Electrostrainer - any experience with them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting concept. Along the same lines, I had thought about a chemical injection pump adding small amounts of bleach periodically or when water flow was detected.

One of the things that caught my eye was the water flow ratings and "optimal water flow". I'm assuming that optimal flow indicates the point where the system generates enough chlorine. My boat utilizes a sea chest type system where all raw water flows through a 2" strainer. This system would require a larger strainer to handle my flow rates. Something to consider.

Ted

Would bleach corrode the aluminum in AC systems? Or maybe the RW water circuit isn’t aluminum.

I use a Stenner pump to dose bleach into my pool at various times through the day using the built in timer, but maybe it could be hooked up to a water movement sensor instead?

I have separate through-hulls for everything, not a sea chest situation.

My main interest for this would be on the AC system and possibly a refrigerator that uses raw water for cooling.

I'd like to know if anyone's actually made use of one of these systems in their boat.

Would bleach corrode the aluminum in AC systems? Or maybe the RW water circuit isn’t aluminum.

I use a Stenner pump to dose bleach into my pool at various times through the day using the built in timer, but maybe it could be hooked up to a water movement sensor instead?

I think most of the heat exchangers in AC units are a copper alloy.

For my cruising and winter in Florida, I found it easier to periodically close the main seacock for a week or more and let the system go anaerobic.

Ted

From what little I've seen online the system does have some sort of feedback piping, which I gather helps monitor the flow and concentration.

Attachments

• Cooling-System-GIF-2[1].jpg
    Cooling-System-GIF-2[1].jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 24
I've seen a few comments from james knight of only nordhavn, who seems to be a fan for his customers who run ac in marinas for extended periods of time.

I would imagine if the chlorine levels are high enough to retard marine growth, they are probably incompatible with AL. The marketing info on the web site indicated compatible with marine metals, and then give a list, noticeably absent of AL.

A comment from my boat guy says they're popular in Florida, but are dependent on there being enough salinity in the water for device to function. He commented that "the probes" for generating the chlorine can "burn up" if the water isn't salty enough. Where we boat regularly on the Bay may not be. He's checking into it further.

I have no idea what the salinity percentage needs to be. But where we are is certainly nowhere near the levels found in the ocean.

NOAA tracks this and for the Chesapeake:
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/o...on=cb&subdomain=0&model_type=salinity_nowcast

Compared to Tampa:
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/o...on=tb&subdomain=0&model_type=salinity_nowcast

The Electrostrainer device is a combination of a normal strainer and the Electrosea Clearline chlorinator system which was the company's original product. They've also started offering their own line of pumps so they can sell the whole package.

I have had an original Clearline system for the past 2.5 years and it has worked great. I never have to flush or descale my system now. Since the chlorinated water is only on the exit side of the strainer, the return line brings some chlorinated water back to the body of the strainer helping to keep it clean. The original Clearline system adds the chlorinator to the system after the pump as a separate device that looks a lot like another strainer. The return line in my system keeps my strainer and all the lines up to the chlorinator clean.

Both systems sense the level of salinity in the water and will shut off the chlorinator if it's too low (pump still functions normally). I have only encountered this once and we've been in a lot of brackish water so it has to be very low salinity for it not to function. They described the level of induced chlorination to be similar to what's in most public water systems.

According to the MFG it requires salinity of 20ppt or greater to operate properly

Back
Top Bottom