Do it my way, or no way at all attitudes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
transactional analysis ............

Some have changed that first impression, while others work hard to maintain it.
During talk on the dock I have not found any of the keyboard commandos on forums.

A dock isn't any better than a keyboard, try talking to people offshore that at least have some experience beyond docks and keyboards.

transactional analysis ............

Some have changed that first impression, while others work hard to maintain it.
During talk on the dock I have not found any of the keyboard commandos on forums.

Hoo boy, you're lucky then. I run into them all the time :D

Whether talking about DISC or Myers Briggs (MBTI) or the later (though ancient, really) Keirsey, one can be enveloped by one's natural tendencies, or one can make effort to adjust them in the moment based on the person(s) they are trying to communicate with. I try :blush:

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread indeed. I recently published a book about living aboard your boat and in doing my due diligrence, I interviewed over sa thousand liveaboards. You can only imagine the amput of variance on every single topic. It could be how they dock their boat, maintenance, safety and first aid, you name it. We all have opinions, plus we all have the commonality that e enj0y being on and arund the water.

What I usually do is filter out what is being stated and if I am asked fpr my opinion, then I say how I do it. It simplifies my life greatly

This is an interesting thread indeed. I recently published a book about living aboard your boat and in doing my due diligrence, I interviewed over sa thousand liveaboards. You can only imagine the amput of variance on every single topic. It could be how they dock their boat, maintenance, safety and first aid, you name it. We all have opinions, plus we all have the commonality that e enj0y being on and arund the water.

What I usually do is filter out what is being stated and if I am asked fpr my opinion, then I say how I do it. It simplifies my life greatly

So you'll be busy on here, every thread is someone asking for your opinion.

Hoo boy, you're lucky then. I run into them all the time :D

Whether talking about DISC or Myers Briggs (MBTI) or the later (though ancient, really) Keirsey, one can be enveloped by one's natural tendencies, or one can make effort to adjust them in the moment based on the person(s) they are trying to communicate with. I try :blush:

Agreed. But one should know that there are other personality preferences and that people may very well have different natural tendencies.

The take away here is that not everyone thinks the same and the barriers are real.

So if I see huge flames shooting out of the windows of someone's boat and in my opinion the boats on fire I should just keep my opinion to myself?

Sometimes, someone can be one hundred per cent sure that they have all the facts from what they are seeing when they really don't, though.

Tragic examples abound.

There's more than one right way. More than one wrong way. More than one way that works. And, more than a highly variable %age number of correctness for any result attained of any way chosen to proceed.

Which means: For every circumstance we all have a myriad of opportunities to accomplish what is desired and/or needed to be accomplished.

So: Asking any person where, what, why or how to do something is like pulling straws out of a hat with up to hundreds of straws in it for answers to each question.

Therefore: We all must take each answer with a grain of salt and weed out the wheat from the chaff, in order to best be able to ascertain the best overall combination of answers we receive that will best help us make our own decision as to correct avenue to traverse for our own "correct" answer/application to accomplish item at hand.

Life ain't simple. Neither are we! And, boats [i.e. marine life] is one of the most complicated life-style availabilities of all.

It's not just boating. I commented on a video where a young lady was sitting the cylinder head on a V-8 engine. As a long time automotive tech, I shared a little trick of using two rocker arms on the studs as handles to easier handle the head. Next thing I know guys are calling me a hack and a shade-tree wannabe mechanic, etc. The funny part is, 30+ yrs of experience and learning said trick from a GM field engineer made no difference to these guys. One guy even went as far as telling me I would bend the rocker studs or pull the threads out of the head lifting this small block Chevrolet head. ???

It's not just boating. I commented on a video where a young lady was sitting the cylinder head on a V-8 engine. As a long time automotive tech, I shared a little trick of using two rocker arms on the studs as handles to easier handle the head. Next thing I know guys are calling me a hack and a shade-tree wannabe mechanic, etc. The funny part is, 30+ yrs of experience and learning said trick from a GM field engineer made no difference to these guys. One guy even went as far as telling me I would bend the rocker studs or pull the threads out of the head lifting this small block Chevrolet head. ???

That's a good trick! I've always done the fingers in the intake ports.

Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt

"Sometimes, someone can be one hundred per cent sure that they have all the facts from what they are seeing when they really don't, though.

Tragic examples abound"

The Challenger debacle comes to mind.

One of my lifelong bywords has been "there is more than one way to skin a cat".

I'll take up new ideas, sometimes. NOBODY need feel compelled to take up mine.

I'll take up new ideas, sometimes. NOBODY need feel compelled to take up mine.

I believe that's the prevailing attitude of most on here, the trouble starts when the nitpicking begins or someone wants to debate a nuance that in the big picture is meaningless, like I'm doing right now.

To each their own and to own their each.

I'll do my thing and you do yours.

I'll watch/listen to you... you are invited to do same with me.

Never the twain shall meet that might create interference to one another... but rather can meet for seeing/developing intelligent ways to each improve one's own ways.

Back
Top Bottom