Detroit Diesel 71 series engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The boat now MV LOST in ASIA is also surprisingly good on fuel - we use only 23 Ltrs an hour at 1600RPM = 9.2Knots in our 75' x 110 Tonne full displacement motor yacht.
Larry liked to fuel up and go so she had over 11,000 gallon capacity when I bought her = 13,000NM range at 9knots.

I would love to see pictures!

http://utahrails.net/pdf/EMD_567_History_and_Development_1951.pdf

Interesting read about how the two stroke diesel was developed. Written by Charles Kettering who was a young engr when GM bought Winton. Winton was working hard to develop two stroke locomotive engines. Might not have succeeded had not GM come in with their R&D resources. The little DD engines came out of this project. Also the Cleveland two strokes that powered our fleet submarines. And the EMD loco engines which many are still in service today.

Quite a successful project.

Edit: Author and engr was Eugene Kettering, Charles' son!! Charles invented the electric starter motor and founded Delco. My boat has a Delco starter!!

Last edited:
I've got a pair of 12V71's in a 65 ft, ex California Fish and Game, Run her up the west coast from Moss Landing to Port Angles, 12 gal hour for 80 hours. used 1/2 gal oil starboard engine. the engines got thousands of hours with air start, rebuilt in 1989 nothing major scene. Just regular maintenance, would like to replace but unless i can get a pair of Gardner's 6XLB's or 8XLB's doesn't make scene. nothing here in north America that will preform as well !
Quote of the day, the longer you listen to Detroit Diesel the quieter they get!

Last edited:
Great thread you started, Lou! Interesting read. Led me to read about Rudolph, as well. His initial concept was to run his engines on veg oil and be a boon to agriculture. Unintended consequences. Good ones, for a change.

http://utahrails.net/pdf/EMD_567_History_and_Development_1951.pdf

Interesting read about how the two stroke diesel was developed. Written by Charles Kettering who was a young engr when GM bought Winton. Winton was working hard to develop two stroke locomotive engines. Might not have succeeded had not GM come in with their R&D resources. The little DD engines came out of this project. Also the Cleveland two strokes that powered our fleet submarines. And the EMD loco engines which many are still in service today.

Quite a successful project.

Edit: Author and engr was Eugene Kettering, Charles' son!! Charles invented the electric starter motor and founded Delco. My boat has a Delco starter!!
Very interesting paper, thank you Ski!

L

Back
Top Bottom