Conditions around Nantucket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdkChris

Vessel Name
TBD
Vessel Make
TBD
Years ago a friend and I took a Cessna 172 along the south shore of Long Island to Nantucket. The air conditions were smooth but there was a stretch far from land were we could see whitecaps on a current in the water. I assume it was a tidal current funneled over a very shallow sand bar. Made a big impression on me. Looked like it would get your attention in a boat. Now that I am interested in boating it occurs to me to wonder how one would even know to look for such a thing so far from land?

Years ago a friend and I took a Cessna 172 along the south shore of Long Island to Nantucket. The air conditions were smooth but there was a stretch far from land were we could see whitecaps on a current in the water. I assume it was a tidal current funneled over a very shallow sand bar. Made a big impression on me. Looked like it would get your attention in a boat. Now that I am interested in boating it occurs to me to wonder how one would even know to look for such a thing so far from land?

Chart. Just like in the airplane. :D

Boating newbie.
Guess I would not even think to check the depth out in the middle of the ocean. Even if I saw the shallow depth I would not have expected such a current in the middle of the ocean. We did not see any buoys or other navigation aids. At trawler speeds it might have been hard to get out of once you were caught in the current.

Would that information even show up on a electronic chart plotter?

Nantucket Shoals. Charted. Very very unlikely you would be out there in a pleasure craft.

Boating newbie.
Guess I would not even think to check the depth out in the middle of the ocean. Even if I saw the shallow depth I would not have expected such a current in the middle of the ocean. We did not see any buoys or other navigation aids. At trawler speeds it might have been hard to get out of once you were caught in the current.

Yes. All, well 99.9999% of all hazards to navigation are on the charts. The very reason they were invented. Depth, obstructions, aids to navigation it's all on there. This is how one navigates. Same as the terrain countours on a sectional or the MSA's on an enroute chart. Data to keep you out of trouble. Why would the sea be any different from the air in this respect?

The attached is the 30,000 foot view, the red boxes represent smaller scale charts. You zoom in, or if you're using paper find the chart with the scale appropriate for your location.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 10.36.34 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 10.36.34 AM.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 74
You would more than likely be cruising on the Nantucket Sound side of Nantucket, unless you were fishing. There are a number of shoals that run E-W with strong tides and tide rips, but it's not outrageous. A couple of years ago, I was bucking a 3+ knot tide from Nantucket all the way to Woods Hole, and an almost 5kt opposing current going through woods hole.

Now electronic chart plotters even auto route for you taking into account your draft, although I wouldn't recommend using this function blindly it is an interesting feature, kinda like cars today with lane assist....

Now electronic chart plotters even auto route for you taking into account your draft, although I wouldn't recommend using this function blindly it is an interesting feature, kinda like cars today with lane assist....

If one NEEDS that one shouldn't be out there. :D

Now now, lets not be a boating snob now, my first trip into New York City I used an atlas, yea I know young and stupid, but man what a great trip!

There are many many shoals around Nantucket, Marthas Vineyard and Cape Cod. Being "far" from ANY land has little bearing on the possibility of shallow water, rocks, etc.

How would one know to look for such a thing? Before boating *anywhere* unfamiliar, you look over the charts (electronic or paper) and see what's there, decide where exactly to go or not to go, etc.

Ken

Hey, it's still above water..... :D

heh, the wife and I were out snorkeling off St. Lucia and I happened to notice a submerged buoy with a fair degree of pull on the anchoring line. I had to hook an arm around the wife and really put the legs to work to get us out of that current.

Back
Top Bottom