Helm seat post adapter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Looking for an adapter for my new helm seat. Old seat sat on 2 3/8" post. New seat is designed for a 2 7/8" post! Can't find an adapter bushing... Any ideas???

Thanks. Bob on My Lady in Boot Key Harbor...

What comes to mind is PCV pipe or PCV couplings. It my not work, but would I look.

There are huge stresses on that joint. PVC would quickly fail. You need to fill in about a half an inch. Try thick copper gasket material and wrap it several times so you have to really force it on.

Checked Amazon and copper sheet will be expensive. But found this bushing that might work:

https://propridemarine.com/2-7-8-se...ChMInsaina3ChAMVwGVHAR3JlwEHEAQYBCABEgKtJvD_B

Unfortunately, no details but the price is right.

David

Last edited:
Machine shop can make a bushing out of aluminum pretty easily. May be pricey though.

You are sitting in Boot Key Harbor, probably with limited options. You need to make up around a quarter inch all the way around. I think I would wrap the table tube with Saran wrap put 3 to four small !/4" strips of something around the tube to make it tight and equal on all sides and then ramp JB Weld putty around the tube to fill up the space. Pull the tube out, remove the wrap and the spacers then fill in any spaces with more putty, sand it to look good and worry about something grand later.
Just a thought but one easy enough to do.

My swivel helm seats flex and squeak something terrible. It's to the point that I am looking to replace them with a bench seat.

I think you will find that the 2 7/8" post will fit nicely over the 2 3/8". I extended my 2 7/8" post by using a 2 3/8" as a splice, them polished the standard aluminum pipe.

Take your tubes to a muffler shop.
They have expanders and shrinkers
They adapt different size tubes to co-habitate all the time.

If you get me the dimensions you need I will turn an aluminum spacer on the lathe for you. Free of charge, because….trawlers!

Back
Top Bottom