Gorgeous Princess could be a deal!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Respectfully, I think you are wrong about folks buying boats for bragging rights, at least the folks on this forum. Folks have boats as they honestly seem to like and enjoy boating. One of the reasons that I really like this forum is it doesn't matter if you have a $5,000 or $5,000,000 boat, there are some great discussions! :thumb:

Jim

I think there are few people anywhere who buy boats for bragging rights. Lots of easier ways to brag. Now some don't get to use theirs much and some may get into a competition of some sort. I think this forum isn't about any specific type or price boat, but it's about boating, about using boats. It's about life on boats, whether 24/7/365 or for one day at a time.

Now I do think we all make a mistake when we think boating is for everyone and some people get into boating without really understanding how it is. That's why we try to tell newcomers who have never boated to try it out with friends or rental or charter and see if it's right for them.

We don't have a trawler, likely never will as we like more speed. However, other than speed, we boat "trawler style" in that we like to explore different places on the water, we like to cruise for extended periods, and right now we're really missing it although taking one day and two day trips to nowhere each weekend, and taking tomorrow off to spend on the water. We'll cruise 150-200 nm round trip tomorrow. We haven't even decided in which direction we'll go. But we'll be on the water enjoying life.

The first picture got me to thinking " that's a longggg, small shaft with just one strut supporting the whole thing".....

Final bid was A$412,000. Good luck to the winner!

Great result! Possibly more than you would get at present for Covid incubators par excellence: "Ruby Princess", Grand Princess",and one other whose name escapes me.

Volvos would scotch the deal for me. Every boat-owning friend I have that has owned a boat with Volvos has proclaimed he/she would never buy another boat with Volvos.

Yep, and I just had my own "experience" with a Volvo motor grader. Wow, never again I hope.

That boat sold for WAY more than it was wort, or at least WAY more than I would ever consider paying.

I suppose the chances are pretty slim that the new owner will become a member and let us know how the boat shakes out, but I would Love to know.

pete

In my humble opinion, the engineering and designs of pleasure boating are so dismal that it may very well be an industry on its way to oblivion.
When one considers the maintenability improvements, reductions of operating costs and purchase price of computers, cars, laundry machines, airplanes and compares them to those of pleasure boats you can see it.

There is a saying that the two happiest days in the life of a boat owner are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it. What the saying does not say is how many thousands of times greater is the hapiness of the selling day respect to the buying day.
Good advice: Stay out of boating. These days it will bankrupt you.

You know this is a 'boating' forum, right?

Are you saying modern boats are not engineered well, or all boats are not engineered well?

What is the point of comparing the cost of a boat to the cost of a computer or car? Are you suggesting that I could replace my boating experience with a 'laundry machine' or a 'computer' experience?

Help me understand what your point is.

That boat sold for WAY more than it was wort, or at least WAY more than I would ever consider paying.

I suppose the chances are pretty slim that the new owner will become a member and let us know how the boat shakes out, but I would Love to know.

pete

I've no idea who the buyer is. Maybe a bit of info on repairs etc will come to light over the next few months, and I too am curious enough to ask around when I am in the vicinity later in the year for a haulout.

In the last minute (literally) of the auction two people went at it, with each bid bumping the deadline clock out by a minute if there was less than 1 minute to go. So over a period of a few minutes while I was sipping a cup of coffee those two people took it from $363k, where it had sat for the last couple of days, to the final price, often with jumps of $5k or so at a time. Classic auction? Both thinking that 'just one more bid' will see off the other?

It could yet turn out to be a good deal, or it might end up a money pit. You 'pays your money and takes your chances'.

I've no idea who the buyer is. Maybe a bit of info on repairs etc will come to light over the next few months, and I too am curious enough to ask around when I am in the vicinity later in the year for a haulout.

In the last minute (literally) of the auction two people went at it, with each bid bumping the deadline clock out by a minute if there was less than 1 minute to go. So over a period of a few minutes while I was sipping a cup of coffee those two people took it from $363k, where it had sat for the last couple of days, to the final price, often with jumps of $5k or so at a time. Classic auction? Both thinking that 'just one more bid' will see off the other?

It could yet turn out to be a good deal, or it might end up a money pit. You 'pays your money and takes your chances'.

Probably the guy who DIDN'T win is currently laughing his ass off!:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom