Old 05-21-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: East Coast & Caribbean
Vessel Name: Untethered
Vessel Model: Selene 57
How to keep tools from rusting?

What do you all do to keep tools, left on the boat, from rusting over time?

Also, if you have rusted tools, what's the best way to remove the rust?

Thanks!
Richard
La Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #2

City: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: Pearl
Vessel Model: Beneteau Flyer 12
Iíve been using 6-7 plain charcoal briquettes (not the kind with built in lighter fluid) in an old stocking, tie the end and place in your tool box, bag etc. The briquettes will absorb water and help prevent rust. I use 3-4 in the smaller orange tool boxes. Also have these in the garage tool draws and garage closets. Most spray-on products can make the tools slippers when using.
Easternshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I wipe my tools down with 3 in 1 oil and keep them dry. If the tools are already rusty, I use a wire wheel on bench grinder to remove the rust. I also store most of tools out side of the engine room. Its a tough spot to store things that can rust or corrode.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
One thing to do is use a grease rubbed on them, then rub it off. And put them in plastic bags or not.
To remove rust, a stainless steel scouring pad, dish soap and scrub, it will remove superficial rust. I just did this on a Craftsman 1 11/16" socket. Cleaned it and greased it.

Chromed steel has tiny microscopic pits. (now you know why chromed steels rust) The steel under the chrome rusts through the tiny pits and spreads across the chromed surface. The grease will help seal those pits. I use this Lucas green grease

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Here is a good Youtube video comparing different solutions to remove rust:

Old 05-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Except there are products to remove rust and some to covert rust....didn't hear any explanation if what was what.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:59 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Except there are products to remove rust and some to covert rust....didn't hear any explanation if what was what.
Good point. Removing rust is usually mechanical process. To convert rust, I wouldn’t do it to any of my tools. From my understanding a convertor takes the rust and converts into a hard stable surface? I’ve used a converter to prep for paint rusted surfaces but never on my tools.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:58 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
If you are serious and want to remove all rust w/o any attack of remaining base metal try electrolysis.
https://www.instructables.com/Electr...?amp_page=true
I used this on an old wood lathe I picked up.... totally stripped all rust on large & small pieces, chucks, beds, legs, headstock, etc. Wash off the residue, dry and prime quickly as the base metal is super cleaned and oxidizes quickly if not protected. I used self etching auto primer and engine enamel and it turned out like new.
Best if bath is close to the size & shape of part and electrodes are close to the part.

I keep a 5 gal bucket with electrodes fastened inside for.all small parts. 12V batty charger works great.
Worth a try to convince yourself how nice this works.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:05 PM   #9
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I keep many of the boat tools in a heavy plastic air-tight Milwaukee tool box I bought at Harbor freight. It is like a very thick brief case. I have been known to open its top and spray some CorrosionX or WD40 over the the tools. Several other smaller, non-tight boxes get inspected more frequently and sprayed if required. I will hit a at tool with rust converter if the tool will benefit. It's not a boat tool, I have a big steel carpenter's square which got a case of surface rust to the point the scale numbers were hard to read. I hit it with wet n dry sandpaper in varying grit until it was shiny and then let it stay wet until a very thin layer of rust developed. I died it and hit it with Extend as I recall. The result is a shiny ebony-colored tool which sits rust-free in the shed and was even recently used by the wife to square a quilt she is making after being judged VERY clean and dry.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:13 PM   #10

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Good point. Removing rust is usually mechanical process. To convert rust, I wouldnít do it to any of my tools. From my understanding a convertor takes the rust and converts into a hard stable surface? Iíve used a converter to prep for paint rusted surfaces but never on my tools.
Not sure the basis for this. I use Ospho all the time for rusted tools.
Btw the fastest way I have found to remove rust/corrosion is a 12v 90 deg Milwaukee die grinder with 3m ROLOC pad -way faster than wire wheel or sandpaper.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:37 PM   #11
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
For rust tools the best is evaporust. Take your tool give it a bath in evaporust for between 15 minutes to many hours depending on the level of rust, rinse with water, done. If really dirty rub with fine steel wool. This product cost about 18$ a gallon, and can be reused many times until becoming dark black.
You can also just dip your tools in pure white vinegar for few hours to a night depending on state. Rinse with water and either dry or if you want to be sure to remove any last drop of water rinse with denatured alcohol and let dry.

I am rehabbing tools older than my great grand father (like tools dated from 1800 to 1920) and I use this.

Edit note: if you want to prevent rusting, rub your tools with light oil (like 3 in one or camellia oil etc) or beeswax. No need to cover them with a thick layer, just rub them with a oiled or waxed rag after each use and that's it.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #12
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I keep all my tools inside the boat in the A/C. (in FL)
No signs of rust.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:50 AM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
For rust tools the best is evaporust. Take your tool give it a bath in evaporust for between 15 minutes to many hours depending on the level of rust, rinse with water, done. If really dirty rub with fine steel wool. This product cost about 18$ a gallon, and can be reused many times until becoming dark black.
You can also just dip your tools in pure white vinegar for few hours to a night depending on state. Rinse with water and either dry or if you want to be sure to remove any last drop of water rinse with denatured alcohol and let dry.

I am rehabbing tools older than my great grand father (like tools dated from 1800 to 1920) and I use this.

Edit note: if you want to prevent rusting, rub your tools with light oil (like 3 in one or camellia oil etc) or beeswax. No need to cover them with a thick layer, just rub them with a oiled or waxed rag after each use and that's it.

L
If you haven't, you should view that previous posted video on rust removers. While your suggestions are good, the video results shows a few twists (at least the way I interpreted it.)
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Jackson NJ
Vessel Name: Venture
Vessel Model: Cutwater 28
I soak rusty tools in vinegar. Then rinse. As a bonus tools are less prone to rust after that. I keep tools in a canvas riggers bag.
Martin610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:48 AM   #15
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If you haven't, you should view that previous posted video on rust removers. While your suggestions are good, the video results shows a few twists (at least the way I interpreted it.)
I watched it and I am a bit surprise by the timing of his experiments, does not quite match my experience except for vinegar that needs more time. The only time I left something bathing in evaporust for a whole night is when I forgot it. I don't remember having left anything in it more than 4h or so and most are far more rusty than the wrench shown at the end.
I also used one product named rust remover made in Canada, it was effective but had a tendency to blacken the metal what I really don't want, and the stain in the product was really nasty, a drop on your skin and you have a blue/green mark for quite a while.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #16
Guru

In the factory where I worked, the Tool and Die makers would put pennies in their toolbox to prevent rust.

I did the same in my boat tool bags and it must have worked.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:22 AM   #17
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
In the factory where I worked, the Tool and Die makers would put pennies in their toolbox to prevent rust.

I did the same in my boat tool bags and it must have worked.
I guess now I have to go find some real copper pennies.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Just move to Michigan...
As the saying goes. Great Lakes unsalted and shark free.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #19
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I guess now I have to go find some real copper pennies.
Pre 1983 are copper. Actually the first half of '83 is copper too.

An easier solution is to buy copper pipe. Opt for 1/4" as you can use that (sheathed of course) as a butt connector for 8awg.

I keep a couple chunks in my raw water basket. Empirical evidence suggests for me I get zero growth in my filter assembly. Oh, and hello.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Just move to Michigan...
As the saying goes. Great Lakes unsalted and shark free.
What if you've already moved FROM Michigan?