Crossing U.S. and Canadian Border PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it tomorrow or May 6th at 7 pm?
Yes.
Straight from the posted article...

topic of discussion on May 6th at 7 p.m. PDT, hosted by Waggoner and NMTA (Northwest Marine Trade Association), with guest speaker Craig Norris from Victoria International Marina of British Columbia. If you are thinking about transiting B.C. waters to cruise in Southeast Alaska this summer, don’t miss this special Zoom Webcast.

There is also a link to a free webinar tomorrow...
https://waggonerguide.com/seattle-boat-show-live/
PUMPOUT! THERE IS AN APP FOR THAT!
APRIL 22, 2021 — 7 P.M.

Spinner said:
I got this for posting today. It’s the most up-to-date info re crossing BC at this time.

A great post Spinner; no nonsense, no Gov speak and easy to follow.

Should be read by every north bound captain and crew.
https://waggonerguide.com/

I liked the bits about being fully prepared, having a plan B, knowing the possibilities of being denied entry and just whose country it is.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 2.31.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 2.31.51 PM.png
    101.7 KB · Views: 32
Yes.
Straight from the posted article...

topic of discussion on May 6th at 7 p.m. PDT, hosted by Waggoner and NMTA (Northwest Marine Trade Association), with guest speaker Craig Norris from Victoria International Marina of British Columbia. If you are thinking about transiting B.C. waters to cruise in Southeast Alaska this summer, don’t miss this special Zoom Webcast.

There is also a link to a free webinar tomorrow...
https://waggonerguide.com/seattle-boat-show-live/
PUMPOUT! THERE IS AN APP FOR THAT!
APRIL 22, 2021 — 7 P.M.

Thank you. You are correct.

Seeing a few more boats heading north.....good sign:thumb:

For those travelling soon, it would be prudent to keep an eye on further Provincial restrictions coming to BC on Friday. They may not affect transit, but who knows. The laws are pretty inconsistent.

Maybe check this link from time to time. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restrictions

And be aware of the different health authorities:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/d...lth-boundaries/map_wall_health_boundaries.pdf

A transit goes through three or potentially four different health authorities. While you may be permitted by federal law, you may be violating provincial law, and subject to a fine. They apparently are giving LEOs the right to check residency randomly.

US boats transiting will also be subject to checks by the RCMP for the sole purpose of verifying their transiting authorization. In that event the boater will need to follow the float plan that they used to obtain the authorization.
Any stops for necessities, such as fuel, will require the boater to wear their mask when off their boat. Failure to do so will be a violation of a Provincial Government Order: https://www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/mo/mo/m0012_2021

Unless Seahorse has a good reason to have strayed off the direct route, that could be just the thing that affects you all. Maybe not a good sign.

The irresistible attraction of Kynock Inlet and Culpepper Lagoon. In good weather, why would you go any other way, even if it is a few extra miles?

Unless Seahorse has a good reason to have strayed off the direct route, that could be just the thing that affects you all. Maybe not a good sign.

When did Seahorse enter Canadian waters?

You are correct. On my float plan I have 10 stops and one for fuel over 8 days. Not only RCMP, the health folks might want to visit. Stay on the plan.
US boats transiting will also be subject to checks by the RCMP for the sole purpose of verifying their transiting authorization. In that event the boater will need to follow the float plan that they used to obtain the authorization.
Any stops for necessities, such as fuel, will require the boater to wear their mask when off their boat. Failure to do so will be a violation of a Provincial Government Order: https://www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/mo/mo/m0012_2021

Greetings,
Mr. k. "...attraction of Kynock Inlet and Culpepper Lagoon....even if it is a few extra miles?" NOT a direct route in contravention of the rules and would probably be considered "sightseeing". Also against the rules.

You see, here's the problem. If Seahorse stated they would go straight to Alaska and now they're not, they lied. They entered Canada under false pretenses therefore they are now in the country illegally and should be charged if caught.

Let's say dozens of boats do the same thing. What good are the restrictions if people ignore them?

Greetings,
Mr. k. "...attraction of Kynock Inlet and Culpepper Lagoon....even if it is a few extra miles?" NOT a direct route in contravention of the rules and would probably be considered "sightseeing". Also against the rules.

You see, here's the problem. If Seahorse stated they would go straight to Alaska and now they're not, they lied. They entered Canada under false pretenses therefore they are now in the country illegally and should be charged if caught.

Let's say dozens of boats do the same thing. What good are the restrictions if people ignore them?
I hope this isn't true. If it is they run the risk of being banned for life to ever entering Canada again. Not to mention those of us that want to pass and comply with the rules.

The irresistible attraction of Kynock Inlet and Culpepper Lagoon. In good weather, why would you go any other way, even if it is a few extra miles?
Why? Well for starters, Kynoch is a dead end.
So, if Seahorse ends up in Kynoch, a dead end, she is definitely off course and non-compliant.

If they didn’t like the look of the conditions in Milbank and didn’t want to push across to Finlayson, fair enough, yes Mathieson is a viable option and somewhat explainable. But Finlayson is easily accessible from Mathieson to get back on the most direct route.

Where is the line between direct and “a few miles” off in good weather?

sunchaser said:
When did Seahorse enter Canadian waters?

A valid question, to a point and one I thought of, but decided it just dredged up more questions than answers. Entry, crew nationality, past quarantines, non-essential travel and on and on. Bottom line, why are they cruising?

I first noticed her departing Newcastle Island (Nanaimo) on the 17th. Regardless of entry, we still need to look at why it is where it is and who is onboard. By all indications they are now “cruising” and even Canadians from Vancouver Island are expected to not go there.

So, we come back to my first comment “unless they have a good reason.” We may never know unless something hits the CBC.

I just think it raises a lot of questions, in what could be a good discussion

By the way, I've lost track of the legalities around Canadian captain and crew, on US vessels in Canadian waters and vice versa.

Anyone?

Just to add to my comment about "us" not behaving, if we go up there into another Health Authority, Cooper Yachts in Powell River is unable to put their charter boats into service for the same voluntary "compliance" reasons.

Well then again we are all speculating as we do not know the specifics and the approval by Canadians Customs.

By the way, I've lost track of the legalities around Canadian captain and crew, on US vessels in Canadian waters and vice versa.

Anyone?

We were nearby when a US flagged vessel was checked by the RCMP boat, in Desolation Sound last July. Turned out the RCMP left them alone when the owner proved his dual citizenship.

We were nearby when a US flagged vessel was checked by the RCMP boat, in Desolation Sound last July. Turned out the RCMP left them alone when the owner proved his dual citizenship.

Yes, before we keel haul the guy some facts are required. I've several dual citizen friends with US flagged vessels. Then there is the possibility of a US flagged vessel being handled by a Canadian crew. Then ---- yada yada. My US flagged vessel is indeed plying Canadian waters as the Sidney based maintenance guy is checking things out.

Wifey B: I don't want to go to Canada right now, but I desperately want to go to Italy. :cry::cry::cry:

Sorry, Canada. :)

I don't see what's wrong with Seahorse's route as shown in that chart. That's the route I would usually take unless the weather in Milbanke Sound is nice. Through Reid Passage, up past Rescue Bay, and then left through Jackson Passage.

"Direct, most reasonable" does not imply the shortest possible route. Weather and safety are taken into account.

Last edited:
I don't see what's wrong with Seahorse's route as shown in that chart. That's the route I would usually take unless the weather in Milbanke Sound is nice. "Direct, most reasonable" does not imply the shortest possible route. Weather and safety are taken into account.

We too often do the same, using Jackson Passage and the wonderful anchorage adjacent to Spaniel Point. Especially if the weather is awful off Ivory Island (quite common). I guess Sointula hasn't gone that route. If one is really brave and with a shallow draft fast vessel, the tidal rapids of Griffin Passage can be done rather than the safer Jackson Passage route.

Last edited:
sunchaser said:
We too often do the same, using Jackson Passage and the wonderful anchorage adjacent to Spaniel Point. Especially if the weather is awful off Ivory Island (quite common). I guess Sointula hasn't gone that route.

1-See, there you go; you are agreeing with me now. Jackson Passage was what I was referring to in my other post about crossing over to Finlayson.

2-The weather over that area; Milbank, Mathieson and Finlayson was the same yesterday.

3-You are all now just trying to justify a possible errant itinerant.

4-Pure speculation on the last point.

"by the most reasonable route"

Perhaps this was stated upon entry as their reasonable route.

Reasonable seems to be a word that has gone out of fashion during this pandemic.

The intent of the travel restrictions are to decrease the inter-person contact, not to punish the average citizen.

Hard cases make bad law.

"by the most reasonable route"

Perhaps this was stated upon entry as their reasonable route.

Reasonable seems to be a word that has gone out of fashion during this pandemic.

The intent of the travel restrictions are to decrease the inter-person contact, not to punish the average citizen.

Hard cases make bad law.

Good points.

Already it is being more widely accepted....as there are changes in COVID rules and guidance that it was much less about activity as it has been about personal behavior within that activity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom