How is Everyone Dealing with Starlink Roam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
same here..so we go once a week ashore, to a free wifi place, download all the movies onto a 4 TB drive and watch them that way

That is a new idea to me.

I've never seen an option on streaming sites to download.

Where and how do you do that? This could end up hijacking this thread so maybe best to either PM me or start a fresh thread?

Where and how do you do that? This could end up hijacking this thread so maybe best to either PM me or start a fresh thread?

Yaaarrrggghhh :pirate:

We are now cruising in Alaska, about a month ago we got the love letter from Elon saying we have violated the terms of use on our RV starlink while using it while moving. We were forced to go to a Marine roaming plan that cost $250 a month for 50 gigs and $2 per gig over. It has been the talk of the dock up here among cruisers. If you read the contract carefully you get 50 gigs of high speed data for that price and you have to opt in for the $2 a gig overage. We had not been streaming anything and we got an email in 10 days after opting in that said we had used 48 gigs since we had paid for the upgraded plan. We had not streamed any video just reading news and checking weather a near impossibility. We talked to other people and they got the same letter in 4-6 days an impossibility. Several people we talked to said they unchecked the box opting for the extra gigs at $2 a gig. We also did that and so far we all have agreed that we can't see a speed decrease. So now we are streaming away with no cap. But paying the $250 a month.
Hope this helps.

We are now cruising in Alaska, about a month ago we got the love letter from Elon saying we have violated the terms of use on our RV starlink while using it while moving. We were forced to go to a Marine roaming plan that cost $250 a month for 50 gigs and $2 per gig over. It has been the talk of the dock up here among cruisers. If you read the contract carefully you get 50 gigs of high speed data for that price and you have to opt in for the $2 a gig overage. We had not been streaming anything and we got an email in 10 days after opting in that said we had used 48 gigs since we had paid for the upgraded plan. We had not streamed any video just reading news and checking weather a near impossibility. We talked to other people and they got the same letter in 4-6 days an impossibility. Several people we talked to said they unchecked the box opting for the extra gigs at $2 a gig. We also did that and so far we all have agreed that we can't see a speed decrease. So now we are streaming away with no cap. But paying the $250 a month.
Hope this helps.

Again, wrong plan

Work it out
50 gb X $2 is $100
Use the normal plan with fast unlimited data in the blue map
Toggle on to $2/GB when cut off on the black map and limit your usage.
Toggle off when approaching the blue

Netflix, Amazon Prime, and I believe Hulu have options to download content. I picked one at random for each Netflix and Amazon Prime below.

There is a limit to the number of movies that either service allows to be downloaded. I think there is also a time limit by which it must be watched.

Peter Screenshot_20230603_051336_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20230603_051258_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Perspective:

:lol:

We have had Starlink on our boat for two years. Our experience is mostly coasta cruising and an annual trip to Bahama in the spring and Canada every other year.

Last year Starlink did not work in the Bahamas. With the new agreement with BTC it works fine. Once away from cell coverage it decides that we are on the ocean and requests the marine option. We did not select the option and once we were near the Florida coast it began working again. Offshore from Little River SC to Morehead City it cut out again only the return to operating when near to shore.

Last year we went to Halifax NS. The only dead zone was in the Gulf of Maine. Again returning to cell coverage it returned to operation.

We believe that if you are in North America that if you have cellular coverage the Roaming plan works fine. As with everything else things may change but for now this works great. Speeds up to and over
200mb/s most times and at least 75-125 all the time.

Also our dishy is mounted inside on of our domes on the arch.

The only issue came when watching DirecTV. In the Bahamas the Starlink interferes with the DTV. DTV is receive only and Starlink transmits. It would have to be disabled to use DTV. With the DTV content now being mostly commercials and crappy news the only thing we find DTV good for is DYI, Below Deck and Jeopardy!

We have had Starlink on our boat for two years. Our experience is mostly coasta cruising and an annual trip to Bahama in the spring and Canada every other year.

Last year Starlink did not work in the Bahamas. With the new agreement with BTC it works fine. Once away from cell coverage it decides that we are on the ocean and requests the marine option. We did not select the option and once we were near the Florida coast it began working again. Offshore from Little River SC to Morehead City it cut out again only the return to operating when near to shore.

Last year we went to Halifax NS. The only dead zone was in the Gulf of Maine. Again returning to cell coverage it returned to operation.

We believe that if you are in North America that if you have cellular coverage the Roaming plan works fine. As with everything else things may change but for now this works great. Speeds up to and over
200mb/s most times and at least 75-125 all the time.

Also our dishy is mounted inside on of our domes on the arch.

The only issue came when watching DirecTV. In the Bahamas the Starlink interferes with the DTV. DTV is receive only and Starlink transmits. It would have to be disabled to use DTV. With the DTV content now being mostly commercials and crappy news the only thing we find DTV good for is DYI, Below Deck and Jeopardy!

I don't think starlink coverage has anything to do with cellular coverage. Starlink has a service map that shows where regular Mobile service works (blue patches) and where Mobile Premium is required (black patches).

The amount of misinformation in this thread is just amazing and it doesn't matter how many times the correct info (info that is proven to be working) gets written and then a new mis-info post shows up.

I think people will/are be better serviced going to a dedicated SL site to get their info.

Rectangular.

Thanks for the info. Which dome? I’ve got the RayMarine HD which I believe is 24”. I was erroneously using some dated info on the rectangular dish that suggested it would not fit inside. I just measured mine and see that it is 23” on the diagonal so that should fit. But not sure about the height in the parked position (tilted up). Also, is your dish the rectangular RV type (ie with motors in it) or the HD version (marine I think they call it?)? Thx.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom