Exterior shading for windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why not use Pfifertex? It is $22 per yard at Sailrite. The snaps are cheap. So the kit for $200 isn’t a great deal. And Pfirertex is a known quality product. And that is for the Plus fabric. The regular is only $15 per yard 54” wide

The Plus is 90 pct sun reduction, the regular is 80 pct. I sell a ton of plus, the 80 is like bug screen on steroids

Suggest getting a fabric sample before committing. There are some really lightweight synthetic fabrics out there that you may not care for. BTW - their "Lifetime Warranty" considers UV degredation normal wear and tear and is excluded. I recently purchased a Coolaroo sail-shade for a patio that carries a 15-year warranty including UV so I do not consider the warranty on this product adequate, especially for a front windshield on a boat.

https://ezsnapdirect.com/support/performance-warranty/

Peter

If you are window tinting remember, folks man not be able to see inside during the day but at night and a light on, folks will be able to see inside.
Be decent and wear a shirt and short. LOL
Hint, dont ask me how I know.

If you are window tinting remember, folks man not be able to see inside during the day but at night and a light on, folks will be able to see inside.
Be decent and wear a shirt and short. LOL
Hint, dont ask me how I know.

We don’t care about the shirt, but the shorts are definitely appreciated…

We don’t care about the shirt, but the shorts are definitely appreciated…
Depends. Not all 80+ year olds are created equal. Martha Stewart is 81 and graces this months Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition.

Peter Screenshot_20230517_172752_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Thanks to everyone, Pfifertex is a pretty clear winner.

For what it is worth, we have recently retinted our windows with ceramic window tint and it did an amazing job with heat reduction

I'll just mention we did have external window coverings in the beginning... then later we made shades that mount and hang internally.
For a few years now, those external shades have been sitting in deep storage. If I had it to do over again, I never would have bothered getting external. The internal ones are much easier to use and they always stay clean and its easier of course to wash the exterior of the boat. Granted, part of the reason internal works better for us is the reverse rake front windshield. Agree about Phifertex; good product.

EZ Snap

I used it two boats ago on a 46 trawler. For the price I thought the product was very good, and easy to install. It looked professional for my purposes and it blocked the sun and heat well. But as I think someone mentioned, be mindful that during the day it blocks seeing into the boat, but at night it works the other way: when you have lights on inside everyone can see inside. So if privacy is your objective, it won't work at night for that purpose. I also wouldn't recommend it if you intend to remove it and fold it periodically. It is a little stiff and somewhat plastic in feel (kind of like thin eisenglass), and would not lend itself to removal and folding/rolling often, I don't think.

Last edited:
I had external shades and after losing one to high winds, I moved them to the inside. Ease of removal if necessary, underway.

I have Phifertex Plus shades on all my exterior windows with adhesive snads on the surfaces. They were custom made, but still not very expensive. Pretty quick and easy to install and remove. Would be hard to reach if on on the inside of the windshield.

Attachments

• 9F7AEA46.jpg
    9F7AEA46.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 15
  • FDBF3644.jpg
    FDBF3644.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
You cannot see naked people clearly inside 90 percent pfifertex at night. That's why I sell so much.

I have Phifertex Plus shades on all my exterior windows with adhesive snads on the surfaces. They were custom made, but still not very expensive. Pretty quick and easy to install and remove. Would be hard to reach if on on the inside of the windshield.

What’s an adhesive snad?

Snad is made to be the male snap. No holes to drill, doesn't burn or hurt feet because it's plastic.

I made external waterproof sunbralla shades in a track. The track is under the overhang of the upper deck. This keeps watwr off the windows and is the first line of defense from water intrusion. The bottom is snapped in place. When we want to open the windows we snap the lower portion of the shade to the rail. That lets airflow in, still keeps water out and allows us to see out but its hard to see in.

Attachments

• 20230430_153405.jpg
    20230430_153405.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230430_153401.jpg
    20230430_153401.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230430_153259.jpg
    20230430_153259.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 16
I made external waterproof sunbralla shades in a track. The track is under the overhang of the upper deck. This keeps watwr off the windows and is the first line of defense from water intrusion. The bottom is snapped in place. When we want to open the windows we snap the lower portion of the shade to the rail. That lets airflow in, still keeps water out and allows us to see out but its hard to see in.

Now that is an interesting concept. Are you satisfied with the results?

Actually we love it. It still provides shade and it makes the cabin seem bigger when inside. The Keter track is a neat way to hold them in place.

Last edited:

I did something similar in a previous boat. I used white Stamoid though since it is waterproof and the white let light into the boat.

The track is under the overhang of the upper deck. This keeps watwr off the windows and is the first line of defense from water intrusion.

+1

Some people don't understand that an effective way of keeping water out is through multiple barriers.

Another one is a coating on the glass. (RainX) A surfactant on the glass sheds water off of the glass. It isn't 100%. And does not have to be with multiple barriers.

Sounds like the perfect solution when tied to the dock or at anchor and you have walk around decks.

This is the window shade we found tucked away on our boat. When I found it in knew where it went do to shape but didn’t know how to hook it up until one day I noticed the rail just under the brow.

It works great and keeps the rain of the bow and forward cabin and allows airflow.

Attachments

• IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 10
I had considered the same solution for my AT34 as a sunshade for the fwd stateroom.
I have not opted for this solution after hearing the price. I cant do everything for the next owner.

Back
Top Bottom