Old 06-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Madiera Park, BC
Vessel Name: LaVida
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks MY 48.5'
Cutlass Bearing Specs - 1973 Grand Banks MY

I am about to haul out and replace the cutlass bearings on my 48.5 Foot wooden Grandbanks. As far as I know the shafts, bearings and struts are all orginal vintage. I cannot find any documentation or info in history logs from former owners on the specs. Only know twin ford lehman 120s send power to the shafts which are 1 3/8" diameter.

Any help on the specs, O.D. length, material would be very helpful

Plus

Any help on where to order?

Pics from last haul out coming -a soon as I figure how to insert them.

Captain B
La Vida
lavida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
These are commonly available, most chandlers should be able to give you the tables to choose from. There is a firm in Vancouver that specializes in shafts and cutlass bearings and I cannot remember their name(!). Call Stone's Marina in Nanaimo and ask them where the cutlasses come from and they will give you the company name. This (elusive) company is the go-to for the coast and they supply all the commercial vessels.

How do you know you need new bearings? Noise? Heat? Odd vibrations? Do you have the original bronze shafts? If you have the bronze shafts, you may be very unlucky and may find them scored which means replacement with stainless. Do you have dripless seals or stuffing boxes? Do the stuffing boxes leak?

Is this Bruno??
Old 06-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
These are commonly available, most chandlers should be able to give you the tables to choose from. There is a firm in Vancouver that specializes in shafts and cutlass bearings and I cannot remember their name(!). Call Stone's Marina in Nanaimo and ask them where the cutlasses come from and they will give you the company name. This (elusive) company is the go-to for the coast and they supply all the commercial vessels.

How do you know you need new bearings? Noise? Heat? Odd vibrations? Do you have the original bronze shafts? If you have the bronze shafts, you may be very unlucky and may find them scored which means replacement with stainless. Do you have dripless seals or stuffing boxes? Do the stuffing boxes leak?

Is this Bruno??
Try V.M.Dafoe in Vancouver
Old 06-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
That's them! Thanks Keith!
Old 06-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Madiera Park, BC
Vessel Name: LaVida
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks MY 48.5'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post

Is this Bruno??
It is Bruno! Port shaft cutlass bearing checked last year haul out had too much play with excessive vibration during last summer cruise. The shafts are stainless with dripless 'Magnetic' stuffing box. I will be hauling out at Stones later this month. Will check with V.M.Dafoe on cutlass bearing parts. Thank you!
lavida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutlass bearings, grand banks, haulout, struts