butane on a boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ORIF

Vessel Name
TAMI II
Vessel Make
Tollycraft, 44 CPMY
Regarding safety of various gases on a boat, does anyone know any safety issues or proper storage methods for simple butane grill lighters and torches?

Is butane heavier than air and sink into the bilge like propane? Smaller quantity if it does.

Like I suspect most, I keep these on the boat in the galley but have always worried about them when the boat gets really hot inside while unattended in the middle of the summer.

Propane is heavier than air and butane is heavier than propane. I think the risk of a fire starting by a butane lighter failing is slim.

David

A small lighter probably isn't an issue. It would take something larger, like a spray paint can, to cause a problem. Many paints and lubricants (and hair spray) use propane/butane as the propellant. A pinhole leak in a steel spray cannister (or butane stove cannister) could fill the bilge.

I blow my bilge even with a diesel engine and no propane onboard, or when I've had spray cans aboard in the cabin (which I don't keep on board).

Here is an interesting study (or waste of time) about using various aerosols to fire a "potato cannon." Instructive in predicting which propellant will blow your anchor light the furthest.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1305/1305.0966.pdf#:~:text=The%20most%20effective%20experimental%20propellant,m%2Fs)%2C%20respectively.

Thanks.
What about simple risk of a grill lighter exploding from heat sitting in a hot boat in the middle of the summer.
If what I’m reading is correct, they’re to be stored in conditions less than 122°
I’m not sure how hot my boat interior gets but it can be pretty hot sometimes when I walk onboard midday here in SC

Last edited:
Thanks.
What about simple risk of a grill lighter exploding from heat sitting in a hot boat in the middle of the summer.
If what I’m reading is correct, they’re to be stored in conditions less than 122°
I’m not sure how hot my boat interior gets but it can be pretty hot sometimes when I walk onboard midday here in SC
I'm unaware of lighters exploding due to simple overheating. Venting, possibly.

Thanks.

Don’t know about butane containers exploding but a friend of mine had one of the handheld horns explode on his flybridge, fortunately no one was aboard at the time. But it did some damage, blew up a mahogany drink holder and blew holes in his bimini top. But his insurance came through and replaced the whole enclosure.

Thanks.

Can't say for your boat, but my boat in the summer in mid-Florida all shut up never got to 122 degrees.... a car will though.

Anyway, none of my lighters or aerosol cans were ever an issue.

@ORIF, I doubt you would have any issues with a few butane starters, unless you're planning to buy a box of 100 or more.

However, be careful of those tabletop butane cookers with the small disposable cans. They are great and we use them to cook Korean BBQ at our table, but once the butane can is punctured for the first time, they DO NOT seal tightly. Gas continues to leak. So store used cans outside on deck or better yet, use the entire can to cook your meal.

Back
Top Bottom