Old 09-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #1

City: Surrey
Custom mattress

Hi Everyone,

We are new here and in the process of purchasing our dream.
We were wondering where to look to purchase a new custom mattress.

You help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Admiral F
Naz Daria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. We have bought a memory foam mattress from Amazon fo our last several boats and have been very happy with them. We just cut it to fit with an electric knife and then make sheets to fit.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:17 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Since all my boats used either Queen or King sizes, I have just bought Sleep Number beds. Real mattresses wont work in my application as they won't fit down the stairs. A sleep number bed comes in several parts and can fit through any companion way that a person can fit through.

Now if you have a custom shaped bed, you may or may not be able to use a sleep number bed.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:19 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
This outfit used to do a good job of custom mattresses for boats:

https://foamshop.com/custom-services/rv-and-boat/

Close to you too!
Old 09-29-2021, 07:35 PM   #5

City: Richmond, BC
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
I bought Handcraft Custom Mattresses to replace the old mattresses in my boat. I am really happy with them.

https://www.boatbeds.com/

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #6
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
We have a $2200 Latex mattress at home and memory foam over plywood on the boat. We will take the memory foam any day….or night
Old 09-29-2021, 08:42 PM   #7

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Knot Hours
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
Second vote for Amazon purchase of a memory foam piece and cut to size. Works perfect and waaaaay cheaper than a custom mattress.
Juliet 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:42 PM   #8
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Welcome aboard. We have bought a memory foam mattress from Amazon fo our last several boats and have been very happy with them. We just cut it to fit with an electric knife and then make sheets to fit.
+1

Rob
Old 09-29-2021, 08:56 PM   #9

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
Definitely memory foam. Cut to shape as described above. It is also far best to get it into the stateroom before opening it, which is very simple since it comes in a box. Once out of the box, it expands to "mattress size" and therefore more difficult to move through small companionways. There are many high quality memory foam mattresses now. I cannot imagine buying a traditional mattress again for either home or boat.
AZ2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:31 AM   #10
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz Daria View Post
We were wondering where to look to purchase a new custom mattress.

If you can find maker's labels on the original mattress, you may be finding at least one supplier who already has the patterns for your boat. And/or the boat builder, if still around, may be able to tell you OEM info. (That same approach works for other stuff your be repairing or replacing along the way, too.)

Then if they're still in business, they may also offer options - material, thickness, layers, hinges, bedding, etc.

Otherwise, Handcraft Mattress Co. has a good rep. Higher level models not inexpensive, but then you probably get what you pay for.

-Chris
Old 09-30-2021, 06:31 AM   #11
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2Loop View Post
Definitely memory foam. Cut to shape as described above. It is also far best to get it into the stateroom before opening it, which is very simple since it comes in a box. Once out of the box, it expands to "mattress size" and therefore more difficult to move through small companionways. There are many high quality memory foam mattresses now. I cannot imagine buying a traditional mattress again for either home or boat.
It's all personal but I would not choose an ill-fitting mattress that requires crude hacking to get it to fit. Not when there are a number of manufacturers that can craft a custom-dimensioned foam mattress with a sewn cover just like any store-bought standard-sized mattress. We got our near queen-sized mattress in a box for $600. It's been six years now, full-time aboard, and it remains the most comfortable mattress we have ever had. Sure, you will spend spend less money on the hack-jobs. Not on my boat but I do understand that my priorities are different than others.

Which reminds me, we are selling our boat. I need to add our custom-made foam mattress to the list of its features. If I were buying a boat and found it to have a hacked-up foam mattress, I would wonder about where the owner may have cut other corners.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:36 AM   #12
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Which reminds me, we are selling our boat.

Huh?

-Chris
Old 09-30-2021, 07:04 AM   #13
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Huh?

-Chris
By choice, not necessity. After living aboard full-time for nearly six years, we decided we wanted to have a dirt house again. We are building one in Delaware. It should be ready arond 3/1/2022. When we calculated the cost of just keeping the boat berthed and the opportunity cost of keeping $200,000, maybe more, tied up in a non-appreciating/depreciating asset, it comes to about $30,000/year. We can afford the out-of-pocket expenses but we decided to spend the boat bucks eleswhere. We will be travelling, primarily to Europe, six-to-eight weeks a year.

It will be difficult leaving her. I have put a ton of sweat equity and more than a bit of money improving her. Someone is going to get a terrific boat ready for cruising on the first day of ownership.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:08 AM   #14

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Star Weird
Vessel Model: Camargue
We bought one of these mattresses Aug. last year. Comes vacuum shrunk so getting it on the boat would be super easy if you have tight places. At the time, it was only $206 but w/ over 50K 4.5 star reviews decided to try it out. Our mattresses at the time were original and MAYBE 4" of padding left at it's thickest...
This mattress is AMAZING!!! I would put it up against out $2K mattress at home. In fact, when it is time to replace that, we will 1000% be getting one of these.
After 2 weeks in the San Juans sleeping on it every night, I ordered a 2nd one for the guest stateroom.
We do not have a standard "squared corners" frame. So on the advice of others, electric turkey cutter knife made it an EASY JOB!!! There's an outer sleeve for the mattress with a zipper, took that off first then turkey knifed the corners. Zipped her back up and looks perfect and "custom"...

FYI, when we bought these mattresses in Aug. 2020 they were $206 for the Queen sized ones... Definitely gone up a bit ($240!!!) but even at the $446 price I would still buy them again, boat AND house...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Scottwb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #15
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
If you like memory foam, it's a great option. Easy to buy, easy to ship, easy to get into and through the boat, and easy to cut to fit.

Just be sure you like memory foam. Not everyone does, including me. But it's all personal preference.

In pretty much every city you can find a custom mattress builder. We have used Gardner Mattress in Mass for literally generations. In Seattle there is Seattle Mattress, and probably others. It looks like the OP might be in Surrey, and I have to believe there are one or more custom mattress makers in the greater Vancouver area.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Saugatuck MI
Vessel Name: Odelay
Vessel Model: Transpac Eagle 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
We got our near queen-sized mattress in a box for $600.
Did you order your custom mattress online or get it locally?
Transpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #17

City: Victoria B.C.
High density memory foam......in addition to its other attributes mentioned above, its easier to clean than old fashioned ones. Its easy to haul on deck and hose down after visitors have spilt wine and otherwise made a mess of it. When I think of my brother and that sleazy bimbo he had along , it makes me feel like puking. My admiral wanted to throw the mattress away, or at least soak it in pure bleach.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:51 PM   #18

City: Drummond Island, MI
Vessel Name: Terrapin
Vessel Model: Florida Bay Coaster 42'
I bought Handcraft when the mattress size was custom, only problem is they don’t flip so they can wear out soon. Since then we have had boats with standard queens and we have liked Casper and Saatva foam mattresses that can be maneuvered in tight spaces.
Krogen Express 52 Florida West Coast
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Northern California
Vessel Name: The Janie C
Vessel Model: Uniflite 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
YES, what Dave said. In addition there are usually mattress manufacturers in mid size to large population centers that will layer whatever you’d like (ie. firm on bottom, smushy on top), cut it and cover it. Very easy to roll it up for installation. Or do what Dave suggested.

In Sacramento metro area with a population of 1.5m for instance, there are 2 manufacturers. One with slimy sales people and the other a 40+ year old family business where you deal with the owner. Two guesses which one I used!

Tak
Old 10-15-2021, 09:42 PM   #20

City: Brier, Washington
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
If you are in the greater Seattle area Sleep Eaze in Marysville will build a mattress for you to your exact dimensions and softness/hardness.
Halinbrier is offline   Reply With Quote