Helm seat post size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Filbert

Vessel Name
Pelican V
Vessel Make
‘81 49 Defevber RPH
I’m getting ready to add a helm seat to my 49 Defever RPH. I have a nice LLebroc series 2 seat that I want to put on an adjustable height pedestal. I have two questions:

First- How much of a difference is the stability of a 4” post vs 2 7/8”? I will need to be at a height of roughly 24”

Second- My slider needed to have a fairly significant front to back distance. The pilot house on the boat has a table behind where the seat will go and I’ll need to position it so that its forward enough to get around the back side when were stationary but far enough back underway that I can stand and steer. Any suggestions?

I would think the base would deliver most of the stability. Neither of those two tubes are going to flex. And those may be the only choices. Anything else would need to be custom welded .. I would think.

I have a LLebroc seat and the 4" post and slider they offer. If memory serves correctly it's a srpingfield brand but I'm not sure.

It's been on the boatfor years in some pretty nasty weather and is rock solid.

So... that's my recommendation

Attachments

• B4F2BC1D-A3B6-45BD-8606-830EAEB3AEC2.jpg
    B4F2BC1D-A3B6-45BD-8606-830EAEB3AEC2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 14
First- How much of a difference is the stability of a 4” post vs 2 7/8”? I will need to be at a height of roughly 24”

Second- My slider needed to have a fairly significant front to back distance. The pilot house on the boat has a table behind where the seat will go and I’ll need to position it so that its forward enough to get around the back side when were stationary but far enough back underway that I can stand and steer. Any suggestions?

I don't know difference in stability, but our current Garelick Commander II pedestals have approx. 4" posts and they're really solid.

FWIW, our previous boat came with Garelick pedestals and Springfield slide hardware. Seemed a little goofy, but it worked fine.

What we have now offers significant fore-and-aft movement, a decent up-and down range (via gas spring), and then the seats rotate 360° too -- with stops every 45° I think (or at least every 90°). I don't know if fore-and-aft movement changes to sideways movement if the seat is rotated first; hmmm... have to check that...

Presumably the actual seats can be fairly interchangeable, so I'd guess your Llebroc could be mounted to it...

-Chris

Our fly bridge has two helm chairs on similar pedestal mounts and while stable, they creak loudly and are uninspiring. I’ve been thinking of replacing them with a bench seat, and somewhat surprised to see so many “rock solid” descriptions. What am I missing?

How is the base attached to the deck? Is it through bolted and backed up? If it is then it should be solid if the deck is thick enough.

I don't know for sure, but I would bet it is bolted through the glass/foam core/glass sandwich of the bridge deck with a backing plate. I am less sure of how the holes through which the bolts pass are drilled through solid columns, or simply pass through the core sandwich.

And it is entirely possible that the loud creaking comes from the slide and swivel assembly. Some lubrication may be the right first move.

Attachments

• IMG_7887.jpeg
    IMG_7887.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 49
Hopefully they reefed out the bolt hols and filled them with thickened epoxy and redrilled the holes. With a foam core the bolts could crush the foam and give you some play. Or have plywood in that area so it doesn’t crush.

I’m getting ready to add a helm seat to my 49 Defever RPH. I have a nice LLebroc series 2 seat that I want to put on an adjustable height pedestal. I have two questions:

Lucky you. I did everything wrong. I went cheap and paid the price (pun intended). I started with the truck seat, shock absorbing mount and 2 7/8 post. I've never topped a tree, but I think I have a good understanding of the feeling after sitting on the above set-up. I then went with Llebroc. I got the 4 inch post, but didn't get one that adjusted high enough. I ended up with the 22-32 inch adjustable post. Very happy with how solid everything turned out. Worst customer service I've ever experienced with Llebroc. Several items had to be returned due to being broken during shipping, or sending the wrong part. It took several months to get things right-no apologies on their part either.
I had the same issue as you with a table behind the helm seat. I ended up mounting the pedestal slightly forward of the old post holes. I had Tap Plastics cut a black acrylic "donut" (about 3-4 inches wide) to go around the pedestal base to cove the old holes. I'm not on the boat to send a pic now.

What we have now offers significant fore-and-aft movement, a decent up-and down range (via gas spring), and then the seats rotate 360° too -- with stops every 45° I think (or at least every 90°). I don't know if fore-and-aft movement changes to sideways movement if the seat is rotated first; hmmm... have to check that...

Yep, 45 degree stops, and the slide direction does indeed follow the rotation direction.

-Chris

I’ve definitely never seen that before. Interesting…..

Thanks for all of the responses. I’m pretty sure I’ll go with some kind of adjustable 4” post on a 12’ base. The seat all seem to be workable with my seat. I may have to re-drill a few holes but that’s easy enough. Now I just need to get beyond the price point! Wow, this things are spendy!

Back
Top Bottom