Historic registration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I am proud to announce Southerly now has a historic registration! She is 34 years young!

Requirements: must be 30 years old or older with the original engine. $6.95 yearly registration in Florida. Once you have the historic designation, you have it forever! Pretty cool emblem instead of a registration sticker too!!

I am interested. How do I learn more about this for Wisconsin?

Not only is my boat over 30, just about everything on board is also. Some of my tools were a H.S. graduation gift from dad in 1969, I have a WWII sleeping bag on board, Some of my knives are that old and I am pretty sure some of my socks and long underwear qualify also.

pete

See if your DMV has a special designation for antique vessels.

Just go to your dmv and say you need a historic registration. Bring your documents. They may not know how to do it, but my dmv is stellar. Took a bit of time, but once they register it historic, you send it to the state for your emblem.

Pretty cool and saves a ton of money.

I am interested. How do I learn more about this for Wisconsin?

Not only is my boat over 30, just about everything on board is also. Some of my tools were a H.S. graduation gift from dad in 1969, I have a WWII sleeping bag on board, Some of my knives are that old and I am pretty sure some of my socks and long underwear qualify also.

pete

Look up historic vessel registration for Wisconsin. Oh and buy new underwear! Lol!!

Greetings,
Ms. D. Holy Crapola! Your boat is older than you are (I'm guessing by a LOT). Congrat's.

200w.webp

Greetings,
Ms. D. Holy Crapola! Your boat is older than you are (I'm guessing by a LOT). Congrat's.

You old flirt!

Hey Donna, how are things down in retirement land!

Once we are given the all clear we are thinking of a long weekend down at Marineland.

You old flirt!

Hey Donna, how are things down in retirement land!

Once we are given the all clear we are thinking of a long weekend down at Marineland.

Thing are actually really good here. Of course everything is closed but our cases of the China virus is low. Check with marine land. They had a boat fire there not too long ago. Not sure what their slip situation is.

Thing are actually really good here. Of course everything is closed but our cases of the China virus is low. Check with marine land. They had a boat fire there not too long ago. Not sure what their slip situation is.

This year?

We were down there at PCM in Jan and learned that they had spent millions on the Marineland marina so were looking forward to trying it out when it turned to beach weather.

This year?

We were down there at PCM in Jan and learned that they had spent millions on the Marineland marina so were looking forward to trying it out when it turned to beach weather.

Not exactly sure. The months are running together. I’m thinking November, December? I’ll see if I can look it up on flaglerlive.com

I am proud to announce Southerly now has a historic registration! She is 34 years young!

Requirements: must be 30 years old or older with the original engine. $6.95 yearly registration in Florida. Once you have the historic designation, you have it forever! Pretty cool emblem instead of a registration sticker too!!

Wifey B: She was eligible 4 years ago, was she refusing to admit her real age? :)

Not exactly sure. The months are running together. I’m thinking November, December? I’ll see if I can look it up on flaglerlive.com

Well, when we do come down there you need to quit avoiding me and git yer ass up there for a meet and greet wine social! (MTOA not counting!).

Not meaning to split hairs here, but it doesn't have to have the ORIGINAL engine, just an engine of the same year and model that the vessel had originally. So someone who had had their engine replaced, for example a FL120, with another FL120 of the same year would still be able to take advantage of the "Antique Vessel Registration" in Florida.

Below is a link for the Sarasota Florida tax collector with links to the registration form, and location of service centers where the registration can be processed.

Good on you in taking advantage of this policy!
:D

Seems to be conflicting info on the engine requirement.

Older law says original type... some more recent looks to be the "original" powerplant.

I can't say for sure, but my guess is the county clerk's could care less for the most part as long as the boat is 30 or more YOA....you are certifying whatever the law really says.

Seems to be conflicting info on the engine requirement.
Older law says original type... some more recent looks to be the "original" powerplant.
I can't say for sure, but my guess is the county clerk's could care less for the most part as long as the boat is 30 or more YOA....you are certifying whatever the law really says.

Yep, probably true, for some boats that had a lot of different engines installed when built, for example Defevers, built to order in different boat yards, you could probably get away with FL120, Perkins, maybe Mercedes, etc, as long as still type installed during that time period. May not meet the letter of the requirement, but would probably never get challenged. Not if it had a newer Cummins, that would probably be a no go!

I checked Michigan Secretary of State web site. We have exemptions for snowmobiles but not for boats that I could see. And the snowmobile could only be used for exhibition type of events. Lucky Florida residents...

We registered our NT as an antique also, the wonderful DMV person that help us asked if it had the same type of propulsion. She was very helpful.
I have no yet sent in the paper work in for the antique emblem.

Historic Registration

My GB 36 is 36 years old now, with original engine. Berthed in Pensacola. I'll take advantage of this on my next registration!

Well, when we do come down there you need to quit avoiding me and git yer ass up there for a meet and greet wine social! (MTOA not counting!).
When this is all over I'd like to meet, have a beer and see your boat.

It was fine when we stopped there overnight a month ago.

Thank you, Donna. I've located the form provided on the internet, filled it out and will head to the tag office tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom