Garmin Charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PennBruce

Vessel Name
Last Hurrah
Vessel Make
Ta Chiao/CT35 Sun Deck
I am confused about Garmin charts.

My chartplotter has BlueChart g3 Vision US coastal.

Garmin also sells subsets. US038R, New York-Chesapeake covers the area that I will be traveling. Does this map region provide greater detail then what is available in the BlueChrart g3 Vision US coastal that is on my chartplotter?

I am assuming that these regional charts come on a SD card. If I buy a region will it only be available on the chartplotter that has the SD card or will it be networked with my second chartplotter?

Thanks,

Bruce

Probably best to call Garmin. And then when you get the answer, tell us here too.

I tried emailing a similar question to Garmin customer service. No answer. Then got a survey request, asking me how good their service response was.

Haven't gotten around to calling...

When it comes to it, you can maybe do a download to your own SD card. See their "Garmin Express" app.

When I updated out MFD from the G2 to the G3 chart... I've had to leave the SD card in the slot. Not sure how that might impact networking.

-Chris

Last edited:
I have three Garmin displays and the charts are on a card in one of them. I can place the charts on any of the displays in any configuration on each. This is a function of the high speed network not NMEA2000.

I am confused about Garmin charts.

My chartplotter has BlueChart g3 Vision US coastal.

Garmin also sells subsets. US038R, New York-Chesapeake covers the area that I will be traveling. Does this map region provide greater detail then what is available in the BlueChrart g3 Vision US coastal that is on my chartplotter?

I am assuming that these regional charts come on a SD card. If I buy a region will it only be available on the chartplotter that has the SD card or will it be networked with my second chartplotter?

Bruce, I've learned a bit more. Your current coastal chart is perhaps either the "U.S. All and Western Canada Coastal Charts" or maybe the "built-in" version which apparently combines all that coastal charting with lake charting too. Either way, it's a G3 chart.

The USV038R chart is a G3 VISION chart, so some with what looks like two differences. One is the expanded coastal area -- way east, you may not need that -- and the other is the VISION thing.

You can see the "VISION" differences in the chart, here:
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/MarineChart-MapPurchase/

Our "built in" G3 charts were quite sufficient for coastal travel from Florida to the Chesapeake. We would never have been offshore far enough to need the expanded area.

FWIW, I've had overhead photography and 3D viewing in a Furuno system for years, hardly ever used those feature. YMMV.

-Chris

When I had a question about updating my Garmin charts, I went to West Marine and talked to the sales person. He wasn't sure so he called Garmin and asked them. He got the answer and I got my update.

Note: Not everyone at West Marine knows about stuff like this. Usually they will direct you to the right person. Also, the "smart" people usually work weekdays, the weekend staff may not be as well informed.

Thanks,

Bruce

Upon reading your post again, yes, a chart card inserted in one networked plotter will appear on the other plotter as well.

Back
Top Bottom