A/C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gonesailing13

Vessel Name
Graceful
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
Started up the A/C today and noticed it wasn’t blowing very cold. Was wondering if these units have to or can be recharged.

What brand? I have a reverse cycle Dometic unit that gets a sticky reverse cycle solenoid. Occasionally I have to rap on it with the back of a screwdriver.

Yes, they can be recharged if that is the problem.

Lots of possibilities as to why it may not produce cold air. While you can recharge them, a loss of gas indicates a leak. That would need to be solved. Generally these systems have a high pressure cut out and often a low pressure cutout. As mentioned, it might be reversing valve related. Can you hear the compressor running? Often the display will have indicator lights to tell which mode it's in and sometimes when the compressor is running.

Ted

O C Driver has good advice. If your unit is reverse cycle (heating and cooling) invoke the heat. If the unit produces heat but does not cool, your reversing valve is stuck. If it is, you will have to replace the unit. Sometimes a stuck valve can be dislodged with light tapping on the tubing but most often that does not work. Repair is not worth it.

If you recharge the unit and it cools and then stops cooling later, you have a leak somewhere. If that leak is in an inaccessible place then you are in for some ripping and tearing. That happened to us for our v-berth unit. Fortunately we rarely used it and don't need it so I elected to remove the compressor from the engine room.

Are you getting enough or too much raw water though your system?

I have seen that in both cases, could cause that problem. A large flow can cause the gas to contract so the system goes into a low pressure fault.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom