Old 12-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #21
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
For me, the term Trawler is more of a lifestyle description than a description of the boat; slow, fuel efficient, comfortable riding, roomy, self sufficient cruising.
I think similarly to this. To me, when someone says "Trawler", I think of a boat that's built to be comfortable for extended time aboard, prioritizes comfort and practicality over weight savings, is built to run slowly and efficiently most of the time even if it can go faster, etc.

By my own definition, my boat is not a trawler. It's got similar usable space to a lot of similar size trawlers, but the helm arrangement isn't quite ideal for all-weather running (although it's doable), it's significantly lighter than most similarly sized trawlers (and with some sacrifices as a result), and as much as it does just fine running slowly, the hull design is very much intended to get up and run on plane most of the time. And because of that last point, in a following sea you're pretty much forced to power your way into good handling, as it becomes a mess if you get too slow (small rudders, square transom, not a lot of keel).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Nick View Post
I have a good friend (sailor) who likes to call my Albin-25 a "Mini-Trawler. As she was built in Sweden 45 years ago, predating the current term for recreational "trawlers", I tell him she's really a Scandinavian-style Motor Cruiser.
I had an A25 for 6 years before the Willard purchase. I named her “Trawlerette”. Kind-of a way of saying “small trawler”. I lived to regret that name for several reasons.
Not a “motor cruiser” unless she’s actually powered by an electric motor.

Trawler;
An extra heavy pleasure craft with a hull designed for slow speed.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #23

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
As far as electric motors are concerned, I submit that the term "Motor Vessel" and it's abbreviation "MV" is way more popular than the term "Engine Vessel" in reference to power boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I had an A25 for 6 years before the Willard purchase. I named her “Trawlerette”. Kind-of a way of saying “small trawler”. I lived to regret that name for several reasons.
Not a “motor cruiser” unless she’s actually powered by an electric motor.

Trawler;
An extra heavy pleasure craft with a hull designed for slow speed.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #24
Guru

I should add, but the edit bar is already gone.

That there conceivably be a trawler w OB power. Unable to plane of course as it would be too heavy or over powered for it’s displacement. Power is not a significant trawler but I’m sure there are gas trawlers out there. Probably auite a few older boats like about 1950 Ed Monk boats .. mostly bridgedeck cruisers. Speaking of cruisers that’s what trawlers were called in the 50’s ... Heavy Cruisers. That’s what they really are and in a two word definition heavy cruiser nails it. But in this confused day it’s very vogue to toss out words and substitute new one’s like “absolutely” for “yes”. Yes is so much more efficient but people need to feel like they are cool and the vogue substitutes get them that.

One thing in favor of “trawler” is that it’s a real name. I think. Whereas heavy cruiser serves only to amplify or modify the word cruiser. And also heavy cruiser is two words. I assume that’s a negative.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Nick View Post
As far as electric motors are concerned, I submit that the term "Motor Vessel" and it's abbreviation "MV" is way more popular than the term "Engine Vessel" in reference to power boats.
Yes that’s very true but then we tend to substitute “motor” when we really should be using “engine”. If you were posting about your engine in your boat using the word motor would be not so good english. It would just be the wrong word.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
We [currently] have:

34', 1977 - Tollycraft tri cabin "Pleasure Cruiser Boat" ... with twin screw inboards
19', 1988 - Bluewater cuddy cabin "Ski Boat" ... with single inboard/outboard
15', 1975 - Crestliner "Runabout" ... with Johnson outboard

Trawler schmaller! Notice, in our opinion, we have no trawler... even though many persons like to term our 34' Tolly as a Trawler.

The only true "Trawler" is a working boat for the means of collecting [trawling for] seafood for human consumption.

That said: Advertising guru's decades ago realized that by affixing the word "Trawler" onto pleasure boat promotions they could create a mystique of sea-romance into the general public's minds! The word "Trawler" worked well to increase sales! Now a days nearly every type of medium to large sized "Pleasure Cruiser Boat", that has engines for its main power source, is too often called a "Trawler".

!!!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #27
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post

I once owned a Uniflite 42 ACMY. For all practical purposes, there was little difference between it and a GB42. Both carried 300hp engines and approx 500g diesel. GB has a finer and higher bow, but that's about it. For marketing purposes, one is a trawler, the other is motoryacht.
Just FYI, Grand Banks has never marketed their boats as trawlers. They marketed them as "Dependable Diesel Cruisers" for most of their history. They are now calling them "Luxury Performance Yachts".....strangely looking more and more like sportfishing yachts(but with covered cockpits). But for some reason in almost all of our heads, GB is what pops up in our mind's eye when "trawler" is mentioned.

The one company I know that definitely took advantage of the term is Mainship. It is right there on the side of the boat. "Mainship Trawlers". I had a Mainship Pilot that is NOT a trawler but there it was....plastered on the side of my boat.

To the OP...a trawler is a fishing boat. And more specifically down here on the gulf coast, it is a shrimp boat. If you hear a tow boat captain or any other larger commercial vessel use the word "trawler" on the radio, down here they are referring to a shrimp boat. With all of that said, your further clarification of your question leads me to many questions...as in what are you looking for??? I could(and should) write a book on the subject. My point being, the answer to your clarified question is a very long one. I just bought my fourth power boat(and still own my third...eeeek). And the only one that comes close is the first one(the Prairie)....even though the Mainship had "Trawler" written on the side. All of my Powerboats have gotten bigger and faster. I reckon I will slow down at some point.... . BUT I enjoy being "out there" just as much as the people that are going slower....maybe even more...
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #28
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
IMO, you can call your boat design a "fred" for all I care.
My 34ft American Tug is often referred to as a fast trawler.
I call it, 'needs a bigger hanging closet'.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #29
Guru

Weebles wrote;
“I once owned a Uniflite 42 ACMY. For all practical purposes, there was little difference between it and a GB42. Both carried 300hp engines and approx 500g diesel. GB has a finer and higher bow, but that's about it. For marketing purposes, one is a trawler, the other is motoryacht.”

There is a profound difference. In a sentence the GB is a SD hull (clearly so) and the Uniflite is a planing hull also clearly so. And beyond the weight that’s the most identifying feature of these designs. Being a planing hull the U42 is not a trawler. A big planing hull run slowly does not make a trawler.

One could say one is a cruiser and one a heavy cruiser.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #30
Guru

The Grand Banks is a beautiful, capable boat but, the only way I would own one is if there were no exterior teak and no teak decks.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #31
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I've used this definition before somewhere on T.F. but I think it is fairly accurate, let me see if I can remember it..

When I tell non boating friends that I have a "trawler", they think shrimp boat or seiner, although they don't know what either of these are. If I show them a picture the general response is "Oh, a yacht" ( I cringe at that word)

I think they get a general idea with a very simple definition. " A trawler is heavy, slow and economical". If they are still with me I can add. "heavy in the bow, pretty stable and roomy, and it has a pretty substantial keel".

F.D and Semi D., single, double engine, plaining, relative speed and relative economy all actually play a part but like anchors, can be debated ad nauseum.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #32
Guru

City: gulf coast
The term trawler is as accurate description of a pleasure vessel as the term tug.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #33
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
The term trawler is as accurate description of a pleasure vessel as the term tug.
Well Put!!
Old 12-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #34

City: Snohomish
Vessel Name: Toki
Vessel Model: Ranger 27
Quote:
Hey now, I frequently push gravel barges up the sound with my tug!
Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Although when someone says tug in a pleasure boat context, the mental image that appears (at least for me) does pretty accurately describe a certain type of boat (smaller Nordic Tugs, ATs, etc.)
Old 12-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #36
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
There is a profound difference. In a sentence the GB is a SD hull (clearly so) and the Uniflite is a planing hull also clearly so. And beyond the weight that’s the most identifying feature of these designs. Being a planing hull the U42 is not a trawler.
For the life of me, I can't remember what the hull of the Unflite looked like even though I did the bottom myself - twice. So I googled. Below is a pic of Uniflite 42 and a GB 42. GB has a small center keel, but dead-rise and trim tabs are more or less identical to the Uniflite.

From Dave Pascoe's review: "Dubbed a Trawler Yacht, it does not have a trawler hull. People often call it a semi-displacement or semi-planing hull, but neither of these are correct. The fact is that the Grand Banks hull is a planing hull as witness her top speed of about 18 knots with turbo charged engines."

I'm not saying one is better, worse, or otherwise. But labels are misleading. People chose their boat based on a number of factors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hull Uniflite vs GB.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	97659
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #37
Guru

I think the GB counts as semi-displacement or semi-planing for 2 reasons: Fine bow entry doesn't provide much lift up forward and the decent size keel adds a good bit of drag. So it'll plane, just not as fast or efficiently or nicely as a good planing hull design.

Interestingly, my planing hull (which will do 27 kts wide open, supposedly 28 out of the box at unknown weight) has a keel similar to the Grand Banks, but about half as tall. The GB 49 sitting next to me on land right now has keel well below the props, while mine ends a few inches above the lowest point on the props. I've got a much more full bow, however, so I get a lot more lift up forward and will go over waves more than through them. Both boats have relatively massive trim tabs.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #38

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
By what authority is the word "motor" only supposed to be concerned with electric motors, and the word "engine" used in reference to gasoline, and Diesel reciprocating engines, and also for turbine engines?

"Motor" has been associated with "outboard motors" and "Motor Boats" for generations.

A friend (outside my boating interests) recently called attention to this same motor/engine thing and I did not understand where it comes from.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Interestingly, my planing hull (which will do 27 kts wide open, supposedly 28 out of the box at unknown weight
Generally speaking, sea trials are conducted with 1/2 fuel load and 1/2 water load. NOTHING else. Not very real world is it.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #40
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Generally speaking, sea trials are conducted with 1/2 fuel load and 1/2 water load. NOTHING else. Not very real world is it.
About as real a world as when promo experts began calling pleasure boats "Trawlers"!

Tags
economical, hull lines, trawler purchase