Explaining to guests that a rub rail is exactly what it is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get a big kick out of watching a 140 pound girl or boy at the dock trying to manhandle my boat. Between the weight and inertia it just can't be done. Find a cleat and give it a wrap.

pete

When we are docking, I instruct everyone to sit down and be quiet until the wife and I are done docking. Also tell them if they THINK we need help, we do not. :)

The rule on my boat is guests are quarantined to the fly bridge during docking. Unless there is some crazy current or wind going on I do not ask people to help on shore as they will alway want to shove my teak handrail whose stanchions are screwed to a teak caprail.

I always brief the crew, usually my wife, on how I plan to dock and what I want them to do. If there are others aboard and I am comfortable with their boating experience then I may ask them to handle a line or fender. But if I don’t know their boating experience then I ask them to sit down and relax.

I get a big kick out of watching a 140 pound girl or boy at the dock trying to manhandle my boat. Between the weight and inertia it just can't be done. Find a cleat and give it a wrap.

pete

+1 :)

I'm 106,000 lbs with full tanks. Not even a 300lb weight lifter is doing much with that.

This discussion reminds me of a funny incident at Essex Island Marina a few years ago. Fierce wind, blustery day, wife on the mooring lines. Two dock boys (late teens) were helping us come in and called for my wife to throw them a line. You could tell because she was throwing into the wind, and maybe because she was a girl, they expected a weak throw and both held out their arms wide to grab whatever they could. Little did they know my wife was a Wisconsin farm girl who could toss hay bales and handle horses. She landed a neat coil of mooring line right in his chest. They both laughed, "good job ma'am." She doesn't change the oil filters but she can toss a line.

You might enjoy this guys work....docking expressions such as...'we're going to
'lean' lightly against this or that...

This discussion reminds me of a funny incident at Essex Island Marina a few years ago. Fierce wind, blustery day, wife on the mooring lines. Two dock boys (late teens) were helping us come in and called for my wife to throw them a line. You could tell because she was throwing into the wind, and maybe because she was a girl, they expected a weak throw and both held out their arms wide to grab whatever they could. Little did they know my wife was a Wisconsin farm girl who could toss hay bales and handle horses. She landed a neat coil of mooring line right in his chest. They both laughed, "good job ma'am." She doesn't change the oil filters but she can toss a line.

Nice. Before we went on the loop, my wife's first real cruise, I installed a full size cleat on the deck of our home so she could practice catching it from about 10' away and 5 feet up. She still cant lock it in from onboard yet but she can snag them like the Malboro Man.

Some years ago, the owner of 1/3 of an index finger circulated a pix of the balance of the finger in a cleat. Pretty gross picture.

Back
Top Bottom