Cruising “Then” versus Now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Doctor’s Orders
Vessel Make
Cabo 35 Express Sportfish (For Sale)
This is a general question(s) for our seasoned cruisers. In doing my research about making the transition from offshore sport fishing to cruising, I’ve read back through some older postings along with current ones. I might me mistaken but I’m getting the impression that important things like proper anchorages, moorings and slips are becoming more scarce. Taking emergency port calls out of the discussion, are you finding safe anchorage, mooring or transient dockage harder to come by today than in previous years? Are you currently spending more time planning your routes than you used to? Are you having to make major changes to your plans in order to find overnight or extended locations to lay?

My primary area of interest is the Eastern Seaboard and coasts of the GOM.

I hope some of the veterans on here will take a minute and share your experiences because I’m certain I’m not the only person in this position in their boating life.

Thanks and regards,
Jeff

I spend more time looking for likely to be uncrowded areas, alternatives and backups.

I can only speak to the Chesapeake and the ICW north of New Bern NC, of which I have not had any issues finding slips or places to stay. Even during the busy summer months. You might not be able to stay in Ego Alley in Annapolis on a whim, but go to Eastport and I have never had an issue, even for multiple days. Just my $0.02.

Anchorages at least are just as available maybe more so than 20 years ago. The cruising crowd has evolved more to marinas and less anchoring out. That makes the anchorages if anything, less crowded.

David

Since we bought Irish Lady in 2014 we have found anchorages more crowded in Florida, especially with boats that are derelict.

Also traveling on weekends, holidays and snowbirding is where the bulges are in my experience between NJ and the Keys.

Even military recreational facilities have started rotation schedules throwing boaters and RVers out of destination areas after so many years to let others have a chance of visiting.

I would say it depends on weekdays or weekends, season, special events and other factors.

Getting winter dockage in Southwest Florida has gotten very tight the last 2 winters of covid and increased boat sales. Will that continue, who knows. Certainly there are more boats in anchores and the mooring fields are often full. That said, still not a problem to find a place to anchor. You might find it more difficult to visit smaller destinations such as Tarpon Springs.

In the last 2 years traveling the AICW, I haven't had a problem stopping at snow bird favorites like Osprey Marina in South Myrtle Beach, SC. While some anchorages may be fuller than I like, haven't had to pass on any yet.

On a positive note, municipal mooring fields seem to be increasing, especially in the South. Stayed in the one in Carolina Beach last fall and liked it so much I will spend a couple of nights there this month. They (as many municipalities) realize the moorings allow more boats safely in a given area. Many of these transients patronize local businesses which municipalities view as a big positive. The Carolina Beach harbormaster said the town had just approved expanding the field as they were clearly happy with the results. There's also a new mooring field at Jensen Beach, FL (just above Stuart).

Ted

On a positive note, municipal mooring fields seem to be increasing, especially in the South. Stayed in the one in Carolina Beach last fall and liked it so much I will spend a couple of nights there this month. They (as many municipalities) realize the moorings allow more boats safely in a given area. Many of these transients patronize local businesses which municipalities view as a big positive.

Not sure more mooring fields are really a positive note. And I don't think the municipalities are doing it for boaters' safety or to attract more of them. They're mostly doing it to prevent anchoring.

Well , mooring fields vs actually anchoring out is a big difference too.

So many folks have big, huge powerful windlasses with a 1000 feet of chain rode and a top of the line anchor in pristine condition. Never used!!!

Thanks for the responses. So far what I’m hearing is reassuring.

Not sure it should be, after a lifetime of rec boating and a 15 year career in commercial boating (another 23 in the USCG) iI am selling out from full time liveaboard/cruising as insurance, marinas, anchorages and just waterway use in seasonally desired areas is just too crowded for me. Of course maintaining an older boat has that angled burned out to.

I am not saying its bad or not fun still...just different for some old timers headed for different pastures.

I'm not familiar with East Coast cruising, but in the Puget Sound area the remote anchorages where I used to overnight are still there, but are now ringed with new houses (new being in the last 40 years). It is odd that Washington, along with most other states, passed legislation in the 1970's that required fairly large setbacks for new construction on shorelines, often 200 feet back from the shore higher high water line. I've seen nowhere that the legislation is enforced. The same lack of realistic enforcement is true with legislation regarding shoreline lot sizes. In rural areas, the minimum lot size is often +5 acres. But if a lot goes back 2,000 feet, it's possible to stack houses one against the other along the shoreline. Most likely, even one house per lot won't be enforced either and a short plat application will allow houses to be stacked behind the shoreline homes. I think the reason is that the County Building Department ignores the State's regulations. More McMansions along the shore equals more county tax revenue.

The anchorages of old are still there. It's just that some of them are like spending a night in a Walmart parking lot, complete with road noise and light pollution. And the anchorages may be now be a tangle of private mooring buoys.

I often come across people who have recently built and hear them say "We love it here, it's wonderful." I think to myself "you should have seen it before you came."

Caribbean has done down hill due to dependency upon tourism. Have pretty much given up on any island that’s a cruise ship destination. Charter boats have increased dramatically with both paid captains and bareboats with no seamanship nor concept of curtesy. Have learned to avoid the leewards and spend our time in the Windwards.
Side benefit of Covid is the industry collapsed for long enough that folks have shifted to alternative employment. Take awhile to rebuild. Unfortunately impact of MMCC is quite evident when snorkeling or diving let alone storm damage on land as well as shorelines.
In our other cruising grounds there’s just too many d-mn people. We’ve taken to anchoring where it’s safe but not necessarily a designated anchoring field. There are many such spots throughout L.I. sound and buzzards bay. Not so much in Naragansett bay without a bit of local knowledge. Block I. Is no longer a viable destination and not nearly as much fun as years past. Not a safe place to anchor given the high density of yo-yos.
One place that remains pristine is Washington county Maine since the collapse of the fishing and domestic lumber industries. Perhaps even more beautiful than 20 years ago. However, tinged with regret as you see the decaying buildings and towns that served those industries. Eastport is nearly a ghost town from what it once was.
In short if you want to find a nice quiet spot and sit back and enjoy nature not rap music or a spousal argument you’re going to have to search some. Still can be done but it’s an extra effort when you’re tired from your transit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom