which now has minimum wind resistance since the fabric is gone). I look at it like reefing sails, which is to say if one is thinking about it, then that's the time to do it.

It's the same way I don't anchor overnight for purely calm weather; you never know and it sucks dealing with it at 3 a.m.

Additional reasons are as follows:

1) I don't want to be "that guy" whose furling sail, canvas, chairs, or whatever end up causing my boat to come adrift (canvas windage causes extra strain on lines) or fly around and cause damage to another persons boat.

2) Even if my canvas "survived," think of all the extra wear and tear on it from resisting the wind vs. being taken down. (Canvas is not only expensive, but can be a hassle to get - especially if a bunch of storm-damaged canvas in a given area causes the local canvasmakers to have a backlog.) (If you've ever been behind someone towing a boat with the canvas up -- even at 45-50 mph -- you have seen the strain it puts on it.)

3) Hurricanes and storms can be a bit unpredictable and "wobble" a bit. I'd just rather not worry about every little change in trajectory.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom