Diesel Fuel Delivery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FIRE

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Change
I recently watched a YouTuber (Aboard Mermaid Monster) take 1000+ gallons from a fuel delivery truck while they were in Maine at $1.65 or so per gallon. Anyone with experience doing this? AT that price why doesn't everyone do this? Anything to watch out for?

I recently watched a YouTuber (Aboard Mermaid Monster) take 1000+ gallons from a fuel delivery truck while they were in Maine at $1.65 or so per gallon. Anyone with experience doing this? AT that price why doesn't everyone do this? Anything to watch out for?

It a combination of price, access to a pier where both the boat and truck can get close, and minimum purchases.

I always had delivery to the boat when it was behind my house.
I called and they came and left a bill in the mailbox. A great service.

We've done it several times. Twistedtree enumerated most of the potential issues. Some marinas without fuel docks will allow them, but may charge a fee and/or only allow certain companies to come in. Best bet is to start by phoning the fuel companies, and if you are at a marina, checking with them. Some companies have trucks with long hoses that can reach more distant boats, others not as their main customers are fleet operations and gas/diesel stations. Get clear on what the payment options are.

Make sure you are getting off-road diesel, it is the same, but taxed at a lower rate. I always tipped the driver 10 or 20 bucks depending on how much fuel was taken on (usually about 800 gallons in our case) especially when they had to schlep the hose a long ways.

I watched the same video and thought, "Damn, I can bump my fuel budget down 40% if that is true". I guess if you run it down to close to empty and fill it up you can save some serious cabbage.

We bought marine diesel off the truck in Ft Lauderdale, they didn’t charge any state taxes since we were going straight to the Bahamas. There is also a fuel barge there that you can pull up to for the same low prices if your marina doesn’t allow outside fuel vendors.

You’re often required to take on a minimum of gallons, set by the seller, so make sure you’re able to load over that.
Most fuel deliveries will require a commercial account as well, they are mostly wholesalers, at least in my area.

I've gotten fuel by truck in the Fla Keys several times. Private canal property, easy to reach with the hose, good price, good service.

Here in SE NC home base, the delivery companies are picky picky and I have had trouble lining them up. Even though it is private land and maybe 65' from truck to boat. But I have seen trucks fueling boats elsewhere.

Around here, marinas, whether they sell fuel or not, generally will not let the trucks fuel boats on their docks.

If your in Pinellas County (st Pete) area, Jet Age fuel will deliver. They have about 150-200 feet of hose. I don't know their current pricing but normally very attractive.

That's the only way we do it on the commercial boats I run/ran. Usually more than 500 gallons at a time, and delivered to our own private docks. One time I actually saw the driver climb up on top of the truck and pour the red dye in before pumping out our fuel. Must have been the only off road delivery he had that day.

used to get between 100 and 300 gallons behind the house in NJ.

I agree that they might add the red dye there or just before they show up depending on all deliveries.

That's how I buy fuel in Stuart, FL. Dockside Fuel services, Steve Ellis. He pulls into the drive way of the boatyard where I keep the boat and pulls the hose to the boat. It's at least 200'. I think the minimum is 100 gallons, I filled up week before last and combined with the transient guy in the slip next to me in a GB 47. I took 168 gallons, not sure how much he took, but Steve gave us a little break. It was $1.90 a gallon, taxes and delivery fee included.

It's nice to jump on the full boat and go, now worries about stopping at a marina.

Or u can just pull up to New River Marina & RV park in N C just S. of Camp LeJeune on AICW. $1.58/ gal- your choice of 15 gal/min hose or regular speed! Lots of other choices on the waterway for <$1.80/gal.

Local fuel delivery is great , but it depends on the delivery service. Tank compartments.

If they mostly deliver home heating oil , that might be what you get.

The folks that deliver diesel are fine as the heating oil folks get diesel which burns fine.

Home heating oil burns fine in a diesel, but it must be run thru a good filter bank.

If the cetane is too low and the engine is noisy there are cetane boosters.

Last edited:
When and where I used to do it a few years back..you had to be careful of pricing.

Home delivery prices varied a lot with seasons and might change more quickly than marinas.

In the spring when home heating oil was in demand and marinas were charging last years prices, home delivery was cheaper. In the fall, the home delivery would jump above the local marinas.

Have used Anchor Petroleum a number of times in Lauderdale. They'll come to the fuel dock at New River, it needs to be coordinated with the dockmaster and Anchor, but it's EZPZ, price is worth the effort. Best to try to schedule for slack current. They'll come to any spot they're allowed, very accommodating.

In California, that practice is basically illegal. There are plenty of sellers that routinely deliver to above and below ground fuel storage tanks used for backup generators, etc., but they cannot dispense to a floating boat.

I recall that if your boat has a certain tankage then you'll need to deploy floating booms around your perimeter. However, I believe it was about 10,000 gallons capacity, so not an issue for most here.

Local fuel delivery is great , but it depends on the delivery service. Tank compartments.

If they mostly deliver home heating oil , that might be what you get.

The folks that deliver diesel are fine as the heating oil folks get diesel which burns fine.

Home heating oil burns fine in a diesel, but it must be run thru a good filter bank.

If the cetane is too low and the engine is noisy there are cetane boosters.

I talked with the mgr of our fuel depot, he said all his #2 diesel and home heating oil came from the same source and was stored in the same tank. So at least for us, no difference in fuel quality. Only difference was the tax dye that was added depending on where the load was headed.

Might be different in other areas.

I talked with the mgr of our fuel depot, he said all his #2 diesel and home heating oil came from the same source and was stored in the same tank. So at least for us, no difference in fuel quality. Only difference was the tax dye that was added depending on where the load was headed.

Might be different in other areas.

Same in Jersey where I was near Cape May.

In California, that practice is basically illegal. There are plenty of sellers that routinely deliver to above and below ground fuel storage tanks used for backup generators, etc., but they cannot dispense to a floating boat.

Why does that not surprise me for California?

We used to get fuel at the public dock on Sand Island, Oahu. As long as I coordinated in advance, and took over 400 gallons. I also got a really decent price break! Boat held 570 gallons, so 400 was fine. Well worth the $0.60 to $0.77 discount over the normal price.:D

Most commercial fuel docks in port cities are run by the same company that runs the fuel trucks. Prices are based on amount of fuel taken and usually cheaper than having a truck come to a dock. Also bunkering vessels that refuel ships will let large users refuel from their vessels with advance arrangements. They mostly carry MDO, a heavy diesel, but also have tanks of #2 diesel. I've fueled from a bunkering barge while they were fueling a ship, but have a commercial account.
Places that tugs and large commercial boats fuel usually have volume discounts. Saint Helens Marina on the Columbia River has a 500 gallon discount and a discount for cash and (I think) debit cards, but I don't remember the details. Also very large volume discounts.

Last week I bought 315 gal of diesel from a truck that comes to a local marina by appointment. The cost was $1.95/gal all taxes included. Quite the bargain in this area. Of that $1.95 the marina gets $0.05/gallon.

We used to coordinate with our marina neighbors to meet minimum delivery quantities and quantity discounts. The sail boaters with tiny tanks really appreciated us giving them the heads up when we ordered fuel from the trucks so that they could piggy back on our delivery.

For marina owners, it may not make sense to own the fuel tanks and pumps and staffers. Might be better off calling the truck and getting a little cut on the sales.

Gate Fuel Services are in most areas on the east coast and will deliver to the boat if you meet the min delivery volume.

Port Consolidated also has marine fuel delivery in Florida.

Last edited:
Many moons ago I used to deliver fuel between bulk and home/farm/boat deliveries with different trucks wherever we were busiest.
Agricultural/home heating/generator diesel fuels are referred to (in Ireland) as gas oil 35 seconds, another type is Paraffin which is referred to as 28 seconds fuel, be precise when you order to get the correct type.
It also helps the delivery driver if you can tell him the distance from where he can park his truck from your boat and size of you intake fitting, he will then bring along a 'drop in' ie a piece of steel pipe that he can screw on the end of his hose and 'drop in' to your filler.
Home delivery trucks have a long hose reel permanently fixed to the truck for that type of delivery.
A cup of coffee and an offer to wash his hands/use the toilet are always welcome as is a few dollars tip.
These guys all talk together and a little kindness can travel far.

Agricultural/home heating/generator diesel fuels are referred to (in Ireland) as gas oil 35 seconds, another type is Paraffin which is referred to as 28 seconds fuel, be precise when you order to get the correct type.

In US or Canada don’t order the paraffin, it will come in a box, sold by the pound or kilogram, not the gallon. Your Diesel engine won’t like it! [emoji1]

I asked that same question yesterday. A very large whale watching boat/ship was taking on fuel at the rather small fuel dock at Cap Sante Marina, Anacortes WA. The answer I got was the the Marina wouldn’t allow it and that they would have to deploy a floating boom, etc.

Back
Top Bottom