Is a built in toaster oven the smart choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
Our Mariner 37 came with a small microwave oven in the galley cabinet pocket. It fits reasonably well, but the trim around the pocket was enlarged by some previous owner so there must have been something else in there from the factory.

We rarely use a microwave at home and even more rarely on the boat, so I am planning to replace it with something. I see and read about folks baking bread and muffins and such in toaster ovens, so that's a likely candidate. We use an air fryer at home, so a combo toaster oven air fryer is even more likely. At least until I started thinking critically about it.

Our air fryer puts out a whole lot of hot air (since that's how they work). That's one thing at home in a big kitchen with plenty of air conditioning capacity, but a different matter on a boat with marginal cooling and big windows.

Similarly, most toaster ovens radiate a lot of heat. Calphalon makes a "cool touch" model with much better insulation, but it still vents hot air when air frying.

While I think the cabinet pocket can handle the heat, 20 minutes of making French fries at 400º will definitely heat up the salon. Same with baking bread or muffins or anything. Not a problem when it's cool, but most everywhere we boat and plan to boat has warm to hot summers. What do you guys do about the heat ovens produce? Does the smell and taste of fresh baked break offset any increased load on the AC or discomfort while the salon cools back down? What is the right appliance?

Attachments

• Escape galley.jpeg
    Escape galley.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 33
I’d be concerned about the installation clearance. A toaster oven requires 3-6” inches on the sides and top based on model and installation requirements. We looked at replacing our microwave with a microwave/convection oven and the amount of air space required around it killed.

Pretty funny because we just had this discussion at the breakfast table this morning while eating sourdough toast.

We have a mainship 34 pilot with a microwave, but I am sure it will turn out the hole is too small for a toaster oven, so....... maybe I can buy a toaster oven and store it somewhere else, and just bring it out every third day when I need to bake, and use it up above somewhere.

This would require serious negociation as there seem to be strenuous objections to the amount of storage taken up by tools on the boat......

If you can make one fit, I'd be looking at the microwave / convection oven combo units as a replacement (assuming you don't have an oven). There are some designed for built in mounting.

How do you make popcorn? A WhirleyPop?

You actually need a real countertop oven, not a toaster oven or a microwave combo.

You'll find good information about all of them in this article
https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/best-countertop-ovens

Pick out the one you like best that suits your budget...just be sure it's one that can be installed in an enclosed space. Mine is large enough for a 9x 13" casserole or a whole roasting chicken and has all the features of the oven in a stove including convection plus a toaster setting. I rarely use the oven in my stove unless I'm making something in a dutch oven or other pot that won't fit the countertop oven.

--Peggie

While I never disagree with Peggy, I think a better counter top appliance is the Ninja ol701, it does just about everything, except make toast. The only issue is where to store it.

What the heck is a WhirleyPop????

For years I've made popcorn in the microwave in a Presto PowerPop (you do NOT want the Orville REddenbacher version!)
https://www.amazon.com/Presto-04834-PowerPop-Microwave-Popcorn/dp/B00FN3LPYY

3 tablespoons of whatever popping corn you like makes a full pot without any oil. Use whatever you like to season or butter it after you put it in a bowl...there are a bunch to choose from.

--Peggie

While I never disagree with Peggy, I think a better counter top appliance is the Ninja ol701, it does just about everything, except make toast. The only issue is where to store it.

That's exactly the issue with countertop cooking appliances on the boat. You need a spot to put it while in use (ideally without blocking use of the stove) and also a place to stow it when not in use (unless it can be secured to the counter so it can't move).

I’d be concerned about the installation clearance. A toaster oven requires 3-6” inches on the sides and top based on model and installation requirements. We looked at replacing our microwave with a microwave/convection oven and the amount of air space required around it killed.

+1

If you can make one fit, I'd be looking at the microwave / convection oven combo units as a replacement (assuming you don't have an oven). There are some designed for built in mounting.

This

The built-in microwave-convection oven in the dirt house doesn't put out more heat than the normal oven. For the convection piece just think of it as an oven with the smaller box size.

So, that's what our new galley will have.

It can't hold a Thanksgiving turkey, but we don't need it to.

While I never disagree with Peggy, I think a better counter top appliance is the Ninja ol701,

To each his own, I guess...I've never been a fan of pressure cookers...don't like slow cookers/crock pots either.

--Peggie

Last edited:
We built in a convention microwave in a previous boat and I was concerned about heat inside the cabinet. So I used an outlet that senses draw and then powers another outlet. I plugged the microwave into the sensing outlet and used a 120 volt continuous duty bilge pump to evacuate the heat from the cabinet. Worked great. I got the sense outlet at Sears but they no longer make them. Check woodworkers supply stores like Rockler.

The convection microwave was my first plan, but I found none small enough to fit in the opening dimensions.

I only occasionally use the microwave, mostly for popcorn. I have never used the regular oven although I have occasionally wrapped food in foil and used my grill like an oven.

I guess I just do not see the need.

BTW, we eat really well on the boat.

pete

This is what I used for the power to the bilge blower to evacuate the heat. The ones I have are Craftsman but this looks just like them. Saw it on rockler.com.

i-Socket Autoswitch Workshop Tool and Vacuum Switch

I guess I just do not see the need.

Time will tell for us, but I am captivated by the though of fresh bread, omelet cups, blueberry muffins, and the occasional cookies. I want to have a way to bake stuff like that.

We use our air fryer a few times a week too.

A turkey too

This thread has appeared and appeared many many time with no real success.
I have other things to do so, I guess this project will be the next owner’s problem. LOL

This is what I used for the power to the bilge blower to evacuate the heat. The ones I have are Craftsman but this looks just like them. Saw it on rockler.com.

i-Socket Autoswitch Workshop Tool and Vacuum Switch

I'm glad you clarified that because I sure as heck didn't know how a bilge pump would work to remove the heat! :)

What the heck is a WhirleyPop????

For years I've made popcorn in the microwave in a Presto PowerPop (you do NOT want the Orville REddenbacher version!)
https://www.amazon.com/Presto-04834-PowerPop-Microwave-Popcorn/dp/B00FN3LPYY

3 tablespoons of whatever popping corn you like makes a full pot without any oil. Use whatever you like to season or butter it after you put it in a bowl...there are a bunch to choose from.

--Peggie

OK, so some years ago we stopped doing microwave popcorn because of the forever chemicals involved (PFAS). Sorry!!!

And I don't use microwaves anyway, and have taken them off of any boat I have bought. I admit I would have liked to have warmed a cup of coffee from time to time, but I don't miss getting back the countertop real estate they use.

So, I use an air popper at home, or over the stove with oil. Which of these would suit for that? I do love my buttered popcorn, though have never done it in the boat. Sounds like a great idea.

Great thread, BTW. This could be a real solution to offshore cooking.

You don’t mention your size requirements. I took a Breville combo micro/convection/air fryer counter top unit and installed it in a cabinet. I lined the cabinet with some very thin insulation ceramic and vented the unit outside. I hooked up a computer fan to a heat sensor to draw air through.

I built one of these into my boast and love it:
-- https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MC12J8035CT-Countertop-Convection-Microwave/dp/B0BHNT9RMW/

The trim kit is actually a vent-and-trim kit. It wraps around and attaches to the air vents and causes it to vent from the front, from under the front of the trim kit, rather than the back or sides.

It does everything I need and then some....microwave....convection oven....air fryer...grill(*)...and combinations thereof that individual appliances can't do.

I've attached a picture of part of a Thanksgiving dinner from a couple of years ago.

Of course, not knowing your dimensions, I don't know whether you can make this work or not.

I did try a Ninja unit at one point. And, it diod have the pressure cooking that this doesn't have. And, it could act like a slow cooker, and this can't. But it wasted counter space, was a pain to stow, and was a pain to clean. This gave me space by getting built in and combining the oven and microwave and is easy to clean. I do have a slow cooker, that I occasionally use, but it doesn't waste too much space, because I store things in it, except while in use.

(*) The "grill" is actually an "upside-down grill" in some sense. The heating elements it uses for this feature are at the very top of the unit. To use the grill feature, one chooses the "Grill" feature and also uses an elevation rack to bring the food right underneath them. It sure does brown things nice, though.

Attachments

• 20211125_171127.jpg
    20211125_171127.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211125_155119.jpg
    20211125_155119.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I don't think a toaster-oven would be great in a small unvented space.

OTOH, there are "countertop" microwave/convection ovens (some will also air fry) that could maybe work... if you can find one that will fit into the enclosure.

Ours is a Panasonic microwave/convection/air fryer... seems to work well enough. Previous boat, we had a Sharp (pre-dated "air frying") and it worked well... including a Thanksgiving turkey while we were aboard one year.

We tend to only use the microwave feature for popcorn and reheating leftovers. The convection part is for roasting, baking, etc. Dunno what an air fryer is; we haven't experimented.

All this augmented by a small Instant Pot and a slow cooker... latter a bit redundant, once we got the Instant Pot... but we already had it onboard so occasionally we use that, especially for meals that are too large for the IP.

-Chris

Last edited:
I'm a contractor and do tons of kitchens. Counter top units are for countertops. Do not put them into cabinets. Only use appliances rated and designed to go into a cabinet. They normally have extra heat shielding and the venting comes in and out the front. Most counter top models vent onto the sides or rear causing a fire risk in a cabinet.

Remember in the venting is grease. You will get a build up of the vented grease in the cabinet. It is in an area you cannot sea or clean .

Do a quick internet search . you will fine Microwave / air friers now that fit into cabinets like you have.

On my last boat I had a microwave / pizza drawer . It was built in and the drawer was like a mini broiler./ oven We did a lot with it.

Last edited:
We tend to only use the microwave feature for popcorn and reheating leftovers. The convection part is for roasting, baking, etc. Dunno what an air fryer is; we haven't experimented.

-Chris

An air fryer is basically a small scale convection oven. It doesn't really "fry" but is quicker than a toaster oven and will make things like wings a little crispy. I have one at home and rarely use it. It would probably work good on a boat as a countertop appliance if you have the room to store and use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Oilless-AirF...fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840&th=1

You don’t mention your size requirements. I took a Breville combo micro/convection/air fryer counter top unit and installed it in a cabinet. I lined the cabinet with some very thin insulation ceramic and vented the unit outside. I hooked up a computer fan to a heat sensor to draw air through.

The interior is larger than the opening by an inch or so, and the enclosure is plenty deep from front to back to accommodate a ventilation fan, but the engine room below isn't a great place for oven venting.

The Calphalon model I have/had in mind is the Cool Touch Convenction Oven + Air Fryer. Still has a vent in the back, of course.

Remember in the venting is grease. You will get a build up of the vented grease in the cabinet. It is in an area you cannot sea or clean .

Do a quick internet search . you will fine Microwave / air friers now that fit into cabinets like you have.

That's a very good point. The intersection of specialty designs and small size requirements really limit the choices.

Attachments

• Calphalon Air Fryer Oven for Escape.jpg
    Calphalon Air Fryer Oven for Escape.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 16
If you are going to proceed like this. put the unit on the table and turn on full. The hottest you can get it . Then touch it. See what kind of heat it actually produces. Secondly fully wrap the inside of the cabinet in some 1/4 cement board then top with sheet steel. 22-23 gauge you can get at the local hvac shop. This will give you some heat protection and keep the grease from soaking into the wood. You can periodically remove the unit and clean. If you use a fan in the cabinet make sure it only vents out into the galley space. You don't want to send the grease into the ER or any trapped cavity.

Back
Top Bottom