HeatTrak on Flybridge Canvas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

murofrelwart

Vessel Name
Dreams
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3988
With all the snow in the PNW, I've been wondering about ways to mitigate risk of excess buildup, especially on the roof of a canvas flybridge cover. I'm wondering if anyone may have tried HeatTrak mats - they are designed to keep snow/ice off of sidewalks and steps and are available in various sizes. I'm thinking putting a couple of these on the roof, securing them for wind of course, may help. Any experience or thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/HeatTrak-Mel...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

muro,
That is an interesting idea. I have no direct experience with that product. But I do have 30 years experience as engineer dealing with heat transfer issues on many "things."

My first thought is to give HeatTrack a call and ask them about your idea, if they would have any concerns.

2nd: once the snow melts, how hot does your bimini get once things get above freezing? I see no thermostats or such devices in the system. My concern would be for hot spots, but I don't know how hot a HeatTrack mat gets in free air or against bimini fabric.
If you go with this, tape up the 120V plug on the power unit to keep moisture out, or you might see GFI interrupts due to leakage at a wet connection.

I just finished removing 10" of snow from my boat up in La Conner. My after deck canvas had about 3", the rest just blew off in the storms. I take down my bimini and have storm tarps for the flybridge now.

muro,
That is an interesting idea. I have no direct experience with that product. But I do have 30 years experience as engineer dealing with heat transfer issues on many "things."

My first thought is to give HeatTrack a call and ask them about your idea, if they would have any concerns.

2nd: once the snow melts, how hot does your bimini get once things get above freezing? I see no thermostats or such devices in the system. My concern would be for hot spots, but I don't know how hot a HeatTrack mat gets in free air or against bimini fabric.
If you go with this, tape up the 120V plug on the power unit to keep moisture out, or you might see GFI interrupts due to leakage at a wet connection.

I just finished removing 10" of snow from my boat up in La Conner. My after deck canvas had about 3", the rest just blew off in the storms. I take down my bimini and have storm tarps for the flybridge now.

Good points - thank you for the response.

Yes, a thermostat control of some sort would be required. There are several ways to do that - one example is a thermostatic outlet with a remote sensor, although ideally you wouldn't want the mats heated unless there was snow in addition to just being cold. Maybe the best solution is a switch that could be triggered remotely when snow is forecast or turned on at the boat if someone is there.

Care would certainly be needed to assure any connections will survive the weather.

My concern would be the water run off after the snow melts. If it re-freezes as it drips off it may cause a real mess of potentially heavy/dangerous ice hanging off the side of your boat. No direct experience. I could see a potential "wall of ice" hanging off the sides.

Back
Top Bottom