Old 06-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #41

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Salish Nomad
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
How about "two boat owner"? Think I'm gonna use that one when I sell.
Salish Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #42
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
The health issues excuse, well yeah, I’m sorta working up to that eventuality as well. Even my TF profile says “bad case of weaping butt furunkles”. I figured that when I posted the ad claiming health issues, the majority here would just assume that the weaping butt furunkles finally got the best of me.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #43
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
The health issues excuse, well yeah, I’m sorta working up to that eventuality as well. Even my TF profile says “bad case of weaping butt furunkles”. I figured that when I posted the ad claiming health issues, the majority here would just assume that the weaping butt furunkles finally got the best of me.
Thats straight up funny Larry!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #44

City: Flanders, NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
I'm selling because I'm moving and my lil bassey will not do to well in the open ocean. Even tho at times up here it can seem to be like the ocean....
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowLou View Post
I'm selling because I'm moving and my lil bassey will not do to well in the open ocean. Even tho at times up here it can seem to be like the ocean....
Wifey B: Well, if instead of naming it "Bassey" you'd named it "Ocean Explorer" perhaps it would have been more confident.

We sold our lake boat when we moved to the coast as well. It didn't have a cutesy name though. I'm sure the buyer was told our reason.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #46
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
When I sold my old wooden GB-42 after 29 years, I made no reference to why I was selling, and it sold in two weeks. I don't remember being asked way. But the reasons were age (mine), laziness (that'd be me again), and lack of desire to cruise long range anymore. Now I run the local waters with my hair on fire! Yahooo.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
I don't get why anyone would mention why they are selling or why anyone would ask.

As if people don't lie or as if it matters to begin with.
People are all all different. Some may want to know why, some may not; some may want to disclose, some may not; some may be offended by the question, some may not; some may lie, some may not. There doesn't seem much point in worrying about it.

I, for one, sold my last boat for health reasons and they were real. I honestly don't remember if I volunteered it or was asked or if it was discussed at all.

But you do have to understand why a dealer would put it in the listing: a certain percentage of people are going to ask. So those who want to know are mollified, those who don't care can ignore it. Very few will be turned away from an ad just because it cites health reasons for selling and those few probably wouldn't have bought it, anyway.
FatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #48

City: leesville
Because that's the only way I would sale my boat !
mike1151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #49
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I would think that the majority of those who are selling trawlers are at or near their last boat due to age.

So yes, I can see health issues being one of the most common reasons when shopping trawlers.

If it is health issues, and probably will be when I sell mine....unless it is because I am going to Mars and cant take it with me......I see no reason why I am selling it should be anyones business but mine??? Surely you are not buying it based on the reason for selling. You need a surveyor.

So I will just say, "Because I want to, do you want it or not???"
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #50

City: Courtenay, BC
Vessel Name: Steadfast
Vessel Model: 3870 Bayliner
Health issues are a solid reason to sell anything that is taxing your energy or time. I sold my last boat for health issues. It was a commercial fishing vessel and I was getting too old to still do the job without major pain. I then bought a 38' pleasure boat.

I have bought and sold a number of boats. I always ask the reason for the sale. I know I often got BS answers but often the truth which may or may not be significant information. I also ask if the individual was keeping the boat what improvements would they make in the vessel over the next five years. Every seller said that is an interesting question they had never been asked before. Always interesting answers. One can often tell whether the individual is candid or not from their answers.
Slider70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #51

City: Lake Ontario
Vessel Model: Trawler Shopping 35-40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
I think that ALL the former sailors on this site, when asked why they were selling their sail boats to buy trawlers were forthcoming with their respective reasons. I'm sure a percentage moved to power for health reasons.
I still sail, but am down to a trailer boat for various reasons*, and both age and health are the main reasons I'm in the market for a trawler now. Plus, the admiral hates the 'down in a hole' feel of a sailboat saloon, while I rather like it. But that's another issue.

*Mostly so I can noodle in the inaccessible Finger Lakes and difficult to access with a keel boat and giant mast Erie Canal, plus some Canadian lakes like Simcoe that are too far and/or difficult to get to in a timely fashion any other way, especially since we both still work.
TomandJeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandJeri View Post
I still sail, but am down to a trailer boat for various reasons*, and both age and health are the main reasons I'm in the market for a trawler now. Plus, the admiral hates the 'down in a hole' feel of a sailboat saloon, while I rather like it. But that's another issue.

*Mostly so I can noodle in the inaccessible Finger Lakes and difficult to access with a keel boat and giant mast Erie Canal, plus some Canadian lakes like Simco that are too far and/or difficult to get to in a timely fashion any other way, especially since we both still work.

40 years sailing and three months ago bought a trawler..."For Health Reasons" At 82 my wife is no longer able to man the foredeck.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #53
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
A lot of sellers lie, doesn't matter what they are selling.
Like the car only driven to the store, bingo, and church, by the sweet little old lady, and oil changed every 3 months. In reality that means, minimal service was done, and it was driven so hard that mere words cannot explain.

I am probably too honest, but would rather sell things truthfully. Sold a boat 2 months ago, when asked why, 'Its too small and lacks the amenities I want in a boat going ahead'. That was the absolute truth, and I bought a larger boat days later, with a full galley, head, bigger bed, etc.
CanadianBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #54
Guru

I dont think a lot of sellers lie. But I do think a lot of sellers dont tell everything unless asked. I bought a 2004 Lexus LS430 with just 51,000 miles on it last year. It was driven by a little old lady to and from the hospital less then 5,000 miles a year on a 23 mile freeway trip each way. Got lots of 60mph miles and was cared for meticulously by the dealer.

It wasnt a lie and didnt mean "minimal service was done, and it was driven so hard that mere words cannot explain".

I know it was true because I did my research. You NEVER listen to the owners statements except to tell you where to start your research. They dont lie usually, but sometimes dont tell all the truth unless asked.

Same on my boat. Got a real diamond in the rough that several previous owners did not even know they had. But my research thru ALL previous owners showed what a cream puff it was and the few discrepancies have been minor and inexpensive to correct. (so far, less than $100) Passed the USCG inspection with no discrepancies.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #55

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
I sold my sail boat because I wasn't comfortable sleeping there anymore. My wife didn't really understand that we just had enough room on the double bed for her to lie comfortably on her back while I had to stay on one side with my back against the fiberglass hull.

Sold my first trawler because of the financial crash of 2007/8.

Tried to buy another trawler from a guy who had divorced, bought the boat for a live-aboard. Then got remarried and did not use the boat for two years evidenced by the log and the hour meters.

Still in the process of buying my second trawler from a seller who wanted to down size. Funny, my worry about this boat is that it is too big for us.

Oh well.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:54 PM   #56
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Being a lawyer makes me skeptical I guess.
CanadianBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:04 PM   #57

City: Newport Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Emerald Isle
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 37
I laughed at your comment on "selling for health reasons."

I got a hernia, had surgery, got an infection from the surgery, got treated with antibotics, had a reaction to the antibiotics, went into 11 day coma, had a general organ failure in the coma where everything but my heart stopped, and woke up on dialysis and on the national organ transplant list.

Then I sold my boat, reluctantly, "for health reasons."
desnbca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #58
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Selling boat. Reason: I'm on the short list for the next Mars mission. Won't be able to use her for a while...

Old 06-25-2018, 08:38 PM   #59

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
And if "health reasons" is true, then what?
charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:00 PM   #60
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
And if "health reasons" is true, then what?
I think it`s intended to create interest by planting expectations of a bargain price without implying negatives about condition. The equivalent in real estate of a "deceased estate" sale, except then someone usually died.
I would always ask the "why" question, but with no particular expectation of a frank answer. Even so, it might disclose something, if only a disinclination to answer questions honestly.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote